News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

New Viking voyage to Newfoundland discovered

Started by jimmy olsen, June 07, 2013, 12:37:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ed Anger

Quote from: HVC on June 07, 2013, 10:01:11 AM
My parents are continental porkchops dammit!

They are fine people.  :)

You however, are an eggplant.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Viking

Quote from: viper37 on June 07, 2013, 10:07:12 AM
Quote from: Viking on June 07, 2013, 06:32:48 AM
Note, the other two lands the vikings found in addition to Vinland (and it does mean wine-land) were Markland (forest-land) and Helluland (stone-land)
Helluland makes sense for Baffin Island, but Markland could be anywhere in North America at the time.

Using our knowledge of Viking navigation. The path from Vestribyggd (modern Nuuk) would have been straight west to Baffin Island, then south down past Labrador all the way down to Newfoundland. They would have known they were on the same latitude as England once the reached Newfoundland - where the excavated settlment is located. They wouldn't have strayed out of sight of land and once they reach the tip of newfoundland sailing geography becomes complicated you don't know what is an island as opposed to the mainland and what is a fjord as opposed to a strait. Today Baffin Island is considered to be Helluland, Labrador to be Markland and Newfoundland to be Vinland. Note Vikings made wine from berries, not grapes.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

dps

Quote from: HVC on June 07, 2013, 06:43:31 AM
Note, the other two lands the vikings found in addition to Vinland (and it does mean wine-land) were Markland (forest-land) and Helluland (stone-land)
add Greenland and Iceland to that list and it shows just how original your people were :D

Calling that big island "Greenland" may not have been original, but it was a bit of creative advertising.

PDH

Quote from: Viking on June 07, 2013, 09:15:57 AM
BTW, it doesn't stop there, virtually every single indigenous local name is a variant of "land of the people".

One of the funny things I saw over and over in Anthropology was the 1st or 2nd year student learn that every group's name for themselves is "The People" (more or less).  They imagine they have stumbled onto something momentous, instead they have learned about how groups see themselves (and the rest of people not in the group), not much more.
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

HVC

Quote from: Ed Anger on June 07, 2013, 10:49:28 AM
Quote from: HVC on June 07, 2013, 10:01:11 AM
My parents are continental porkchops dammit!

They are fine people.  :)

You however, are an eggplant.
dammit, I keep getting demoted.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

alfred russel

Quote from: Viking on June 07, 2013, 06:50:20 AM
Quote from: HVC on June 07, 2013, 06:43:31 AM
add Greenland and Iceland to that list and it shows just how original your people were :D

We are brief and descriptive. Hemingway got it from somewhere. But to go to national etymology

France - Land of the Free People
Germany - Land of the People
England - Land of the Angles
Russia - Red Haired Peoples Place
America - Amerigo Vespuccis Place
Australia - Country in the South

etc. We just got language right the first time round and we haven't had ours corrupted and bastardized (in your case by arabs).

I can't speak for the rest, but I don't think that is an accurate etymology of America...it was named after Amerigo Vespucci, but I don't think it mean that it was his place.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

HVC

Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.