News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Partisan Bias in Polls

Started by Jacob, June 07, 2013, 01:12:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jacob

Apparently people answer factual questions differently based on their affiliation; but when they have a chance to benefit from giving factually correct answers the partisan bias decreases significantly.

http://marginalrevolution.com/marginalrevolution/2013/06/55494.html

Eddie Teach

Most of the questions mentioned are ones I wouldn't expect most people to actually know.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on June 07, 2013, 01:26:53 PM
Most of the questions mentioned are ones I wouldn't expect most people to actually know.

The WMD one is a gimme.  Inflation falling under Reagan is close to a gimme.

Jacob

Quote from: Admiral Yi on June 07, 2013, 01:30:04 PM
Quote from: Peter Wiggin on June 07, 2013, 01:26:53 PM

The WMD one is a gimme.  Inflation falling under Reagan is close to a gimme.

... but even if it isn't, you can answer "I don't know" instead of whatever answer supports your party.

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Admiral Yi on June 07, 2013, 01:30:04 PM
Inflation falling under Reagan is close to a gimme.

Maybe in 1988 it was. Though I'm not even sure about that. Inflation rate is a wonky thing that normal people aren't going to know unless they read a news story about it. They notice when food or gas prices go up, but even there they won't keep track of how much it went up this year vs how much it was going up 5 years ago.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

merithyn

This part kind of frightens me.

QuoteSubsequent research found that correcting these kinds of errors actually made the situation worse. Brendan Nyhan of Dartmouth and Jason Reifler of Georgia State found that Republicans presented with news articles pointing out that there were no WMDs in Iraq were more likely to say that such weapons were found than Republicans who didn't read those articles. The truth, in other words, triggered a partisan backlash.

Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

Berkut

Quote from: Jacob on June 07, 2013, 01:12:55 PM
Apparently people answer factual questions differently based on their affiliation; but when they have a chance to benefit from giving factually correct answers the partisan bias decreases significantly.

Normally, I would agree with such an article, but I was recently told by someone on the internet that people don't in fact respond to such survey's based on what they want to be true, rather than what they actually think, so I know it must be wrong.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

crazy canuck

Quote from: Berkut on June 07, 2013, 02:37:34 PM
Quote from: Jacob on June 07, 2013, 01:12:55 PM

Normally, I would agree with such an article, but I was recently told by someone on the internet that people don't in fact respond to such survey's based on what they want to be true, rather than what they actually think, so I know it must be wrong.

You were told that researchers can control for this kind of bias in well designed research projects.  Ignoring that fact is good evidence of the kind of bias reported in this article. :P

Berkut

Why in the world would you assume I was talking about your double secret academic study that you could not actually provide a source for?

That one doesn't even rise to the level of an actual study or poll - it is just something that you apparently kind of recall from back in the day that was so persuasive it never even got published anywhere that is accessible via electrons.

0 rows returned

crazy canuck

Quote from: Berkut on June 07, 2013, 02:50:04 PM
Why in the world would you assume I was talking about your double secret academic study that you could not actually provide a source for?

:frusty:

If all knowledge was reduced to only links that can be provided to attack dogs on languish the world would be poorer indeed.

Berkut

That might be true, but THIS particular knowledge would make the world a better place if it actually existed in some form outside your brain.

That is the nature of knowledge - it is so much more useful when it exists in some actual form that people can access. Otherwise, it is just faith.

And I don't have much faith in your ability to reasonably respond to my questions about how the double secret study was done and its conclusions that just so happen to perfectly fit what you needed them to fit...

0 rows returned