Student scolded for saving a life; School doesn’t ‘condone heroics’

Started by jimmy olsen, June 04, 2013, 05:20:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jimmy olsen

Saw this on Scipio's facebook page, sadly, this sort of imbecility isn't limited to Canada.

http://www.davidmcelroy.org/?p=18283
Student scolded for saving a life; School doesn't 'condone heroics'

by David McElroy

Briar MacLean and mom

When 13-year-old Briar MacLean saw a bully put another student into a headlock in class last Tuesday, that wasn't the worst of it.

"I heard the flick, and I heard them say there was a knife," the Calgary, Alberta, teen told Canada's National Post.

He quickly stepped up and pushed the bully out of the way. The teacher came from the other side of the room and the principal was called. Briar was obviously a hero for saving the other boy from the bully's knife.

It wasn't until later in the day that it became clear that the school didn't see it that way. Leah O'Donnell, Briar's mother, said a vice principal called from the school to say that her son had been involved in an "incident" and that he had decided to "play hero." She was told that Briar's action had been wrong.

"I asked: 'In the time it would have taken him to go get a teacher, could that kid's throat have been slit?'" O'Donnell told the National Post. "[The vice principal] said yes, but that's beside the point. That we 'don't condone heroics in this school.'"

According to the rules of the Calgary Board of Education, Briar should have left the victim to his fate while he went off to get the attention of an adult to come intervene. Instead, he did the right thing by potentially saving another child's life — only to be investigated, lectured and have his locker searched, as though he were a criminal.

O'Donnell said she teaches her children to stand up to bullies and that this isn't the first time her son has gotten into a trouble for the same thing.

I don't know about you, but I'd rather live in a society full of people like Briar MacLean and Leah O'Donnell than with the myopic people who run the Calgary Board of Education. Yes, it's a good thing to teach kids to avoid fights, but the "one size fits all" nature of the school system's robotic application of the rules is wrong-headed.

We need more heroes. Sometimes those who try to help can be hurt. There's always that chance. But those who choose to help others should be lauded and emulated, not treated as though they simply need to watch helplessly while others are hurt or killed.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Jacob

When this story made the rounds on facebook a few days ago, there was a bit about the parents of the bullied child taking Brian on a trip to Disneyland.

HVC

If the tackled bully had been hurt the school would have been sued. It's lawyers and parents fault. In that order.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

CountDeMoney

I guess if you go through life with a name like Briar, you're going to be ready to come correct at 13.

Jacob

Valmy

Quote from: Jacob on June 04, 2013, 05:53:54 PM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on June 04, 2013, 05:45:56 PM
A kid who pulls a knife is a "bully?"  :huh:

You think he's the victim here?

I guess I do not consider attempting to murder somebody 'bullying' unless we want to just make everything bad that anybody ever does bullying.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Camerus

In the context of an insanely litigious culture, I'd say the school's response makes a lot of sense.

Josquius

Yeah. It happens. Even if the kid being bullied himself is the one to get the bully he gets in trouble.
██████
██████
██████

MadImmortalMan

Quote from: Pitiful Pathos on June 04, 2013, 06:35:04 PM
In the context of an insanely litigious culture, I'd say the school's response makes a lot of sense.

Sadly true.

One thing that really bugs me about modern human civilization is that we've gone full retard on avoiding risk. Risk-taking is what got us out of the caves, and it should be encouraged to some extent still.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

crazy canuck

QuoteIn the time it would have taken him to go get a teacher, could that kid's throat have been slit?'

:rolleyes:

Possible.  But highly improbable.  I think it is also hyperbole to suggest that he saved the kids life.  This sounds a lot like helicopter parents to the rescue.