Student scolded for saving a life; School doesn’t ‘condone heroics’

Started by jimmy olsen, June 04, 2013, 05:20:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

garbon

Quote from: crazy canuck on June 05, 2013, 11:45:47 AM
QuoteIn the time it would have taken him to go get a teacher, could that kid's throat have been slit?'

:rolleyes:

Possible.  But highly improbable.  I think it is also hyperbole to suggest that he saved the kids life.  This sounds a lot like helicopter parents to the rescue.

Yeah I gotta say that they definitely overplayed that bit.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Siege

Why? Do you think a knife is not deadly or do you think the asshole would have not stabbed the kid?

If it is the first, you are very wrong, if the second, you definitively have no way to predict the what the guy with the knife was going to do.

"All men are created equal, then some become infantry."

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't."

"Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!"

crazy canuck

Quote from: Siege on June 05, 2013, 11:56:35 AM
Why? Do you think a knife is not deadly or do you think the asshole would have not stabbed the kid?

If it is the first, you are very wrong, if the second, you definitively have no way to predict the what the guy with the knife was going to do.

Really.  According to the parents the victim was in a headlock with a knife going for his throat.  If you buy that then some other kid bumping into the two of them is probably going to make it even more likely the knife finds its target.

It sounds a lot like an after the fact justification.  But I can see how the story would appeal to the red necks - which is essentially the target audience of this particular newspaper.  ie the way the story was written says more about the newspaper's attempt to stay relevant with its subscribers than anything else.

Siege

Quote from: crazy canuck on June 05, 2013, 12:13:59 PM
Quote from: Siege on June 05, 2013, 11:56:35 AM

Really.  According to the parents the victim was in a headlock with a knife going for his throat.  If you buy that then some other kid bumping into the two of them is probably going to make it even more likely the knife finds its target.

Really? If I have you in a headlock with a knife going for your throat your ONLY chance is that someone stops me. Your last worry should be somebody bumping into us. Actually, somebody bumping into us might make me miss my mark. But then, I would never go for the throat. That's for amateurs and movies. You got for the heart if you can, center mass if you can't. And never try to cut, you want to use your knife as a thrusting weapon, not slashing or cutting. Cutting the throat would not kill anybody. The part that is lethal on the neck, is 2 inches long from to top to bottom, and 2 inches wide from side to side. You are better off thrusting your knife into your enemy's chest, wheather you get a vital organ or not, than to try to go for such an small target in the side of the neck. Your adrenaline release will fuck up your accuracy anyway. Go center-mass, where the big organs are.

"All men are created equal, then some become infantry."

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't."

"Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!"

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Pitiful Pathos on June 04, 2013, 06:35:04 PM
In the context of an insanely litigious culture, I'd say the school's response makes a lot of sense.

Canada is an insanely litigious culture?
Is everyone channeling Neil today?
Is there any concrete basis to conclude that the school's rule has anything to do with litigation?
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

crazy canuck

Quote from: Siege on June 05, 2013, 12:29:27 PM
Really? If I have you in a headlock with a knife going for your throat your ONLY chance is that someone stops me.

You should write for the National Post.  You are pretty good at hyperbole.

Malthus

My understanding is that it is reasonably commonplace, if there has been a fight of any sort, for the school authorities to impose discipline on everyone involved - even if the "fight" is some bullies beating up on a kid. It is simply easier for the authorities, who don't have to exercise any judgment that way, or sort out the conflicting accounts of WTF happened. That definitely would inspire a degree of "helecoptering" on a parent's part - writing letters, documenting stuff, etc. in order to convince the authorities to do some justified discrimination.

In this case, assuming the facts as stated are true, seems like the cops would be involved, not just the school authorities.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

crazy canuck

Quote from: Malthus on June 05, 2013, 01:01:45 PM
In this case, assuming the facts as stated are true, seems like the cops would be involved, not just the school authorities.

Yeah, which is one of the main reason I think this story is slanted to say the least.  If this kid really was a "hero" one would expect the story to be that the police took the "bully" into custody and charged him with attempted murder.

Crazy_Ivan80

Valmy

Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Malthus

The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Richard Hakluyt

Warspite

" SIR – I must commend you on some of your recent obituaries. I was delighted to read of the deaths of Foday Sankoh (August 9th), and Uday and Qusay Hussein (July 26th). Do you take requests? "

OVO JE SRBIJA
BUDALO, OVO JE POSTA

Camerus

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on June 05, 2013, 12:48:31 PM
Quote from: Pitiful Pathos on June 04, 2013, 06:35:04 PM
In the context of an insanely litigious culture, I'd say the school's response makes a lot of sense.

Canada is an insanely litigious culture?
Is everyone channeling Neil today?
Is there any concrete basis to conclude that the school's rule has anything to do with litigation?

Are you seriously wondering whether the school's policies and responses involving safety and incidents, particularly violent ones, are not informed in large part by a fear of law suits?