News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Does the GOP need young voters?

Started by Jacob, June 03, 2013, 03:59:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Razgovory

Quote from: Neil on June 03, 2013, 04:26:05 PM
Under 30s don't vote, and usually get policy matters wrong anyways.

Good point.  They voted for Nixon after all.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Jacob

Quote from: derspiess on June 03, 2013, 04:46:57 PMWorst thing for the GOP would be for the current GOP leadership to try to develop an active strategy to try to appeal to young voters.  It would come off as fake & would not only fail, but backfire.

Passive, grass roots measures could help.  But the GOP leadership generally sucks at outreach.

In the branding section of the document they noted that the key attributes that matter to younger voters are "intelligence, competence, hard work, and responsibility" - items which you could argue (and I'd expect you personally to argue) should be winnable for Republicans; though the Todd Akins (R) of the party are making that harder it seems.

Jacob

Anyhow, the conclusion of the report offers five recommendations for increasing the number of young garbons relative to the number of young Ideologues:
Quote1) Focus on the economic issues that affect young people today: education, the cost of health care, unemployment.

...significant numbers, including a majority of black and Hispanic young people, hope to start a business one day. Policies that lower taxes and regulations on small business are quite popular. Yet our focus on taxation and business issues has left many young voters thinking they will only reap the benefits of Republican policies if they become wealthy or rise to the top of a big business. We've become the party that will pat you on your back when you make it, but won't offer ahand to help you get there.

2) Capture the brand attributes of intelligence, hard work, and responsibility.

Luckily for Republicans, what young people want to be thought of even more than cool is intelligent... we must underscore the way our policies support those young people who are themselves intelligent, hardworking, and responsible.

3) Don't concede "caring" and "open-minded" to the left.

When it comes to the issue of caring, the Republican Party can push back by promoting a narrative of economic growth and opportunity, with policies behind it that clearly show how those who are down on their luck or disadvantaged aren't left out. If we don't believe that Republicans are the "fend for yourself" party, then it's time for us to explain why – and to show our work.

4) Fix the debt and cut spending, but recognize that messages about "big government" are the least effective way to win this battle of ideas with young voters.

...reducing the size of government isn't the outcome that really matters most to young people. It is a means to achieving better things like economic growth, yes, but the focus must be on the outcomes rather than on treating "big government" itself as the enemy

5) Go where young voters are and give them something to share.

...most importantly, it means creating online content that is interesting, funny, or positive, and that makes someone want to share it with their friends because it makes them seem interesting and funny.

Thoughts?

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Jacob

Neil

It's hard to capture the brand value of intelligence when a huge part of your base will vote for moronic obscurantism at every turn.

Still, I wonder if there's hay to be made by telling young people that they've been lied to and that education is a racket.  It seems unlikely.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Sheilbh

Let's bomb Russia!

katmai

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Ideologue

Quote1) Focus on the economic issues that affect young people today: education, the cost of health care, unemployment.

I.e., actually fucking governing.  Let me know when this bold initiative has begun.

Quote...significant numbers, including a majority of black and Hispanic young people, hope to start a business one day. Policies that lower taxes and regulations on small business are quite popular. Yet our focus on taxation and business issues has left many young voters thinking they will only reap the benefits of Republican policies if they become wealthy or rise to the top of a big business. We've become the party that will pat you on your back when you make it, but won't offer ahand to help you get there.

2) Capture the brand attributes of intelligence, hard work, and responsibility.

Luckily for Republicans, what young people want to be thought of even more than cool is intelligent... we must underscore the way our policies support those young people who are themselves intelligent, hardworking, and responsible.

What Neil said.

Quote3) Don't concede "caring" and "open-minded" to the left.

When it comes to the issue of caring, the Republican Party can push back by promoting a narrative of economic growth and opportunity, with policies behind it that clearly show how those who are down on their luck or disadvantaged aren't left out. If we don't believe that Republicans are the "fend for yourself" party, then it's time for us to explain why – and to show our work.

I.e., abandon the evil ideology of the Reppublican Party.  Sure, I'm for it.

Quote4) Fix the debt and cut spending, but recognize that messages about "big government" are the least effective way to win this battle of ideas with young voters.

...reducing the size of government isn't the outcome that really matters most to young people. It is a means to achieving better things like economic growth, yes, but the focus must be on the outcomes rather than on treating "big government" itself as the enemy

I.e., use deceit, which has been extremely effective with Olds and Boomers.

Quote5) Go where young voters are and give them something to share.

I.e., try to be hip.  Best of luck!

QuoteThoughts?

Can't work.  The GOP shall remain in shadow for many years.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

garbon

Quote from: Jacob on June 03, 2013, 05:44:09 PM
increasing the number of young garbons relative to the number of young Ideologues:

There's a world worth living in. :wub:
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Ideologue

Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

garbon

Oh, I mean you can be rehabilitated. Come up to the Big Apple.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

CountDeMoney