Enormous repercussions as Supreme Court weighs DNA sampling during arrests

Started by jimmy olsen, June 01, 2013, 08:36:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Do police have the right to take a DNA sample after an arrest?

It's Constitutional
6 (33.3%)
It's Unconstitutional
12 (66.7%)

Total Members Voted: 17

Tonitrus

When Scalia sides in a dissent with the "liberal" judges...I tend to think that side is worthy of favor.

Admiral Yi

If Scalia joined the liberal minority, which liberal joined the conservative majority?

Kleves

My aim, then, was to whip the rebels, to humble their pride, to follow them to their inmost recesses, and make them fear and dread us. Fear is the beginning of wisdom.

Admiral Yi

Razgovory

I found it interesting. 

I am curious about something: Can DNA tests give off false positives?
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Barrister

Quote from: Razgovory on June 03, 2013, 11:30:49 PM
I found it interesting. 

No.

They break it down in terms of numbers - the odds of the sample and the known having the same profile is one in 1,000, or 1 in 1,000,000, or one in 1,000,000,000 (for example).  The DNA experts I know will refuse to call a one in a million chance an actual match.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

DGuller

Quote from: Barrister on June 03, 2013, 11:39:38 PM
I found it interesting. 

No.

They break it down in terms of numbers - the odds of the sample and the known having the same profile is one in 1,000, or 1 in 1,000,000, or one in 1,000,000,000 (for example).  The DNA experts I know will refuse to call a one in a million chance an actual match.
Which makes very good sense, especially given that with DNA fishing like this you have to be very wary of prosecutor's fallacy.  One in a million match means ten people in NYC would test positive for that open rape case.

Barrister

Quote from: DGuller on June 03, 2013, 11:48:33 PM
I found it interesting. 

No.

Which makes very good sense, especially given that with DNA fishing like this you have to be very wary of prosecutor's fallacy.  One in a million match means ten people in NYC would test positive for that open rape case.

We have good experts. -_-

They don't like using the numbers though - they prefer "is a match", "is not a match" and "can not be excluded".  The "Can not be excluded" category covers the one in a million type stuff. 

garbon

I found it interesting. 

No.

Oh Law & Order! :wub:
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

DGuller

Quote from: Barrister on June 03, 2013, 11:50:37 PM
Quote from: DGuller on June 03, 2013, 11:48:33 PM
I found it interesting. 

No.

We have good experts. -_-

They don't like using the numbers though - they prefer "is a match", "is not a match" and "can not be excluded".  The "Can not be excluded" category covers the one in a million type stuff.
Another very good practice, IMO.  Giving numbers to people who can misinterpret them is dangerous, especially when the stakes are so high, and honest misinterpretation is so easy to make without solid statistical grounding.

Razgovory

I found it interesting. 

No.

Even if it's a blood relative?  I have family members who... sometimes do not so nice things.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Barrister

Quote from: Razgovory on June 04, 2013, 12:18:28 AM
I found it interesting. 

No.

Even if it's a blood relative?  I have family members who... sometimes do not so nice things.

Unless it's an identical twin (in which case - I don't know what they do) they can absolutely distinguish between blood relatives.

Razgovory

CountDeMoney

The police and lab personnel can still manage to fuck it up with incompetence in a variety of ways just like any other form of evidence, so you'll always have those percentages out there.

jimmy olsen

If it's limited to felony arrests, I suppose that limit's better than nothing.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point