News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Sci-fi/Fantasy recommendations

Started by Sheilbh, May 30, 2013, 07:47:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eddie Teach

Brooks is indeed very bad. I'm not sure that I like him better for having suckered me into reading a whole book.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

grumbler

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on November 01, 2013, 08:49:00 PM
Raz is not my enemy. At least, I hope not. :unsure:
And Napoleon probably didn't originate that quote.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

grumbler

Quote from: Neil on November 01, 2013, 10:21:45 PM
Quit faggoting up the threads, grumbler.

Oops. Sorry.  I didn't mean to steal your schtick.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

grumbler

Quote from: Agelastus on November 02, 2013, 03:35:05 AM
Goodkind is, if not the worst author I've ever come across, certainly a member of the top three worst. I tried reading his first book many years ago and gave up somewhere around page 100 or so. By which point I already disliked both of his main characters, let alone his "prose".

Everything I've heard since makes me glad of that decision.

Brooks, however, I've always found to be readable even if his early books are derivative tosh and his later books seem determined to contradict bits of his earlier books. I'd certainly rate him on a level with a good deal of the Star Wars EU (and actually better than at least 20% of it, particularly the bits of the EU that the EU itself has airbrushed from history.)

Never tried Paolini (?); never wanted to. The jacket blurb on his first book failed to make it sound worth my time.
What you say kinda goes to my point, though: it seems that the bar for getting published in fantasy is very low, which is why so much of it seems so bad.  I am sure that, in absolute numbers, there are more bad writers in general fiction than in fantasy, but in relative numbers, fantasy seems the genre with the greatest problem with "derivative tosh" and horrible writing. 

Which isn't to say that there isn't lots of great fantasy books out there.  It's just that its a minefield.

Bayraktar!

The Brain

Quote from: grumbler on November 02, 2013, 09:03:03 AM
Quote from: Neil on November 01, 2013, 10:21:45 PM
Quit faggoting up the threads, grumbler.

Oops. Sorry.  I didn't mean to steal your schtick.

Whoa. There's a mouth on this one.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Neil

I don't know who locked this or why.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Jacob

Quote from: Neil on November 04, 2013, 09:13:41 AM

Yeah, I was confused about that too.

grumbler

I suspect it was Sheilbh, because he thought it was drifting off topic.

Sheilbh, a recommendation that I would make now that I have remembered the book title is Roger Zelazny's Doorways in the Sand.  It is an amusing little story about a guy who wants to remain an undergraduate forever, before he encounters an extraterrestrial, and I think you will enjoy the non-linear writing style Zelazny invents for the story.

Bayraktar!

Sheilbh

Quote from: Jacob on November 04, 2013, 11:18:11 AM

Yeah, I was confused about that too.
I think I did accidentally with hands like shovels and an iPhone :blush:

Just started first Sarantium novel.
Let's bomb Russia!

PDH

I second Doorways in the Sand.  Fun book.
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

Maximus

Quote from: Sheilbh on November 04, 2013, 12:29:27 PM
I think I did accidentally with hands like shovels and an iPhone :blush:

Wait, how many hands do you have?

mongers

It was pre-emptively blocked in case I made a recommendation.  <_<
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Neil

I like Niven's Known Space.  Ringworld is great.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Gups on November 01, 2013, 11:17:20 AM
Quote from: Agelastus on November 01, 2013, 10:47:11 AM
Quote from: Gups on November 01, 2013, 04:05:19 AM
It's the same old story. Crap writing, a plot so implausible it is impossible to suspend disbelief and characters with as much depth as a paddling pool.

I'm not going to disagree with 1 and 3, but I'd be quite interested as to what particularly you found so implausible about the plot given the genre of the novel.

As I say I've got a third of the way through before chucking it. The idea that you attempt you start a civil war/uprising under the nose of a super-powerful, immortal ruler and you tell thousands of people that you are going to do it was my main objection.
IIRC he didn't expect to be successful, it was basically a martyrdom operation that was meant to inspire future rebellions. Can't exactlly send in your video to CNN in this kind of setting he had to spread the word.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point