News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Obituary: Peter Worthington

Started by Jacob, May 28, 2013, 02:19:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jacob

Quote from: Barrister on May 28, 2013, 03:32:11 PMI had only a passing familiarity with Peter Worthington, but when I saw this obit (last week) I found it a very fascinating read.

As did I :cheers:

11B4V

"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Ed Anger

Quote from: 11B4V on May 28, 2013, 02:30:53 PM
I'm sure he was a fine chap, but why should I give a shit about this dude?

QuotePassing through Montreal, he enlisted in the Black Watch as a private, and returned in 1919 as a captain with a Military Cross and Bar, and a Military Medal and Bar.

Simply badassery. I assume he was at Vimy Ridge.

Now doff your hat.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

mongers

Quote from: Ed Anger on May 28, 2013, 05:23:33 PM

QuotePassing through Montreal, he enlisted in the Black Watch as a private, and returned in 1919 as a captain with a Military Cross and Bar, and a Military Medal and Bar.

Now doff your hat.

That was his father, though he still had a fine life himself.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Ed Anger

Quote from: mongers on May 28, 2013, 05:38:47 PM
Quote from: Ed Anger on May 28, 2013, 05:23:33 PM

Now doff your hat.

What was his father, though he still have a fine life himself.

I only read the first third of articles.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

HVC

I used to enjoy reading worthington (shut up the sun is convenient to read on the subway :P ). He was a good writer and enjoyable to read.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Neil

See, Worthington was one of the few guys that I could stand on the Sun editorial page.  Too many guys are doing the Adler thing right now.  Sure, it's not as bad as listening to US talk radio, but it's not great either.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.