Main Menu

Controversial same-sex case

Started by 11B4V, May 25, 2013, 06:19:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Valmy

Quote from: merithyn on May 29, 2013, 01:29:45 PM
Quote from: Valmy on May 29, 2013, 11:51:38 AM
Quote from: derspiess on May 29, 2013, 11:49:13 AM
Does sexual assault include grabbing a girl's ass?

I think grabbing somebody is technically assault, so I think so.  But this is one of those gray areas.

:huh:

How is that a "gray area"?

Because generally when people talk about locking people up for life for being a perverse monster, they generally think of a more serious offense than a groping.  Not that groping shouldn't be a crime mind you.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

derspiess

I think grabbing somebody is technically assault, so I think so.  But this is one of those gray areas.

Because it could inflate the statistics and make them sound a lot worse than they are.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

11B4V

Quote from: derspiess on May 29, 2013, 01:56:48 PM

Because it could inflate the statistics and make them sound a lot worse than they are.

Depends on whether they liked it.
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

11B4V

"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

OttoVonBismarck

Quote from: Valmy on May 29, 2013, 09:52:18 AMMaybe but that would be pretty mind blowing to me and I spent years working with sexual abuse victims.

That would mean that reported rates of rape/sexual assault/abuse are being under-reported (not arrested or convicted or anything just reported) by at least a factor of 5. Am I to accept that instead of 1 in 6 women being raped or sexually assaulted during her lifetime the actual number is well over 70%?  Or that, for some reason, these women are reporting they are being raped or sexually assaulted but under-reporting the number of occurances?  That a significant percentage of American men are committing rape on at least an annual basis?

Well, the number Meri threw out in the 30%-35% range is what I've heard from survey based examinations of the issue, if the official percentage is 1 in 6 that shows a substantial underreporting.

Plus, a lot of the under reported rapes will by their nature be part of a long series. How many close male relatives that rape children do it once? I'd wager very few, most groom the kid and rape them for years and years and years, that's hundreds and hundreds of unreported rapes, but also barely moves the needle if you're talking "percentage of people raped" since it is one victim being raped continuously and not multiple victims being raped.

Our rape occurrence isn't particularly super high, it's higher than some Western countries but lower than others. Only about 35 countries have even remotely reliable rape statistics. Countries like Sudan and South Africa there aren't really any solid statistics like there are here but the incidence is presumed to be "very, very high." This gives an idea, yes of the reported countries the U.S. is in the top 10, but a lot of countries have very low incidence where we can pretty much assume that is false (basically any African hell hole country), and then some countries have no statistics at all, note Venezuela which regularly leads the world in murder rate isn't represented on those tables but most likely would land high on the chart.