And we're back!

Main Menu

Controversial same-sex case

Started by 11B4V, May 25, 2013, 06:19:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DGuller

Quote from: ulmont on May 28, 2013, 05:48:40 PM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on May 28, 2013, 05:31:21 PM
The recidivism rates for sexual predators speak for themselves.

Yes, they do.

QuoteAccording to the Office of Justice Programs (OJP) of the United States Department of Justice,[4] in New York State the recidivism rate for sex offenders has been shown to be lower than any other crime except murder.
Law and Order, and its SVU spin-off, have to be one of the most pernicious crime dramas ever.  I bet they're a pretty big factor behind the myth that impressionable scared people buy into that sex offenders are just out-of-control maniacs that will keep menacing the society until they're put down.

CountDeMoney

QuoteAccording to the Office of Justice Programs (OJP) of the United States Department of Justice,[4] in New York State the recidivism rate for sex offenders has been shown to be lower than any other crime except murder.

Thank God for Detective Benson.

11B4V

Quote from: DGuller on May 28, 2013, 05:58:41 PM

Yes, they do.

Law and Order, and its SVU spin-off, have to be one of the most pernicious crime dramas ever.  I bet they're a pretty big factor behind the myth that impressionable scared people buy into that sex offenders are just out-of-control maniacs that will keep menacing the society until they're put down.

Certainly.  :lol:

http://www.newser.com/story/168589/alaska-accused-killer-got-out-of-jail-same-day.html

Quote(Newser) – The suspect in a horrific double murder in Alaska walked out of jail less than 12 hours before he allegedly murdered an elderly couple and sexually assaulted their 2-year-old great-granddaughter, the Anchorage Daily News reports. Jerry Active, 24, had been serving time for a probation violation, the latest in a series of violations that caused him to be in prison for all but 18 days since his first release on probation in October 2011. He was released at 8:09am Saturday and arrested that night following an attack that Alaska police are calling the worst they've ever seen.

A registered sex offender, Active has been in and out of jail since 2007, a spokeswoman for Alaska's Department of Corrections says. He was arrested in 2009 for a crime with disturbing similarities to the one that has shocked Alaska: He broke into a home, attempted to sexually assault an 11-year-old girl, and then attacked three family members. "He messed up quickly and repeatedly" every time he got out of jail and was often re-arrested on the same day, the corrections spokeswoman says.
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

mongers

I don't see the attraction of lesbianism.  :bowler:
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

DGuller

Quote from: 11B4V on May 28, 2013, 06:08:12 PM
Quote from: DGuller on May 28, 2013, 05:58:41 PM

Yes, they do.

Certainly.  :lol:

http://www.newser.com/story/168589/alaska-accused-killer-got-out-of-jail-same-day.html

Quote(Newser) – The suspect in a horrific double murder in Alaska walked out of jail less than 12 hours before he allegedly murdered an elderly couple and sexually assaulted their 2-year-old great-granddaughter, the Anchorage Daily News reports. Jerry Active, 24, had been serving time for a probation violation, the latest in a series of violations that caused him to be in prison for all but 18 days since his first release on probation in October 2011. He was released at 8:09am Saturday and arrested that night following an attack that Alaska police are calling the worst they've ever seen.

A registered sex offender, Active has been in and out of jail since 2007, a spokeswoman for Alaska's Department of Corrections says. He was arrested in 2009 for a crime with disturbing similarities to the one that has shocked Alaska: He broke into a home, attempted to sexually assault an 11-year-old girl, and then attacked three family members. "He messed up quickly and repeatedly" every time he got out of jail and was often re-arrested on the same day, the corrections spokeswoman says.
Ooh, anecdotal evidence. :o  I stand corrected.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: DGuller on May 28, 2013, 06:57:11 PM

I have substantially more anecdotal evidence than you.

DGuller

Quote from: CountDeMoney on May 28, 2013, 07:03:05 PM

It's still anecdotal, though, and incredibly biased.  After all, cops don't typically deal with convicted sex offenders that don't re-offend.

OttoVonBismarck

Any serious study has to admit the low percentage of persons committing sex crimes who are ever caught or reported, which affects both sexual assault statistics as well as recidivism rate statistics. The concept that we can meaningfully know for any purpose the recidivism rate of sex offenders is laughable.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: DGuller on May 28, 2013, 07:20:23 PM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on May 28, 2013, 07:03:05 PM

It's still anecdotal, though, and incredibly biased.  After all, cops don't typically deal with convicted sex offenders that don't re-offend.

I bailed out a hell of a lot more than I arrested.  Over and over and over again.  Weenie wavers and fondlers count as sexual predators, you know. 

Tonitrus

The only problem with the death penalty is that we don't apply it neither often nor swiftly enough.

And while some murders can occur from moments of rage, rape almost always requires much more of a leap of effort and will in the criminal mind.  I'd definitely make it more of a capital crime.

But otherwise, I agree with OvB, a lot of non-violent crimes can do without incarceration (chain gangs, road crews, forest fire fighters).  Non-trafficking drug crimes should mostly go as well.

And graffiti artist should get the Goldfinger treatment.  :mad:

PDH

Quote from: Tonitrus on May 28, 2013, 08:55:57 PM

And graffiti artist should get the Goldfinger treatment.  :mad:

Have Oddjob slice their head off with a flying hat?
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

DGuller

Quote from: OttoVonBismarck on May 28, 2013, 07:32:54 PM
Any serious study has to admit the low percentage of persons committing sex crimes who are ever caught or reported, which affects both sexual assault statistics as well as recidivism rate statistics. The concept that we can meaningfully know for any purpose the recidivism rate of sex offenders is laughable.
That may be true, but in that case, the recidivism rate wouldn't speak for itself, would it?

OttoVonBismarck

Quote from: DGuller on May 28, 2013, 10:16:45 PMThat may be true, but in that case, the recidivism rate wouldn't speak for itself, would it?

No, and I wouldn't argue that it would (that was Cdm); but nor would I pull up statistical analysis of the recidivism rate since I think those statistics are inherently unreliable in this matter.

CountDeMoney

DGuller just joined the Axis of Pedo Defenders with Martinus.

Valmy

Quote from: OttoVonBismarck on May 28, 2013, 05:56:12 PM
Typically these people have strong compulsions to do what they do that are not easily trained away, although some techniques appear to work the fact that it's a constantly struggle for them to not go around raping people is strong evidence against releasing them, regardless of whatever minimally useful statistics might show. But back to the root of it, the malicious mindset to even commit a rape is so contrary to the public order that there is no compelling reason to not punish it with a life term.

Well if you are correct and only a tiny percentage of rapes in the US are ever reported then instead of around 100,000 rapes a year we have millions of rapes a year and a huge percentage of our population are serial criminals who need to locked away for life.  I find that hard to buy.

Now I am not saying serial rapists should not be locked up for life, I just think there needs to be something like evidence to suggest this is so.  I mean statistics show most reported rapes occur with drugs or alcohol involved where people's judgement is impaired.  Besides recall we are discussing a statutory rape case here, which is considered rape even though both parties are close in age and it is consensual.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."