News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Some local news in my area.

Started by 11B4V, May 23, 2013, 09:38:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

11B4V

I-5 bridge over Skagit River collapses, cars with people in water

QuoteWashington State Patrol confirms an I-5 bridge over the Skagit River has collapsed and at least two cars with people inside are in the water.

The incident has closed all northbound and southbound lanes.

KING 5 News crews are en route. More to follow.

"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

11B4V

Nothing like doing 60+ and a span missing.
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

crazy canuck

That is really going to mess up the traffic patterns.  I wonder how much this is going to cut into the number of Canadians heading south to shop during the time it takes to get this thing repaired.  Its going to make getting into Seattle difficult.

DontSayBanana

Reddit's blowing up over this: apparently, the bridge was considered "functionally obsolete," probably due to a low overhead clearance- turns out it was a tractor trailer with a tall load that took out part of the top of the bridge.
Experience bij!

fhdz

Quote from: DontSayBanana on May 24, 2013, 09:50:16 AM
Reddit's blowing up over this: apparently, the bridge was considered "functionally obsolete," probably due to a low overhead clearance- turns out it was a tractor trailer with a tall load that took out part of the top of the bridge.

"Structurally deficient", not "functionally obsolete".
and the horse you rode in on

11B4V

QuoteThe State Transportation Secretary said the bridge had a 47 sufficiency rating. The scale goes from 0 to 100, with 0 being the worst. A bridge with a rating of 50 or less qualifies for replacement, according to the American Society of Civil Engineers.

A crowd of about 2,000 people gathered at the bridge before police moved them back shortly before 9 p.m. By then I-5 traffic in both directions was backed up for more than 10 miles.

Friday morning traffic was being directed off southbound I-5 at State Route

http://www.kirotv.com/news/news/i-5-skagit-river-bridge-collapses-people-vehicles-/nX2d5/

DontSayBanana

Quote from: fahdiz on May 24, 2013, 11:22:19 AM

No, it was just above the line of "structurally deficient."

http://www.king5.com/news/local/Report-I-5-bridge-collapses-over-Skagit-River-cars-in-water-208758631.html

Feds ranked it at 57.4, not 40.

EDIT: Does this mean the state DOT had a different number?  And for an interstate, I'm assuming the Fed number is the one that carries the weight?
Experience bij!

Jacob

You're pretty close 11B4V... do you ever come up to Vancouver? I guess it's less likely with the bridge collapsing and all, but let me know if you ever come far enough North.

fhdz

Quote from: DontSayBanana on May 24, 2013, 11:50:49 AM

http://www.king5.com/news/local/Report-I-5-bridge-collapses-over-Skagit-River-cars-in-water-208758631.html

EDIT: Does this mean the state DOT had a different number?  And for an interstate, I'm assuming the Fed number is the one that carries the weight?

There's a Washington State list of "Structurally Deficient" bridges, and this one was on it.

I think you're correct that the Federal number carries the weight.

Looks like the trucker had a permit to cross the bridge, too.
and the horse you rode in on

katmai

Quote from: Jacob on May 24, 2013, 12:03:54 PM
You're pretty close 11B4V... do you ever come up to Vancouver? I guess it's less likely with the bridge collapsing and all, but let me know if you ever come far enough North.

Just as CC is afraid of "gun nut" americans, bravo is afraid of canucks.
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

11B4V

With work and all, time off is usually spent on home improvement shit.

But, will do.

11B4V

Quote from: katmai on May 24, 2013, 12:15:41 PM

Just as CC is afraid of "gun nut" americans, bravo is afraid of canucks.

:lol: I do need to get out more. So much to do around the kingdom, so little time.

11B4V

Quote from: DontSayBanana on May 24, 2013, 11:50:49 AM

Maybe the state does. I dont know.

Ed Anger

For some reason, I thought Eleven Bravo was a Virginian like Otto.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

11B4V

Apparently no deaths

QuoteIt was shortly after 7 p.m. when Dan Sligh and his wife Sally were near the Interstate 5 bridge over the Skagit River. The semi-truck ahead on the far right seemed too wide for the bridge span, and Sligh told his wife so.

"We started slowing down, and about that same time another semi-truck came up on the left side," he told KIRO 7. "It almost looked like he pinned that truck over to where he couldn't swerve."

"He hit the bridge about 3 or 4 feet wider than the actual bridge was, and there was a big puff of dust. I hit the brakes, (but with) the weight of the trailer and everything else we went right off the bridge as it collapsed into the Skagit River."

Sligh scrambled to himself and his wife out of their gray pickup, then yelled to another man who climbed to the top of his orange car. Sligh said his Navy training helped him stay calm.

Rescuers raced to the scene about 60 miles north of Seattle, just past Mount Vernon and about 2 miles south of Burlington. The Skagit River was 46 degrees and roughly 18 feet deep where the bridge collapsed.