Nigeria is slowly spiraling into civil war

Started by jimmy olsen, May 20, 2013, 11:02:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Queequeg

Christians have money, sea access and are better educated and organized. Boko Haram means Western Education is Forbidden. Doesn't matter how militant they are if they're fucking retarded.
Quote from: PDH on April 25, 2009, 05:58:55 PM
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

Viking

Quote from: Queequeg on May 21, 2013, 08:43:43 AM
Christians have money, sea access and are better educated and organized. Boko Haram means Western Education is Forbidden. Doesn't matter how militant they are if they're fucking retarded.

Try telling the Interahamwe that.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

derspiess

Quote from: jimmy olsen on May 21, 2013, 08:36:33 AM
The Christians aren't just gonna sit back and take it.

Hopefully not, but Christian populations tend to be the victims more often than not in similar sectarian conflicts around the third world.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Viking

Quote from: derspiess on May 21, 2013, 08:58:34 AM

Hopefully not, but Christian populations tend to be the victims more often than not in similar sectarian conflicts around the third world.

Christians tend to fetishize being killed for their faith rather than killing others for their faith, so yeah, they tend to be victims. In most places where muslims are not involved, like India, even when there is radical anti-christian agitation it usually stops short of murder as long as it remains non-political.

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Maximus

Doesn't sound much different than it was in the mid 90s when a guy I knew was there.

alfred russel

Quote from: garbon on May 20, 2013, 11:08:09 PM
So according to Alfred's rules, should we pull our ambassador?

No--it appears we have Marine guards there.

http://www.msg-history.com/gallery2/main.php?g2_itemId=2115&g2_page=2

You keep coming up with places and asking whether we should pull our ambassador, and a quick google on most of these places indicates there are marine guards there or we already evacuated most of our personnel.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

garbon

Quote from: alfred russel on May 21, 2013, 09:24:35 AM

You keep coming up with places and asking whether we should pull our ambassador, and a quick google on most of these places indicates there are marine guards there or we already evacuated most of our personnel.

How many marines are sufficient? I'm not sure why you'd use casual pictures of marines partying as proof that the respective ambassadors are safe.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Kleves

:yes: It would be shocking if they just turned the other cheek rather than retaliating violently.
My aim, then, was to whip the rebels, to humble their pride, to follow them to their inmost recesses, and make them fear and dread us. Fear is the beginning of wisdom.

11B4V

Quote from: garbon on May 21, 2013, 09:55:54 AM
Quote from: alfred russel on May 21, 2013, 09:24:35 AM

How many marines are sufficient? I'm not sure why you'd use casual pictures of marines partying as proof that the respective ambassadors are safe.

Well if you ask the Jarheads, one or two would do it.  :P
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Viking

Quote from: Kleves on May 21, 2013, 10:01:12 AM
:yes: It would be shocking if they just turned the other cheek rather than retaliating violently.

They don't, though they pretend to do so. Like on Sulawesi where church burnings by muslims have happened quite a lot the nigerian christians are burning mosques as well.

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Viking on May 21, 2013, 10:15:35 AM
They don't, though they pretend to do so. Like on Sulawesi where church burnings by muslims have happened quite a lot the nigerian christians are burning mosques as well.

Nigerian Christians are burning mosques in Indonesia?  :huh:

alfred russel

Quote from: garbon on May 21, 2013, 09:55:54 AM

I don't know.

What I do know is that when I comment that ambassadors shouldn't be in dangerous locations without security such as marines, you really don't make me look foolish by wondering whether I would want to pull ambassadors out of countries x, y, and z when either marines are there or we already pulled out.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Valmy

I bet Christian Okoye would not turn the other cheeck.  He would run right over Boko Haram.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Valmy on May 21, 2013, 10:22:58 AM
I bet Christian Okoye would not turn the other cheeck.  He would run right over Boko Haram.

What is Hakeem's position on all this?