Moore Oklahoma Obliterated by F5 Tornado, 24 dead, at least 9 of them kids

Started by jimmy olsen, May 20, 2013, 05:20:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jimmy olsen

I'm teaching the weather this week, so this tragically convient for me.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

CountDeMoney

jimmy olsen

School managed to evacuate the 4-6th grades, but the 1-3rd grades had to shelter in place and the town was too cheap for shelters.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

11B4V

Quote from: jimmy olsen on May 20, 2013, 08:51:58 PM
School managed to evacuate the 4-6th grades, but the 1-3rd grades had to shelter in place and the town was to cheap for shelters.

Not that they live in tornado alley.
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

mongers

School managed to evacuate the 4-6th grades, but the 1-3rd grades had to shelter in place and the town was to cheap for shelters.

:hmm:

Surely it must be possible to build schools with underground or a core/citadel safety refuge ? 
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Caliga

:wacko:

My elementary school had a weather shelter and I grew up in freaking Pennsylvania.

Ironically, about 20 years ago the school actually had an EF0 tornado pass right over/through it.
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

CountDeMoney

Shit, my old high school in Salisbury had a bona fide Civil Defense bomb shelter.  And the Eastern Shore is as flat and and the soil as porous as Oklahoma's.

mongers

Quote from: CountDeMoney on May 20, 2013, 09:23:01 PM
Shit, my old high school in Salisbury had a bona fide Civil Defense bomb shelter.  And the Eastern Shore is as flat and and the soil as porous as Oklahoma's.

Heh, I'm in Salisbury tomorrow.   :bowler:
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

CountDeMoney

derspiess

You went to high school in Salisbury?  And you call me a redneck??  :lol:
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

CountDeMoney

Quote from: derspiess on May 20, 2013, 09:40:48 PM

You went to high school in Salisbury?  And you call me a redneck??  :lol:

I was transplanted in, and transplanted out.  Stuck around long enough to grab a bucket of English's.

Admiral Yi

Were the schools youse guys went to WPA built?

derspiess

Quote from: CountDeMoney on May 20, 2013, 09:42:57 PM
I was transplanted in, and transplanted out.  Stuck around long enough to grab a bucket of English's.

:D  At UD for ROTC we frequently trained with Salisbury State cadets.  They were... special.  Made me feel like I was back in WV.  Not as special as the UM Eastern Shore guys, though.  They were in a class all by themselves  :wacko:
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Razgovory

My elementary school was.  It also doubled as a fallout shelter.  I think because of the lead paint.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

garbon

Quote from: 11B4V on May 20, 2013, 08:59:17 PM

Not that they live in tornado alley.

We got your fucking point the first time. You don't need to stick around continuing to make an ass of yourself.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.