News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The State of the US

Started by Jacob, May 15, 2013, 02:42:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

How do you feel about the US's social and political situation?

Downward slide: rent-seekers, hyper partisanship, and misinformation everywhere. The rot has set in and the decline of the American Empire is well underway.
19 (41.3%)
Yeah, there's a bunch of stupid shit going on but it will get turned around eventually. I hope.
9 (19.6%)
Yes all the bad things in options 1 and 2 are true, but that's how it always is. Business as usual.
14 (30.4%)
Beyond too many storms in too many teacups, things are going great. Sure, there's lots of whining, but things are great. Business as usual.
1 (2.2%)
Things are better than ever! Compared to the past, this is probably the best it's ever been and that's great! Let's hope the upwards trajectory continues!
0 (0%)
Uhm... I dunno?
3 (6.5%)

Total Members Voted: 45

Phillip V

11B4V

Quote from: Tamas on May 19, 2013, 02:40:19 AM
Quote from: 11B4V on May 15, 2013, 02:47:10 PM

the negroes are uppity and the gay are rampaging through the streets, ha?

Damn parades. :mad:
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

The Brain

Quote from: Phillip V on May 19, 2013, 02:42:03 AM

'A young man screamed antigay slurs at another man

The N-word? They are fairly anti-gay.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Capetan Mihali

[quote author=Phillip V link=topic=9838.msg584058#msg584058  New research is showing that the immigrant advantage wears off with the adoption of American behaviors — smoking, drinking, high-calorie diets and sedentary lifestyles.'
[/quote]

:hmm:  Didn't read the article, but feel pretty sure smoking is likely to be more common in the home country of most immigrants, at least for men.  But the Times has got to throw in smoking demonization for good measure...

"The internet's completely over. [...] The internet's like MTV. At one time MTV was hip and suddenly it became outdated. Anyway, all these computers and digital gadgets are no good. They just fill your head with numbers and that can't be good for you."
-- Prince, 2010. (R.I.P.)

Neil

Quote from: Valmy on May 17, 2013, 09:04:23 AM
Well I look forward to it starting to work again sometime soon then.

I am not sure how it is supposed to work when they can keep most everything secret and we just have to hope for somebody to mess up or leak something to trigger a political scandal though.  I mean doesn't it working sort of depend on the people being informed?  Doesn't it working sort of depend on the Bill of Rights not being tossed aside by things like the Patriot Act on what looks to be a permanent basis?  If the things that make it work, and that it depends on, are not functioning how exactly is it's design intact so it can work?  Now these things may trigger a reaction that get it back to its normal ugly looking place but surely that is not inevitable no?
Is the Patriot Act especially unjust, historially speaking?
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Ed Anger

They read Valmy's library check out list. It was like the night of broken glass.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

CountDeMoney

Patriot Act had a lot of silly stuff in it but also some valuable items that long needed to be addressed, like modernizing wire tap laws to new technology.

Razgovory

the gay are rampaging through the streets, ha?

'A young man screamed antigay slurs at another man before killing him on Friday night in New York City.'

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/05/19/nyregion/killing-in-greenwich-village-looks-like-hate-crime-police-say.html

Damn liberal media!  He was just trying to convey the conservative viewpoint.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Valmy

Quote from: Neil on May 19, 2013, 05:34:41 PM
Is the Patriot Act especially unjust, historially speaking?

Where did I say anything about justice?  I was talking about the things that traditionally have made our system work.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

PDH

Quote from: Valmy on May 20, 2013, 12:30:21 PM
I was talking about the things that traditionally have made our system work.

Cronyism and big money.
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

Valmy

Quote from: PDH on May 20, 2013, 12:38:30 PM
Cronyism and big money.

Well...I guess that makes every system work :P
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

DGuller

Quote from: Capetan Mihali on May 19, 2013, 10:31:31 AM
Didn't read the article, but feel pretty sure smoking is likely to be more common in the home country of most immigrants, at least for men.  But the Times has got to throw in smoking demonization for good measure...
Yeah, I was going WTF on that.  US has been doing much better on cutting down on smoking than most other countries, and definitely better than countries supplying us immigrants.

garbon

the gay are rampaging through the streets, ha?

'A young man screamed antigay slurs at another man before killing him on Friday night in New York City.'

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/05/19/nyregion/killing-in-greenwich-village-looks-like-hate-crime-police-say.html

Eek, that's pretty close to me though I didn't go out Friday.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.