News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The State of the US

Started by Jacob, May 15, 2013, 02:42:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

How do you feel about the US's social and political situation?

Downward slide: rent-seekers, hyper partisanship, and misinformation everywhere. The rot has set in and the decline of the American Empire is well underway.
19 (41.3%)
Yeah, there's a bunch of stupid shit going on but it will get turned around eventually. I hope.
9 (19.6%)
Yes all the bad things in options 1 and 2 are true, but that's how it always is. Business as usual.
14 (30.4%)
Beyond too many storms in too many teacups, things are going great. Sure, there's lots of whining, but things are great. Business as usual.
1 (2.2%)
Things are better than ever! Compared to the past, this is probably the best it's ever been and that's great! Let's hope the upwards trajectory continues!
0 (0%)
Uhm... I dunno?
3 (6.5%)

Total Members Voted: 45

lustindarkness

Situation now will pale in comparison when the Zombie Apocalypse hits. BTW, the poll needs a Jaron option.
Grand Duke of Lurkdom

Valmy

Quote from: Phillip V on May 15, 2013, 03:27:11 PM
Asians have overtaken Hispanics as the largest group of new immigrants. They are usually wealthier, more educated, and outperform whites. Asians will rebuild America and lead it into the 22nd century.

Well I did not think any of our problems was connected to the race of our immigrants...but hey if they do great for them.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

The Minsky Moment

When you strip away all the noise and fury, the political system works pretty well.
We got ourselves into an all-advised war, but eventually figured out how to muddle through it and get out without a complete disaster.
We over-reacted in a crack down on terrorism but the Supreme Court and the press both stepped in different ways to counteract the most serious abuses.
Of all the OECD countries, our policy response to the financial crisis and recession was probably the most rational.

The game of chicken on the debt limit is the one thing that gives me pause.  But it seems like the lesson has sunk in that it can't ever be allowed to go that far again.  Cross fingers.

The other concern is the failure to come up with a serious policy response to global warming but the US is far from unique in that regard.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Phillip V

Quote from: Valmy on May 15, 2013, 03:39:48 PM
Asians have overtaken Hispanics as the largest group of new immigrants. They are usually wealthier, more educated, and outperform whites. Asians will rebuild America and lead it into the 22nd century.

Well I did not think any of our problems was connected to the race of our immigrants...but hey if they do great for them.

Agree. Race has not caused any problems in American history.

Valmy

Quote from: Phillip V on May 15, 2013, 03:46:44 PM
Quote from: Valmy on May 15, 2013, 03:39:48 PM

Agree. Race has not caused any problems in American history.

I think our problems are over-stretch, dealing with the problems of changes in the 21st century, and our current political quagmire.  I do not think the immigrants have much to do with that at all.  And no race has not been the problem, racism has :contract:

But if you are right, hey great.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Valmy

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on May 15, 2013, 03:43:59 PM
When you strip away all the noise and fury, the political system works pretty well.

I guess I feel precisely the opposite.  The noise and fury are just things to distract us from the problems in the political system.  But ultimately the sound and fury mean nothing.

Maximus

Quote from: Valmy on May 15, 2013, 03:53:32 PM
Quote from: The Minsky Moment on May 15, 2013, 03:43:59 PM

I guess I feel precisely the opposite.  The noise and fury are just things to distract us from the problems in the political system.  But ultimately the sound and fury mean nothing.
Yea pretty much

#2 but replace "will" with "can". It's not assured-- one of our biggest threats is complacency-- but many systems are still fully operational and there is hope that what is broken can be fixed..

CountDeMoney

The Brain

A profound malaise has gripped America since at least the Bonus Army debacle.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

11B4V

Quote from: The Brain on May 15, 2013, 04:35:35 PM

QuoteAt 4:45 p.m., commanded by Gen. Douglas MacArthur, the 12th Infantry Regiment, Fort Howard, Maryland, and the 3rd Cavalry Regiment, supported by six battle tanks commanded by Maj. George S. Patton, formed in Pennsylvania Avenue while thousands of civil service employees left work to line the street and watch. The Bonus Marchers, believing the troops were marching in their honor, cheered the troops until Patton ordered[citation needed] the cavalry to charge them—an action which prompted the spectators to yell, "Shame! Shame!"
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Ed Anger

I hope we take everybody down with us.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

The Minsky Moment

The US political system is designed to work.
It is not designed to look pretty in the process.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

garbon

I vote 3 but would remove the last sentence of option 1. We haven't really had imperial-like holdings in quite sometime (thinking Philippines and Cuba) nor do I think we're rotting.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

grumbler

Quote from: 11B4V on May 15, 2013, 04:38:48 PM

QuoteAt 4:45 p.m., commanded by Gen. Douglas MacArthur, the 12th Infantry Regiment, Fort Howard, Maryland, and the 3rd Cavalry Regiment, supported by six battle tanks commanded by Maj. George S. Patton, formed in Pennsylvania Avenue while thousands of civil service employees left work to line the street and watch. The Bonus Marchers, believing the troops were marching in their honor, cheered the troops until Patton ordered[citation needed] the cavalry to charge them—an action which prompted the spectators to yell, "Shame! Shame!"

Good point; the decline in the US began when people started quoting those shitty Wikipedia articles on the internet like they were credible. :thumbsup:
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

garbon

Quote from: grumbler on May 15, 2013, 05:41:20 PM
Quote from: 11B4V on May 15, 2013, 04:38:48 PM

Good point; the decline in the US began when people started quoting those shitty Wikipedia articles on the internet like they were credible. :thumbsup:

He did keep the citation needed. :)
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.