News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

11 wounded in Vienna Sikh Temple shooting

Started by Syt, May 24, 2009, 01:44:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Syt

BBC: Vienna temple fight injures 11
QuoteAt least 11 people have been injured during a fight inside a Sikh temple in the Austrian capital Vienna.

Police said five men armed with knives and another with a pistol started a fight in the temple, the BBC's Bethany Bell reports.

The number of injured is expected to rise, a police spokeswoman said.

It is unclear what caused the fight, with reports of a feud between rival families and also of disputes with worshippers at other Sikh temples.

Preacher 'attacked'

All six of the armed men were severely injured in the incident and were taken to hospital where they were arrested, our correspondent says.

One report said the men were extremists who disagreed with the teachings of the preacher.

He was named as Shri Guru Ravidas Sabha by the Austrian Press Agency.

The six armed men apparently attacked him, prompting his supporters to rush to his aid.

Other people may have been less seriously hurt but ran from the building before emergency services arrived, authorities said.

The temple is situated in Vienna-Rudolfsheim, in the 15th district of the capital.

It is estimated that fewer than 3,000 Sikhs live in Austria.

:osama:
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Razgovory

I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

jimmy olsen

:( I hope none of the injuries turn out to be fatal.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Crazy_Ivan80

when you bring a knife you're placing yourself at an immediate disadvantage...

Norgy

Delirium

They Sikh 'em here, they Sikh 'em there.
Come writers and critics who prophesize with your pen, and keep your eyes wide the chance won't come again; but don't speak too soon for the wheel's still in spin, and there's no telling who that it's naming. For the loser now will be later to win, cause the times they are a-changin'. -- B Dylan

Syt

It appears that the guru who was target of the attack had come for some ceremony with an aide from India. A group opposing this guru supposedly threatened violence if he should truly show up, and - also supposedly - police had been warned about the situation.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Octavian

If you let someone handcuff you, and put a rope around your neck, don't act all surprised if they hang you!

- Eyal Yanilov.

Forget about winning and losing; forget about pride and pain. Let your opponent graze your skin and you smash into his flesh; let him smash into your flesh and you fracture his bones; let him fracture your bones and you take his life. Do not be concerned with escaping safely - lay your life before him.

- Bruce Lee

Syt

Riots have broken out in Punjab over this. The city of Jalandhar has imposed a curfew for the night. There's talk for a general strike in Punjab tomorrow, and - should the culprits not be arrested within two days - for all of India. Considering that all were injured and in treatment that shouldn't be a problem, really.
—Stephen Jay Gould

grumbler

Quote from: Norgy on May 24, 2009, 02:38:56 PM
Sikh'em!
Sikh and you shall find... unless they are playing Hide 'n' Sikh, in which case Sikh advice of counsel.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Octavian

Apparently local media has reported that witnesses prior to the attack saw the attackers drunk and carrying around several sikh's packs of beer.
If you let someone handcuff you, and put a rope around your neck, don't act all surprised if they hang you!

- Eyal Yanilov.

Forget about winning and losing; forget about pride and pain. Let your opponent graze your skin and you smash into his flesh; let him smash into your flesh and you fracture his bones; let him fracture your bones and you take his life. Do not be concerned with escaping safely - lay your life before him.

- Bruce Lee

Razgovory

Quote from: Syt on May 24, 2009, 03:09:38 PM
Riots have broken out in Punjab over this. The city of Jalandhar has imposed a curfew for the night. There's talk for a general strike in Punjab tomorrow, and - should the culprits not be arrested within two days - for all of India. Considering that all were injured and in treatment that shouldn't be a problem, really.

That's an interesting response.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Caliga

Quote from: Octavian on May 24, 2009, 03:46:38 PM
Apparently local media has reported that witnesses prior to the attack saw the attackers drunk and carrying around several sikh's packs of beer.
:lol:
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Syt

One of the the two gurus wounded in the attack has died during the night.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Solmyr