Main Menu

Tea Partiers harassed by IRS?

Started by Sheilbh, May 11, 2013, 07:37:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

11B4V

Quote from: merithyn on May 13, 2013, 10:05:59 AM
Quote from: 11B4V on May 13, 2013, 10:05:05 AM
Quote from: garbon on May 13, 2013, 10:01:58 AM
I have to say the Benghazi bit is rather dull. Let's say there was a coverup - is the contention that if the American people had known The Truth™ the election would have gone the other way?

I dont even think the GOP could have determined that with certainty before the election. Wasnt enough time.

Then why does it matter?

Incompetence
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

derspiess

I have to say the Benghazi bit is rather dull. Let's say there was a coverup - is the contention that if the American people had known The Truth™ the election would have gone the other way?

I dont even think the GOP could have determined that with certainty before the election. Wasnt enough time.

Then why does it matter?

:lol:
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

merithyn

Quote from: 11B4V on May 13, 2013, 10:08:23 AM

Incompetence

I would argue that it was a mistake. Nothing more, nothing less. A mistake that had zero impact on anything in the short- and long-term, even.

The problem is that there are those who view any mistake, however small and inconsequential, as tantamount to treason. It's exactly for that reason that I stopped paying any attention to the GOP shills. Now that there's something that might actually be an issue (the IRS thing), I kind of find myself not really giving a shit, in a kind of "serves them right" kind of way.

There's such a thing as picking your battles, and that seems to be completely lost on the GOP anymore.
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

frunk

Incompetence

Any incompetence was related to needing more security in Benghazi, not what the administration said after the event.  I don't understand why it was expected that they would know exactly who did what and with what motive within hours of the event.  I understand even less why people are so obsessed with fairly trivial and meaningless mistakes in attribution until more facts became clear.  It would have been better for the administration to say "we don't know at this time the motives of the attackers, but we will soon" but only in twenty four hour news land does it matter that the stated understanding of the administration for the motives of attackers changed.  If this occurred within days of the election and the delay in information would have potentially changed the result I could buy it, but it isn't even close to that.

The important facts are:
A US ambassador was killed because of a well executed attack that took advantage of less than ideal security.
The security situation resulted from a lack of appreciation of the potential danger in Libya by the administration (despite warnings and requests for more security).

All this nonsense about what was said when is a distraction from this more important issue, and most likely a colossal waste of everybody's time.

merithyn

Quote from: derspiess on May 13, 2013, 10:11:17 AM

:lol:

:mellow:

It's when you do shit like that that I stop paying any attention to your arguments.
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

garbon

Quote from: merithyn on May 13, 2013, 10:31:07 AM
I would argue that it was a mistake. Nothing more, nothing less. A mistake that had zero impact on anything in the short- and long-term, even.

Yeah that's what I don't get. If it was a mistake that still led to the same outcome, had the mistake not been made, then I don't really know why we should be all up in arms - here in May of 2013.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

garbon

Btw, when I saw the headline, this weekend, about McCain pushing for more investigation into the matter, I couldn't help but think it was time for that old dude to retire. :(
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Berkut

Quote from: garbon on May 13, 2013, 10:38:11 AM
Btw, when I saw the headline, this weekend, about McCain pushing for more investigation into the matter, I couldn't help but think it was time for that old dude to retire. :(

I love John, but cannot disagree. He has been nothing but a shill for the worst parts of the Republican Party since 2002. Which I do not understand, what is it that he has to gain at this point?
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Queequeg

Quote from: PDH on April 25, 2009, 05:58:55 PM
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

The Minsky Moment

Anyways . . .
I think it is justifiable to try to identify bogus 501(c)(3)s by text searching for political-like terms, including the very ones used by this Cinci office.  However, obviously it was a big no-no to *only* search for those terms favored by TP types as opposed to a broader set of political terms that cover the ideological spectrum.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

11B4V

Incompetence

So, a government mistake, whether under a GOP or Dem administration should not be looked into? You trust your government that much? Were not talk conspiracy shit, just oversight and accountability. 

Oh, this Benghazi incident will have effects in DoS procedures.
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Razgovory

Then why does it matter?

Incompetence

Why does it have to be incompetence?
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

11B4V

11B4V

More IRS BS

Quote(Newser) – The IRS scandal goes beyond the Tea Party: Documents show that over the past two years while evaluating applications for tax-exempt status, officials also zeroed in on groups that criticized the government or educated Americans about the Constitution or the Bill of Rights; as well as groups that were interested in taxes, government spending, or government debt; limiting or expanding the government; improving America; or "social economic reform."

The documents show how the Cincinnati office frequently redefined the types of groups that should be targeted for increased scrutiny, even after division chief Lois Lerner objected in June 2011, the Washington Post reports. In March 2012, then-IRS Commissioner Doug Shulman testified before Congress that the IRS was not singling out conservative groups, the Wall Street Journal reports. It wasn't until May 2012 that a neutral policy was adopted, with the IRS agreeing to target any group that was significantly concerned with political campaigns. The documents don't make it clear who the decision-maker was, Reuters reports.

sbr

Quote from: 11B4V on May 13, 2013, 10:47:46 AM

Incompetence

So, a government mistake, whether under a GOP or Dem administration should not be looked into? You trust your government that much? Were not talk conspiracy shit, just oversight and accountability. 

Oh, this Benghazi incident will have effects in DoS procedures.

What was the "mistake" in your opinion, not giving them more security, or mis-speaking about the root cause of the attack?