News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

2016 elections - because it's never too early

Started by merithyn, May 09, 2013, 07:37:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Barrister

Quote from: LaCroix on June 16, 2016, 01:52:40 PM
there's also a very possible chance that trump will never realize he's lost until he sees the results. he's already starting to do mental gymnastics about polling numbers. I could see him eventually reject them completely and assume that on election day, people will support him. like a reverse situation to when people hoped the polls were wrong and trump wasn't going to win the primary.

Oh, that's quite possible too.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Admiral Yi

It would be even weirder if he dropped out *after* the convention, when he is the official Republican candidate.

I don't see him doing it; he's an absolute attention whore and he's getting 24 hour media coverage.  Plus he has an existing narrative of "a rigged system, the Washington establishment undermining him, and a media out to get him" that he can repeat forever.

derspiess

"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

derspiess

Quote from: Admiral Yi on June 16, 2016, 01:49:26 PM
You guys better not jinx it.

Trump's campaign is fizzling out.  He's as good as done.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Admiral Yi

Valmy

Quote from: Admiral Yi on June 16, 2016, 02:09:27 PM
It would be even weirder if he dropped out *after* the convention, when he is the official Republican candidate.

I don't see him doing it; he's an absolute attention whore and he's getting 24 hour media coverage.  Plus he has an existing narrative of "a rigged system, the Washington establishment undermining him, and a media out to get him" that he can repeat forever.

Yeah if he loses he will be a martyr to the corrupt Liberal establishment blah blah.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

LaCroix

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/06/17/us/politics/donald-trump-fundraising-gop.html

QuoteDonald J. Trump's campaign schedule is being driven by his fund-raising needs, prompting him to appear in heavily Republican states like Georgia and Texas and diverting his attention from battlegrounds where Hillary Clinton is spending her time.

At this point in the presidential cycle in 2012, Mr. Romney was raising more than $1 million a day for himself and the party . There is no indication that Mr. Trump is approaching that pace.

Moreover, while Mr. Trump lent his campaign more than $43 million in the primaries, he has shown little inclination to self-finance his general election campaign in a large-scale way. Yet many Republican fund-raisers have openly questioned why they would donate their money to a candidate who has claimed a net worth of $10 billion.  :D

clinton -- $288 million raised
trump -- $60 million
(numbers are a month old)

FunkMonk

I wonder how the GOP will repair itself next year after Trump has completely ruined their brand.
Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

derspiess

They'll get a natural rebound from Hillary's terrible, corrupt presidency.

FunkMonk

Perhaps. It ought to be interesting for them if Hillary fails spectacularly. Maybe there's a recession or whatever.  Or if she actually does a decent job, who steps up among the Republicans?

I'm hoping they will finally get their shit together after they hit rock bottom this year. I kind of miss voting Republican.  :(
Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

derspiess

Maybe hitting rock bottom is what the party needs.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: FunkMonk on June 16, 2016, 07:19:29 PM
I wonder how the GOP will repair itself next year after Trump has completely ruined their brand.

Based on principled opposition to Trump and the argument that Trump primary voters are not part of the traditional Republican base.

Valmy

Quote from: derspiess on June 16, 2016, 07:42:44 PM
They'll get a natural rebound from Hillary's terrible, corrupt presidency.

Now now there have been many decent corrupt presidents. Besides how much damage could she actually do? She is pretty mainstream and Congress will stonewall her just like Obama.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Valmy

Quote from: derspiess on June 16, 2016, 08:11:45 PM
Maybe hitting rock bottom is what the party needs.

Well I have hoped that would turn around the Democrats a couple times. No luck yet. Maybe the Republicans will do it but they are still really powerful.

Phillip V

Quote from: LaCroix on June 16, 2016, 04:47:14 PM
http://www.nytimes.com/2016/06/17/us/politics/donald-trump-fundraising-gop.html

QuoteDonald J. Trump's campaign schedule is being driven by his fund-raising needs, prompting him to appear in heavily Republican states like Georgia and Texas and diverting his attention from battlegrounds where Hillary Clinton is spending her time.

At this point in the presidential cycle in 2012, Mr. Romney was raising more than $1 million a day for himself and the party . There is no indication that Mr. Trump is approaching that pace.

Moreover, while Mr. Trump lent his campaign more than $43 million in the primaries, he has shown little inclination to self-finance his general election campaign in a large-scale way. Yet many Republican fund-raisers have openly questioned why they would donate their money to a candidate who has claimed a net worth of $10 billion.  :D

clinton -- $288 million raised
trump -- $60 million
(numbers are a month old)

Obama destroyed Romney in fundraising.  IIRC, Obama had 40% more direct money than Romney.

I have high doubts that Trump is going to get people to give him the $1 billion he needs for the general election.