And we're back!

Main Menu

2016 elections - because it's never too early

Started by merithyn, May 09, 2013, 07:37:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jaron

Quote from: Martinus on June 15, 2016, 03:07:16 AM
Quote from: Jaron on June 15, 2016, 03:00:48 AM
Last time it was a disaster. We should not do this again.

Was it really, though? Soviet communism did collapse in the end but can we say it was not a threat in the 1950s in the West? If the US lost its resolve to fight it, who knows where we would have been today.

As with fighting communism, America is perhaps late to the party but Europe is weak, divided and dissolute because of its leftist elites' stance on islamism - once again, only America can save us in the end.

Yes, it was.

It's one thing to identify people who have pledged loyalty to terrorist groups in the US and expel them. As long as its done with thorough judicial review to make the chances of expelling an innocent person an absolute minimum I think its worth looking into.

The bigger threat with HUAC is that last time we imagined communists in the shadows and made all kinds of wild accusations against people and destroyed their careers and reputations. I'd be concerned that that could take this too far and go down that same path again. Imagine if this committee took a close look at people who expressed support for innocent Muslims facing backlash after an attack or if a politician didn't use whatever catchy buzzword was popular with the committee at that time (let's say radical Islam for example).

What benefit does having this kind of committee serve? People have a right to free speech and no one should have their voice taken away by this kind of committee. Loyalty to terrorist groups is one thing - "UnAmerican" activities is quite another.
Winner of THE grumbler point.

Martinus

On ne fait pas d'omelette sans casser des œufs.

Jaron

Quote from: Martinus on June 15, 2016, 03:21:39 AM
On ne fait pas d'omelette sans casser des œufs.

Civil liberties and free speech are not a few eggs.

I'm glad you are willing to risk innocent people since you wouldn't be affected at all. That is the ultimate cowardice to me - people bemoan the erosion of civil rights unless its not THEIR civil rights. Then the ends justify the means.

Martinus

49 innocent people in Orlando last weekend had their civil rights quite drastically eroded. To prevent this from happening again, I don't really care if some moon worshippers are mildly inconvenienced.

katmai

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

Martinus

Trump responds to Obama's rant:

QuoteTrump said, "I watched President Obama today and he was more angry at me than he was at the shooter, and many people said that. One of the folks on television said 'Boy has Trump gotten under his skin.' But he was more angry — and a lot of people have said this  — the level of anger that the kind of anger he should have for these shooter and these killers that shouldn't be here."

Jaron

Unfortunately for you, Americans do care.

We are the land of the free and home of the brave precisely because we stand for our ideals in the face of calamity and try to not repeat the mistakes of the past.

Obviously Orlando is a great tragedy and steps should be taken to prevent it. However, persecuting the innocent does not achieve that goal.

I don't think being stripped of citizenship, being possibly deported or detained is a mild inconvenience. That's pretty significant.

Jaron

Considering Trump thought the shooter was Afghan born and an immigrant, I don't think his opinions are particularly valuable here.

His Muslim ban wouldn't have stopped this shooting. The only thing that would have stopped it is:

1) The FBI detaining him.
2) The shooter being unable to purchase guns.
3) Someone who knew what he was planning turning him in.

However, since the vast majority of American Muslims are not committing violent acts and have integrated into our society quite well. The calls for reprisals against them are uncalled for.

Martinus

Clearly they are not as integrated as one may think, given that both his father and his wife seemed to be to a degree aware of his plans, yet notified noone.

Jaron

You're citing a very small sample size.

Look at the sniper shootings from the 2000s. A black Muslim (of the Nation of Islam variety) goes on a shooting spree before being captured. Yet it was not indicative of a larger trend. There have been no major violent actions by that community since.

So let me ask you - for that American Muslim who doesn't have radical ties. Just lives their life, goes to work, pays taxes, and isn't involved in all these horrible things. Why would we push to reduce their civil liberties over something they aren't responsible for and have no realistic means to combat?

Two shootings, while tragic, hardly qualifies as America being under siege. To be clear - I don't have a problem with higher scrutiny for foreign born Muslims/visas/watching who is entering the country carefully. But the data indicates that there is nothing to be gained in security from any kind of "crack down" on American Muslim communities.

Martinus

Trump makes a good point about Hillary:

QuoteHillary Clinton talks about women...she plays the woman card more than any human being I've ever seen in my life and frankly, I don't even think women like her from everything I see. And yet, she's taking 25 million dollars from certain countries...that treat women horrendously, that kill gays and you know what's going to happen...lets call for Hillary and Bill Clinton to give back the 25 plus million dollars to the countries we're talking about.

derspiess

Quote from: Jaron on June 15, 2016, 03:34:59 AM
Obviously Orlando is a great tragedy and steps should be taken to prevent it. However, persecuting the innocent does not achieve that goal.

Then why is your side going after law-abiding gun owners?
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Valmy

What are they doing to law abiding gun owners? :hmm:
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Berkut

Quote from: derspiess on June 15, 2016, 08:39:04 AM
Quote from: Jaron on June 15, 2016, 03:34:59 AM

Then why is your side going after law-abiding gun owners?

Who is suggesting any such thing?
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

derspiess

Quote from: Admiral Yi on June 14, 2016, 11:30:45 PM
Quote from: Jacob on June 14, 2016, 11:13:11 PM
So apparently Trump suspects that US soldiers stole money that were going to Iraqi reconstruction: https://youtu.be/DoAriULv1P8

Also I find this interview with senior campaign staff (two campaign managers and a communications director) from the Rubio, Cruz, and Bush primary campaigns fairly interesting.

"Who does Trump end up picking as a running mate? Dennis Rodman? The ShamWow guy?"

The ShamWow guy was born in Israel and is therefore ineligible.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall