And we're back!

Main Menu

2016 elections - because it's never too early

Started by merithyn, May 09, 2013, 07:37:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

11B4V

Quote from: Monoriu on June 07, 2016, 11:36:01 PM
Did Trump say that a judge is biased because he has Mexican heritage?  :blink:

I thought it is impossible for him to reach new lows.

No no he was misconstrued.  :lol:
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Jaron

Winner of THE grumbler point.

celedhring

Spanish judge associations do it all the time. Unless he personally undersigned it, I don't know why it's an issue.

EDIT: Was answering to Marti's post below.

Martinus

Quote from: Monoriu on June 07, 2016, 11:36:01 PM
Did Trump say that a judge is biased because he has Mexican heritage?  :blink:

I thought it is impossible for him to reach new lows.

He said the judge is biased because he belongs to an organisation of lawyers of Mexican heritage that made a statement like this last year:

QuoteTHE HISPANIC NATIONAL BAR ASSOCIATION REJECTS TRUMP'S RACIST ASSERTIONS

Washington, DC –­­­­ The Hispanic National Bar Association represents the interests of nearly 54 million Hispanics/Latinos in the United States, which is approximately 17% of the U.S. population. By his recent derogatory remarks about Mexican immigrants, Donald Trump's disrespect of such a large segment of the population of America is not only unbelievable, but outright wrong.  His comment that Mexico only sends rapists and criminals to the United States reveals a racist nature that cannot and will not go unnoticed by the Hispanic National Bar Association nor the Latino community. 

Those who seek our highest public office should attempt to engage all Americans, not divide us. His comments are clearly divisive and racist and do nothing to promote equality and justice for all.  Trump's statements reveal a bias that all Americans should reject and respond to accordingly.  We cannot stand silent and allow Trump to promote such racist and discriminatory behavior. This is the time for all Americans to take a stand against his insensitive, offensive and untrue statements.

The HNBA calls for a boycott of all of Trump business ventures, including golf courses, hotels, and restaurants.  We salute NBC/Universal, Univision and Macy's for ending their association with Trump, and we join them in standing up against bigotry and racist rhetoric. Other businesses and corporations should follow the lead of NBC/Universal, Univision and Macy's and take similar actions against Donald Trump's business interests.  We can and will make a difference.

Cynthia D. Mares
HNBA National President

http://us4.campaign-archive2.com/?u=df9a27c10b6d6ba38ba001440&id=f8a4a02241&e=cd8fc1ccd9%0A

I am a bit surprised it is not considered inappropriate for an organisation composed of judges and attorneys (even if the organisation is private) to issue political statements like this. That does create substantial concerns about lack of bias.

Martinus

Quote from: celedhring on June 08, 2016, 01:04:02 AM
Spanish judge associations do it all the time. Unless he personally undersigned it, I don't know why it's an issue.

Really? I mean I can see judge associations making statements about some law they find unconstitutional or harmful - but to attack a political candidate for "racist remarks" and call for a boycott of his business ventures? Do they actually make statements like this "all the time"?

celedhring

Yeah, they single out political figures for criticism often and not necessarily mince their words. We have judge associations from all the political spectrum, and at the end, they still have freedom of speech too. Only the military is barred from making political statements of any kind over here.

There's recusal laws in place if you can really show manifest enmity by the part of the judge, so there's that (and very harsh malfeasance punishments, too). I assume the same happens in America and Trump would have used it, if there was something more to it than the judge's ancestry or what his bar association says.

Martinus

Maybe it's a cultural issue, then. I understand Trump is a grandson of a German immigrant and Poland also follows a German tradition of jurisprudence - and something like this would be unthinkable. Maybe it's different for Spanish or Mexican judges. :P

Zanza

The German judges association usually only comments on stuff like the general state of the judiciary ("We need more judges and more money!"), the lack of respect for the judiciary in the general population ("People don't understand us") or rarely on particular topics like the arbitration rules in the recent free trade agreements ("Arbitration should be in state courts. There should not be special law for international investors that differs from national investors."). 

celedhring

Admiral Yi

I've never heard Trump mention the Hispanic National Bar Association.

Jaron

Quote from: Martinus on June 08, 2016, 01:21:26 AM
Maybe it's a cultural issue, then. I understand Trump is a grandson of a German immigrant and Poland also follows a German tradition of jurisprudence - and something like this would be unthinkable. Maybe it's different for Spanish or Mexican judges. :P

He's an American judge, not Mexican.

Jaron

Bernie vows to fight on! On to DC and Philadelphia!

He knows he can't win at this point, I believe, but I think he wants some leverage to get whatever it is he wants instead.

Martinus

Quote from: Admiral Yi on June 08, 2016, 01:52:31 AM
I've never heard Trump mention the Hispanic National Bar Association.

Have you seen the interview when he referred to the judge or just know about it from second hand media reports?

Jaron

Trump wasn't the one who mentioned the bar association. It was picked up on by some of his followers who were desperate to defend his latest mistake.

Martinus

It would be great to see what Trump actually said. It's interesting that I could not find the full quote anywhere. The WSJ that seems to have first reported on it says it was in an "interview" without even crediting the interviewer or the news organisation he or she works for!