News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

2016 elections - because it's never too early

Started by merithyn, May 09, 2013, 07:37:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Valmy

Well she should win DC by about 50 points next week at least  :P

So weird to be following an election I voted in four months ago.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Martinus

Quote from: garbon on June 07, 2016, 08:02:33 AM
Quote from: Valmy on June 07, 2016, 07:59:48 AM
Well today is the day. Last big primary day.

Well it is the last day but unless he is decisively put down, sounds like Bernie is still going to be annoying.

Ok, so you are now advocating murder of opposing candidates? Great.

derspiess

Quote from: Martinus on June 07, 2016, 04:14:12 AM
For full disclosure, Clinton later (after apparently being called out on it) twitted: "72 years after #DDay, let's not just eulogize the brave men who gave their lives. Let's honor them by defending the values they fought for."

Bernie did not make a single tweet about the DDay anniversary.

"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Martinus

Can super-delegates change their vote between now and the DNC? I understand that no matter the outcome of today's primaries neither Bernie nor Hillary will have enough non-super-delegates alone to clinch the nomination - so, if super-delegates are not "bound", technically it means it's a contested convention, right?

Martinus

Quote from: derspiess on June 07, 2016, 09:03:21 AM
For full disclosure, Clinton later (after apparently being called out on it) twitted: "72 years after #DDay, let's not just eulogize the brave men who gave their lives. Let's honor them by defending the values they fought for."

:lol: :thumbsup:

Valmy

Well they do tend to get raped, killed, sold into slavery, starved, and bombed when the war is close to home.  Just losing your male buddies/relatives/partners means you got off comparatively lightly.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Berkut

You have to have a pretty sever case of misogyny to draw that conclusion from her words.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Martinus

Wow, I am not sure if Valmy is trolling or not.  :huh:

Martinus

Quote from: Berkut on June 07, 2016, 09:09:55 AM

You have to have a pretty sever case of misogyny to draw that conclusion from her words.

I disagree. Saying that women have it worse because women lose their men (whereas men just lose their lives) is a pretty severe case of misandry.

Valmy

Quote from: Martinus on June 07, 2016, 09:10:31 AM

Stating something obviously true is trolling? Wow.

Valmy

Quote from: Martinus on June 07, 2016, 09:12:04 AM
I disagree. Saying that women have it worse because women lose their men (whereas men just lose their lives) is a pretty severe case of misandry.

How is it misandry to suggest that losing the men you love is worse than actually dying yourself?

Martinus

Quote from: Valmy on June 07, 2016, 09:12:41 AM
Quote from: Martinus on June 07, 2016, 09:10:31 AM

Stating something obviously true is trolling? Wow.

No, by so obviously mischaracterising the point the picture is trying to make.

The point, just to be clear, not being that "men lose their buddies" but that "men lose their lives".

FunkMonk

https://youtu.be/9QUYQUd0Qh8

Even little children have more maturity than Donald J Trump  :lol:
Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

Martinus

Quote from: Valmy on June 07, 2016, 09:13:24 AM

How is it misandry to suggest that losing the men you love is worse than actually dying yourself?

Because it implies that woman's emotional or material well being is valued more highly than a man's life. The horror of the man's life being lost is reduced to the impact on the woman's life.  :huh:

Next you are going to say that being raped is worse than being murdered or something equally ridiculous.

Berkut

Quote from: Berkut on June 07, 2016, 09:09:55 AM

Except she didn't say women "had it worse than men". What she said is completely uncontroversial when taken in context:

"Women have always been the primary victims of war. Women lose their husbands, their fathers, their sons in combat. Women often have to flee from the only homes they have ever known. Women are often the refugees from conflict and sometimes, more frequently in today's warfare, victims. Women are often left with the responsibility, alone, of raising the children. "

She is not saying women have it worse than men (although it is interesting that you operate from the assumption that only men lose their lives in war, and that loss of life is the only way in which people can be victims, which is of course just completely untrue), she is saying that when there is war, women are always primary victims. Not the only victims, but rather that when some man is killed, he is not the only victim, others are *directly* impacted.

You have to assume such an incredible level of stupid to interpret her words to mean that some guy getting killed is NOT a victim. What is the point? Other than to appeal to your own sense of manufactured outrage?

Oh wait, now I see the point.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned