News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

2016 elections - because it's never too early

Started by merithyn, May 09, 2013, 07:37:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zanza

Aren't they trolls, not orcs and kobolds?

Berkut

"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Capetan Mihali

"The internet's completely over. [...] The internet's like MTV. At one time MTV was hip and suddenly it became outdated. Anyway, all these computers and digital gadgets are no good. They just fill your head with numbers and that can't be good for you."
-- Prince, 2010. (R.I.P.)

Zoupa

Quote from: CountDeMoney on May 20, 2016, 01:33:16 AM
QuoteThe Fix
Hillary Clinton sent a very clear message to Bernie Sanders today: Enough is enough
By Chris Cillizza May 19 at 4:48 PM
Washington Post

https://youtu.be/DXg6UB9Qk0o

CountDeMoney

Zoupa's antisemitism is exceeded only by his misogyny.  Typical Francophone.  :frog: :frog: :frog:

Martinus

So, what's people's take here on "Clinton Cash"?

AnchorClanker

This guy's take is really, really simple - the DNC/DLC/New Democrats are swine only surpassed by the RNC.

They are trying to hide behind some vague 'progressive' figleaf that is both disingenuous and rather hollow to all but the true-blue Clintonistas, but it doesn't cut the mustard anyone who actually gives a shit about institutionalized political corruption of the danger of vast, well-heeled political machines beholden to entities which ARE NOT ABLE TO VOTE SO THEY BUY ALL THE GODDAMN POLITICIANS.
The final wisdom of life requires not the annulment of incongruity but the achievement of serenity within and above it.  - Reinhold Niebuhr

garbon

Did you fall on your head while you were gone? :unsure:
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

jimmy olsen

It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

CountDeMoney

Quote from: garbon on May 21, 2016, 03:53:32 AM
Did you fall on your head while you were gone? :unsure:

He's been ball-deep in Islamic terrorism for too long.  Victory in defeat.  Smug, douchebag self-entitled hipster moral victory in senseless, stupid, meaningless defeat.  You know, like 2000.  Yeah, I guess supporting Nader delivered the White House to the worst president of the post-war era BUT AT LEAST I DIDN'T COMPROMISE MY VALUES, MAAAAAN.

Bernie is beginning to wander into Perot crazy-talk territory anyway.  I'm not hearing much about the big banks, or corporate greed, or the status quo, or the middle class from him anymore;  now it's all about the corrupt Democratic party, the "rigged" elections, blah blah blah.  Bern Your Enthusiasm at work.

DGuller

Quote from: AnchorClanker on May 21, 2016, 02:43:48 AM
This guy's take is really, really simple - the DNC/DLC/New Democrats are swine only surpassed by the RNC.

They are trying to hide behind some vague 'progressive' figleaf that is both disingenuous and rather hollow to all but the true-blue Clintonistas, but it doesn't cut the mustard anyone who actually gives a shit about institutionalized political corruption of the danger of vast, well-heeled political machines beholden to entities which ARE NOT ABLE TO VOTE SO THEY BUY ALL THE GODDAMN POLITICIANS.
Ank, can you answer one question:  how much did Nader voters improve the situation in 2000 for those who want real political change?

Berkut

Quote from: DGuller on May 21, 2016, 09:07:31 AM
Quote from: AnchorClanker on May 21, 2016, 02:43:48 AM

Ank, can you answer one question:  how much did Nader voters improve the situation in 2000 for those who want real political change?

I think it is trivially easy to argue that a vote for Nader helped that cause - at least, it is trivially easy to point out that neither party has effected ANY real political change since then, hence voting for the status quo is a zero effect at best.

I don't want Bernie to beat Clinton because I am convinced that Trump is a real danger, and I think Clinton has the best chance for beating him. But I recognize that Clinton winning is just another delay, at best, in the effort to get someone into power who actually wants to change the system itself. It is incredibly unfortunate that the Republicans have managed to find someone so repugnant that accepting another eight years of corporate sponsorship of the Presidency is preferable to that ogre.

But I know full well that Clinton is as much, if not more, in the pocket of corporate America than any of the Republican candidates. There is no evidence, none, that suggests that the Democratic Party has any intrinsic desire to reform the system greater than the Republican. They have had the Presidency for eight years under Clinton, and eight years under Obama, and the problem has gotten worse during that time, not better, and neither of those Presidents did anything material to even try to change it.

Indeed, Obama did some thing that were directly counter to the effort to effect political change, and it took a outpouring of pissed off voters to get him to NOT put the FCC in the hands of the telecom industry.

The Dems are happy to use the fig lead of reform to sucker in some voters, but their record is no better than the Republicans in actual reform. I guess if you think a fig leaf is better than just showing your junk to the world, you can call that an improvement.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

DGuller

Really?  Okay, let's assume for a moment that neither party tries to reform.  Wouldn't you still prefer parties that don't actively roll back reforms?  Or will you still claim that both parties are equally bad at this?

Legbiter

QuoteThe Trump Bump has arrived.

After wrapping up an acutely fractious primary in which Donald Trump and his opponents lobbed scores of personal, playground insults at one another, the presumptive GOP nominee has quickly unified the vast majority of Republican voters around one goal: defeating Hillary Clinton, his prospective Democratic opponent.

Entering the general election trailing by about 7 points, Trump has rapidly erased most of that gap: As of Friday, Clinton's advantage was down to roughly 2 points, according to the HuffPost Pollster average. And some polls, like a Fox News survey out on Wednesday, show Trump inching ahead of Clinton.
The main reason for Trump's surge over the past few weeks? He is earning increasingly larger shares of the Republican vote — even as some prominent GOP leaders, like House Speaker Paul Ryan, haven't yet committed to supporting their party's apparent nominee. But rank-and-file Republican voters are lining up behind Trump in large numbers, closing the gap with Clinton's support among Democrats, which had been higher during earlier stages of the campaign.
"Republican voters are consolidating around Trump, and it's been beneficial to him not to have other Republican opponents constantly attacking him," said Democratic pollster Geoff Garin, who advising the pro-Clinton super PAC Priorities USA.

The data point to a close race in the fall, with about a dozen or so states likely to be decisive in the Electoral College — all consistent with recent history.
In the Fox News national poll, Trump led Clinton among all registered voters, 45 percent to 42 percent – a reversal from last month, when Clinton had a 7-point lead, 48 percent to 41 percent. In the new Fox poll, Clinton wins 83 percent of self-identified Democrats, while Trump takes 82 percent of Republicans. Trump's lead is built on a 16-point edge among independents, 46 percent to 30 percent.

http://www.politico.com/story/2016/05/donald-trump-poll-surge-223419#ixzz49G0PJETM

Posted using 100% recycled electrons.

Legbiter

Quote from: Zoupa on May 20, 2016, 09:09:15 PM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on May 20, 2016, 01:33:16 AM
QuoteThe Fix
Hillary Clinton sent a very clear message to Bernie Sanders today: Enough is enough
By Chris Cillizza May 19 at 4:48 PM
Washington Post

https://youtu.be/DXg6UB9Qk0o

Yeah, she primaried Obama all the way to the convention in 2008.  :hmm:
Posted using 100% recycled electrons.