And we're back!

Main Menu

2016 elections - because it's never too early

Started by merithyn, May 09, 2013, 07:37:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

derspiess

Quote from: Legbiter on February 25, 2016, 10:38:29 AM
Quote from: derspiess on February 24, 2016, 11:39:14 PM
I listened to about 10 minutes of Glenn Beck late this morning, and boy is he all worked up over Trump.  Comparing this year to 1933, comparing Trump's positions to Mein Kampf, and saying we're all condemned if we don't speak out against this evil.  Almost sounded like he was crying at one point.

He should stick to scamming old people.

He missed the boat on Robot Insurance (Sam Waterston cashed in on that), but he's making up for it.  He's also making a money off of scared preppers with his "food insurance" ads.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

PJL

Quote from: Razgovory on February 24, 2016, 07:16:10 PM
To every Bernie fan, "First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then you win.", is not a coherent strategy in either politics or government.

That sounds like what Trump is doing, so why not for Sanders.

Legbiter

Quote from: PJL on February 25, 2016, 02:49:02 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on February 24, 2016, 07:16:10 PM
To every Bernie fan, "First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then you win.", is not a coherent strategy in either politics or government.

That sounds like what Trump is doing, so why not for Sanders.

That's true, Trump could run on Sander's exact platform for the Democrats and he'd be leading in the polls as well.  :lol:
Posted using 100% recycled electrons.

jimmy olsen

Quote from: derspiess on February 25, 2016, 01:54:41 PM
Quote from: Legbiter on February 25, 2016, 10:38:29 AM
Quote from: derspiess on February 24, 2016, 11:39:14 PM
I listened to about 10 minutes of Glenn Beck late this morning, and boy is he all worked up over Trump.  Comparing this year to 1933, comparing Trump's positions to Mein Kampf, and saying we're all condemned if we don't speak out against this evil.  Almost sounded like he was crying at one point.

He should stick to scamming old people.

He missed the boat on Robot Insurance (Sam Waterston cashed in on that), but he's making up for it.  He's also making a money off of scared preppers with his "food insurance" ads.

Robot insurance?  :unsure:
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Grey Fox

http://www.rollingstone.com/politics/news/how-america-made-donald-trump-unstoppable-20160224?

This article makes me want to support Trump. Sure, he's a racist asshole but atleast he's claims he is going to burn it all.

Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

jimmy olsen

If true, words fail to describe how stupid and cowardly such a strategy is.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/plum-line/wp/2016/02/25/rubio-just-launched-a-searing-attack-on-trump-heres-why-it-may-fail/
QuoteRUBIO MAY LAY OFF TRUMP TONIGHT: Alex Isenstadt reports on the Rubio camp's preparations for the debate:

The Florida senator has concluded that going after Trump would accomplish little, given that the businessman's supporters are deeply committed and unlikely to swing Rubio's way. Inciting a confrontation with Trump onstage would create drama but wouldn't help the senator gain voters, something he badly needs as he looks for his first primary win. Instead, Rubio's team has decided his best bet is to focus fire on Cruz....The only way to dislodge Trump, Rubio's advisers say, is to turn it into a two-man race – meaning that they first need to get Cruz out of the way.

In other words, Rubio is committed to his long game strategy here. But why do we assume Cruz's supporters would go largely to Rubio?
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
1 Karma Chameleon point

jimmy olsen

The American Conservative has come out with a report card on the candidates.  :lol:

A 2016 Foreign Policy Report Card

Which candidates are most likely to be guided by realism and restraint?

1 Karma Chameleon point

Monoriu

Quote from: Grey Fox on February 25, 2016, 06:57:08 PM
http://www.rollingstone.com/politics/news/how-america-made-donald-trump-unstoppable-20160224?

This article makes me want to support Trump. Sure, he's a racist asshole but atleast he's claims he is going to burn it all.

I read the entire article.  I think I have a slightly better idea of why so many people support Trump now.  I don't believe the masses are stupid. 

Berkut

QuoteNo one should be surprised that he's tearing through the Republican primaries, because everything he's saying about his GOP opponents is true. They really are all stooges on the take, unable to stand up to Trump because they're not even people, but are, like Jeb and Rubio, just robo-babbling representatives of unseen donors.

Bingo.

Trump and Sanders are about the very thing that the partisans hate and are so desperate to deny - that their candidates are just shills.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

derspiess

"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

jimmy olsen

:(
http://theweek.com/articles/608110/think-nsa-scary-now-wait-till-donald-trump-controls

QuoteThink the NSA is scary now? Wait till Donald Trump controls it.

Ryan Cooper

February 25, 2016

Donald Trump is pretty obviously an incipient tinpot dictator. He's got the demagogue's knack for both playing off and encouraging the worst instincts of his supporters, including violent reprisals against scapegoats. He's got wide support among authoritarians. He's even got the taste for garish prestige construction projects.

What makes a Trump presidency genuinely terrifying, however, is the prospect of him at the helm of the American security apparatus. That could turn a merely bad presidency into a huge advance of authoritarianism, and perhaps the beginning of the end of constitutional democracy in the United States.

That sounds extreme, and it's true that in a country with reasonably strong democratic institutions, a strong ethic of professionalism in the federal bureaucracy, and universal respect for the rule of law, even the most cunning authoritarian president could do only so much.

But the United States is not that country. While much of the government basically functions pretty well, the same cannot be said of the most important bulwarks against a Trump takeover: the security apparatus. This is, roughly speaking, the mass of agencies that make up the Intelligence Community (including the CIA, NSA, NRO, and so forth), plus the parts of the military that aren't dedicated to overseas actions.

It's been almost two years since the CIA, as Sen. Dianne Feinstein (D-Calif.) detailed in an explosive speech on the Senate floor, illegally spied on the Senate intelligence oversight committee in a clear attempt to sandbag the committee's investigation into the agency's (also extremely illegal) torture program. Though the executive summary of that report, consisting of about one-tenth of the 6,000 pages, was released to some fanfare in December 2014, the whole episode has been a smashing victory for the CIA.

After a brief lull of unfavorable media coverage, torture largely faded from view. Nobody was prosecuted or indicted, even those who admitted on national television to destruction of evidence. President Obama himself delivered a condescending lecture that we should not be too "sanctimonious" about the fact that "we tortured some folks." And after the 2014 lame duck session, Republicans took control of the Senate partly on the strength of defeating one of two strong critics of torture, Mark Udall (D-Colo.), and promptly installed a CIA lickspittle as chairman of the intelligence committee.

Elsewhere, it's been almost three years since Edward Snowden's revelation of the NSA dragnet surveillance program, an obvious violation of the Fourth Amendment that was repeatedly ruled illegal in federal court. Though Congress did pass an NSA reform bill last year, it was weak tea at best. The bill "does absolutely nothing to restrain the vast majority of the intrusive surveillance revealed by Snowden," as Dan Froomkin writes. Most of the dragnet is still there.

Though both these episodes were yet more crushing blows to the rule of law, at least the CIA does not currently torture people. However: Trump (and Marco Rubio) promise to bring back torture. It "works," Trump says. He's flat wrong when it comes to interrogation, but torture is actually quite good for intimidation and extraction of false confessions.

So, we've got one agency with a proven history of brutal thuggery and spying on its congressional overseers, another with the capability to spy on virtually all electronic communication, and God only knows what else in the rest of the secret government. It's highly unlikely that these organizations would mount any sort of serious revolt should Trump carry out his public insinuations that he would intimidate rivals using their power. Chances are somewhat better they would resist an actual coup d'etat, but it's a thin reed indeed to hang one's hopes on.

Democrats bear a significant share of the blame for this situation. President George W. Bush, Vice President Cheney, and their pet lawyers like David Addington and John Yoo were largely responsible for mutating the security apparatus into its current dangerous form, but Democrats had a golden opportunity to fix that in 2009-10, with huge congressional majorities and a strong mandate to reject Bush's policies. There were some halting steps in that direction, but in part because many key Democrats are knee-jerk defenders of the security apparatus (including Feinstein, ironically), it went nowhere.

Now, in all likelihood, President Trump probably wouldn't actually try to overthrow the Constitution and install himself as dictator-for-life. But I view it as a virtual certainty that he would go after critics and political rivals, and a strong possibility that he would attempt Putin- or Erdogan-style moves to keep himself in power for as long as possible. With constitutional governance visibly wobbly, and a 4-4 tie between liberals and conservatives at the Supreme Court likely to continue indefinitely, it's hard to see what would stop him.

For that, we have the chowderhead elites of both parties to thank.

1 Karma Chameleon point

lustindarkness

Grand Duke of Lurkdom

derspiess

CountDeMoney

Quote from: jimmy olsen on February 25, 2016, 07:30:19 PM
The American Conservative has come out with a report card on the candidates.  :lol:

A 2016 Foreign Policy Report Card

Which candidates are most likely to be guided by realism and restraint?

Those are some hilarious "key issues":  4 houses in the same shitty block in the same shitty neighborhood, the Right's favorite Central Casting stand-in for the ultimate bad guy out to utterly destroy America, and the Russians.

DGuller

Anything interesting happening in the debate?