News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

2016 elections - because it's never too early

Started by merithyn, May 09, 2013, 07:37:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

crazy canuck

Quote from: Berkut on March 05, 2015, 02:25:52 PM
I don't know if it is really a politically relevant issue, but it is kind of mind-boggling that our Secretary of State was using a personal email account to do state business. You don't have to be a geek to know that that is a pretty terrible idea.

I don't know, I encounter people in that age group across various sectors who do the same thing.  They don't seem to realize the problems they are creating.

Razgovory

Quote from: derspiess on March 05, 2015, 12:43:31 PM
She used private email for gubmint business in this administration's New Era of Governmnental Transparency.

Clearly that's were all the incriminating documents are!
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

CountDeMoney

The same reason all Muckity MucksTM everywhere, government and private sector alike, do it:  to get around the annoying but necessary security measures all the little people have to deal with. 

Because changing your password every 90 days is annoying.  Because using two-step authentication with an authenticator is annoying.  Because having to take the computer-based training that every Fed using Fed IT assets has to take, even if in the Senior Executive Service, is annoying.  Because my email on my device doesn't require me to type in my User Name and Password, which I already have saved in these little boxes and already has my contacts loaded, and do you have any idea how many people I know now?   Because having to use your ID badge with your laptop is annoying.  The rules don't apply to me.  I'm too busy.  I'm too important.

Not really mind-boggling at all.  Just don't see why everybody's acting as if she's the first and only.  I know of a certain general and former CIA director that's facing jail time this week for more egregious email violations, all for the sake of pussy.  Funny how that story's been nowhere as big as this one.

Berkut

Quote from: Jacob on March 05, 2015, 02:36:01 PM
Quote from: Berkut on March 05, 2015, 02:25:52 PM
I don't know if it is really a politically relevant issue, but it is kind of mind-boggling that our Secretary of State was using a personal email account to do state business. You don't have to be a geek to know that that is a pretty terrible idea.

You probably have to be at least a semi-frequent user of technology that isn't hand-curated for you, and I expect most people of Hillary Clinton's age and social standing are not.

Yeah, bullshit.

She isn't some backwoods grandma who has never been exposed to technology, nor is she older than the internet such that it is reasonable to expect she wouldn't be passingly familiar with it. She isn't Strom Thurmond.

If she is so clueless about technology that she doesn't understand even the basics of security around communication, then surely someone could have (and should have) told her.

I expect most people of Hillary's age and social standing and work experience to be able to use and understand the internet and email. I know plenty of people in my job who are that age and can understand email. Much less can understand the basic concepts behind communications security, much LESS be the freaking secretary of state and know and understand the importance of communication security!
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Berkut

Quote from: CountDeMoney on March 05, 2015, 02:48:27 PM
The same reason all Muckity MucksTM everywhere, government and private sector alike, do it:  to get around the annoying but necessary security measures all the little people have to deal with. 

Because changing your password every 90 days is annoying.  Because using two-step authentication with an authenticator is annoying.  Because having to take the computer-based training that every Fed using Fed IT assets has to take, even if in the Senior Executive Service, is annoying.  Because my email on my device doesn't require me to type in my User Name and Password, which I already have saved in these little boxes and already has my contacts loaded, and do you have any idea how many people I know now?   Because having to use your ID badge with your laptop is annoying.  The rules don't apply to me.  I'm too busy.  I'm too important.

Not really mind-boggling at all.  Just don't see why everybody's acting as if she's the first and only.  I know of a certain general and former CIA director that's facing jail time this week for more egregious email violations, all for the sake of pussy.  Funny how that story's been nowhere as big as this one.

It isn't as big because it isn't as big. Nothing funny about it - he isn't running for President, and isn't one the top few leading political figures in the country.

0 rows returned

KRonn

I think Dems have to be looking at Hillary's baggage more and more. Her book didn't sell so that was a warning to the party elites and those Dems who may think to run against her. She also has ethics investigations over her charity fund, including questions on her using it during her time as Sec State with possible conflicts of interest, getting large donations with the donators possibly receiving lucrative contracts. I think some of that stuff being investigated is normal though, happens with candidates.

Now the email issue which even if legal, which it probably wasn't really as the laws changed in 2009. She was required to use a government account and that emails be archived by the government (IRS backups missing, anyone?). Her own private server? I wonder how much hackers have gotten?  Hillary is getting more attention than Petraeus because she's running for President. I think Petraeus pled guilty so he's going to face some serious penalties but his story is pretty much over. Hillary's story, even if nothing too much there illegal, might continue on since there may not be much resolution as we know that there will never be resolution on getting all her emails.  (Heck, they just found the Lois Lehrner backup tapes and thousands of other emails by an IG physically going to the pertinent IRS office and asking the IT officials, who said they never received requests for the stuff but it's just right here. ) Hillary's personal email server will certainly look bad given what else is going on, like this IRS stuff.

Then recently questions on Bill spending time on some rich guy's island retreat who brought in under-age girls. So I think that guy is now in some legal trouble though it remains to be seen if or how it reflects on Bill, or if on Hillary at all.

I'm sure all this stuff taken together is giving other Dem contenders more reason to run and causing the Dem party leaders to have some heartburn.

grumbler

I find your explanation more compelling than the Jake/CC one.  It's ego, not ignorance.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Berkut on March 05, 2015, 03:02:28 PM
It isn't as big because it isn't as big. Nothing funny about it - he isn't running for President, and isn't one the top few leading political figures in the country.

She wasn't mishandling classified intelligence information as Director of the Central Intelligence Agency, which is a substantially a bigger issue than forwarding "LOLcat" pics from her Blackberry.

Grey Fox

You basically said the samething than Berk, Seedy.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Berkut

Quote from: CountDeMoney on March 05, 2015, 03:29:45 PM
Quote from: Berkut on March 05, 2015, 03:02:28 PM

She wasn't mishandling classified intelligence information as Director of the Central Intelligence Agency, which is a substantially a bigger issue than forwarding "LOLcat" pics from her Blackberry.

Which is a good reason why he is being criminally prosecuted, and she is not.

Why you think the differences in coverage is some kind of story itself is beyond me.

0 rows returned

Berkut

Quote from: grumbler on March 05, 2015, 03:27:52 PM

I find your explanation more compelling than the Jake/CC one.  It's ego, not ignorance.

:yes:

0 rows returned

CountDeMoney

Quote from: KRonn on March 05, 2015, 03:20:28 PM
I think Dems have to be looking at Hillary's baggage more and more.

No, they don't.  Team Hillary and Team ClintonHate have been divvied up for so long, there's nobody left that hasn't picked a side--and this issue isn't going to make a bit of difference between her supporters and her detractors, other than seeing them both dig in even deeper.

garbon

Quote from: KRonn on March 05, 2015, 03:20:28 PM
I'm sure all this stuff taken together is giving other Dem contenders more reason to run and causing the Dem party leaders to have some heartburn.

It is all Mickey Mouse bullshit though. Besides, obviously other candidates should run.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Berkut on March 05, 2015, 03:31:57 PM
Which is a good reason why he is being criminally prosecuted, and she is not.

Why you think the differences in coverage is some kind of story itself is beyond me.

Because it's not every day you see the Director of the CIA being criminally charged.  On the other hand, we've been reading how the rules don't apply to the Clintons for 25 years.

CountDeMoney