And we're back!

Main Menu

2016 elections - because it's never too early

Started by merithyn, May 09, 2013, 07:37:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

CountDeMoney

Quote from: DGuller on January 13, 2015, 09:04:13 AM
Well, he did get the Russia thing right,

No, he didn't.  Russia is not our greatest geopolitical foe.  It may be Europe's greatest annoyance, however.

Ed Anger

He has 4 more years worth of binders full of women.

I know I do.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

garbon

I don't mind Romney running again. It is sad that he is one of the best contenders for the Republican party, but meh.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

CountDeMoney

His presidential campaign was the biggest political car wreck since Mondale '84, so it's nice to see him putting everything back together.  You'd think such a savvy businessman would learn lessons.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Gups on January 13, 2015, 08:53:59 AM
You coudl kinda understand it if he were loved by the base ala Adlei Stevenson.

He does appear to be loved by the donor base.

garbon

Quote from: CountDeMoney on January 13, 2015, 09:48:04 AM
His presidential campaign was the biggest political car wreck since Mondale '84, so it's nice to see him putting everything back together.  You'd think such a savvy businessman would learn lessons.

NY mag had a piece where they said they refused to believe this is real / why would Republicans want to give Romney another try when there are so many other candidates available.  I'm not sure I follow that given that buzz so far has been around dreadful Republicans.

http://elections.huffingtonpost.com/pollster/2016-national-gop-primary

I can't see anyone in that list who I would want as a president over Romney.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: garbon on January 13, 2015, 10:03:32 AM

I would actually prefer Jeb over Romney, at least Jeb has a pulse. Romney is simply a repellant human being.

garbon

Quote from: CountDeMoney on January 13, 2015, 10:08:20 AM
Quote from: garbon on January 13, 2015, 10:03:32 AM

I would actually prefer Jeb over Romney, at least Jeb has a pulse. Romney is simply a repellant human being.

I don't know this "Power Line" but I liked this opener.

QuoteWHAT'S THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN MITT ROMNEY AND JEB BUSH?

Clearly Romney and Bush disagree about immigration policy. But the key difference, I think, is this: Mitt Romney is a patrician who lacks the common touch, but wants to show he doesn't think he's better than the rest of us. Jeb Bush is a partician (sic) who possesses the common touch to some extent, but seems bent on showing his superiority.

http://www.powerlineblog.com/archives/2015/01/whats-the-difference-between-mitt-romney-and-jeb-bush.php

Gups

Worse than that Greek fella in 88? Dole '96 was no great shakes either.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Gups on January 13, 2015, 10:21:17 AM

Yeah, worse than the "Greek fella"--at least he broke triple digits in electoral votes.  Mondale's campaign was void of content and soul. 

Europeans and swarthy people.  :rolleyes:

DGuller

Quote from: CountDeMoney on January 13, 2015, 09:32:39 AM
Quote from: DGuller on January 13, 2015, 09:04:13 AM
Well, he did get the Russia thing right,

No, he didn't.  Russia is not our greatest geopolitical foe.  It may be Europe's greatest annoyance, however.
You can make a very strong argument for China, but Russia is at the very least a solid top 2.  I would argue that it comes out on top on account of being openly hostile to US, whereas Chinese are more pragmatic.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: DGuller on January 13, 2015, 11:21:28 AM
You can make a very strong argument for China, but Russia is at the very least a solid top 2.

Then that's not "our greatest", now is it?

QuoteI would argue that it comes out on top on account of being openly hostile to US, whereas Chinese are more pragmatic not as openly hostile.

Fixed your post, Ivan.

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Gups

Quote from: CountDeMoney on January 13, 2015, 10:43:25 AM
Quote from: Gups on January 13, 2015, 10:21:17 AM

Yeah, worse than the "Greek fella"--at least he broke triple digits in electoral votes.  Mondale's campaign was void of content and soul. 

Europeans and swarthy people.  :rolleyes:

I mean was Mitt worse than Dukakis (obvs Mondale's has no comparator except McGovern for all round incompetence). He certainly did better in the electoral college if that's your milestone.

It's not like Mike didn't play to the American Greek vote, Mr Hubert-holier-than-thou.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Gups on January 13, 2015, 11:30:54 AM
I mean was Mitt worse than Dukakis (obvs Mondale's has no comparator except McGovern for all round incompetence). He certainly did better in the electoral college if that's your milestone.

Yeah, Mitt's campaign was an atrocity;  Dukakis had his flubs, to be sure, but they were more of missed opportunities and lack of responses than Mitt's campaign of intentional fuck-ups like the overseas trip, coming out to speak about Benghazi the night of the attack before the facts were in, not releasing his tax returns, and so on.  Dukakis' '88 campaign was not nearly as bad.  Mondale '84, though?  Talk about a campaign with no ideas, no content, no nothing.  Just Geraldine Ferraro, who deserved better.

QuoteIt's not like Mike didn't play to the American Greek vote, Mr Hubert-holier-than-thou.

Yeah, Dukakis had certainly locked in the coveted gyro street vendor bloc.   :P