2016 elections - because it's never too early

Started by merithyn, May 09, 2013, 07:37:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Valmy

Quote from: sbr on December 19, 2016, 01:42:14 AM
As much as I hate Trump, the Electors overturning the election and voting in Hillary would be about worst case scenario.

Right. Like many things it would not be illegal per se but it would break tradition and unwritten rules, and it is those that really make our system function.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Habbaku

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on December 19, 2016, 01:26:45 AM
I tried to find betting odds on faithless electors tomorrow but couldn't find any.

The electoral votes aren't even supposed to be counted until January 6th.  I wonder if the electors will spill the beans beforehand?
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

HisMajestyBOB

Quote from: Valmy on December 19, 2016, 08:16:33 AM
As much as I hate Trump, the Electors overturning the election and voting in Hillary would be about worst case scenario.

Right. Like many things it would not be illegal per se but it would break tradition and unwritten rules, and it is those that really make our system function.

And that's why the Democrats will continue to lose ground. The Republicans have no qualms about breaking tradition or unwritten rules if it helps them get and maintain power.
Three lovely Prada points for HoI2 help

Valmy

Quote from: HisMajestyBOB on December 19, 2016, 11:10:15 AM

And that's why the Democrats will continue to lose ground. The Republicans have no qualms about breaking tradition or unwritten rules if it helps them get and maintain power.

Increasingly this is so. Or at least the ones in North Carolina anyway.

Now that the Obamapocalypse is about to end maybe they will pivot.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Maximus

And some people are still calling them conservatives.  :rolleyes:

LaCroix

dems keep losing because people aren't buying what they're selling, not because republicans are badasses at congress

alfred russel

Quote from: Maximus on December 19, 2016, 12:35:01 PM
And some people are still calling them conservatives.  :rolleyes:

Maybe they are just old school conservatives: like from back in the day when democracy was a left wing idea.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Valmy

Quote from: LaCroix on December 19, 2016, 12:37:31 PM
dems keep losing because people aren't buying what they're selling, not because republicans are badasses at congress

Sure. Not related at all to what we are talking about but sure.

derspiess

So there's no pressure/harassment on electors to change their votes?
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Valmy

Quote from: derspiess on December 19, 2016, 01:15:31 PM
So there's no pressure/harassment on electors to change their votes?

There is a difference though. To the best of my knowledge the electors thing is driven by activists.

Lawmakers breaking centuries of tradition by rewriting the laws as lame ducks is driven by elected officials.

The both are very dangerous precedents though. Worrisome.

And of course: DOOOOOOOOOOOMED. I hope you have your hacienda in Argentina to escape to.

Legbiter

QuoteA Minnesota Democratic elector has become the first "faithless elector" of Monday's nationwide Electoral College vote after refusing to vote for Hillary Clinton.

Muhammad Abdurrahman, a former Bernie Sanders delegate to the Democratic National Convention, attempted to vote for a presidential ticket of Sanders and Hawaii Rep. Tulsi Gabbard, according to The Associated Press's Kyle Potter.

Abdurrahman's vote was declared invalid and an alternate elector was appointed, allowing the state to go ahead and deliver its 10 electoral votes for Hillary Clinton

http://thehill.com/homenews/campaign/311055-minnesota-elector-refuses-to-back-clinton

Bernouts.  :lol:
Posted using 100% recycled electrons.

Valmy

And this kind of shows how the system takes care of it. The states control the electors so most states will take care of it if they decide to go nuts, especially if it actually decides an election.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Valmy on December 19, 2016, 02:28:10 PM
And this kind of shows how the system takes care of it. The states control the electors so most states will take care of it, especially if it actually decides an election.

My understanding is electors are animals of federal constitutional law, and in fact states have zero control over them once they have been selected.

Valmy

Quote from: Admiral Yi on December 19, 2016, 02:30:15 PM
Quote from: Valmy on December 19, 2016, 02:28:10 PM
And this kind of shows how the system takes care of it. The states control the electors so most states will take care of it, especially if it actually decides an election.

My understanding is electors are animals of federal constitutional law, and in fact states have zero control over them once they have been selected.

I think you are wrong about that. I think the electors are appointed by the states and have laws telling them who they can vote for. For example Nebraska and Maine both have those funky rules for their congressional districts.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Valmy on December 19, 2016, 02:32:37 PM
I think you are wrong about that. I think the electors are appointed by the states and have laws telling them who they can vote for. For example Nebraska and Maine both have those funky rules for their congressional districts.

The only thing I've ever read about related to state control is fines that can be imposed for not voting the way you're supposed to.  Which would be a pointless law if in fact the state could control your vote.