2016 elections - because it's never too early

Started by merithyn, May 09, 2013, 07:37:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

frunk

Pretty much all of media devolved to "attacks" and "scandals" because that's what got attention.  Trump got more publicity and attention because he was pretty much a continuous stream of stupid.  The few things that Hillary did wrong got quite a bit of attention.

LaCroix

Quote from: Admiral Yi on November 29, 2016, 10:02:50 AM
Quote from: LaCroix on November 29, 2016, 09:52:14 AM
of course the media was biased against him. he may have deserved that bias through his actions and words, but the media's reporting of him was not kind. his supporters saw that, he won, and their thoughts about the media were vindicated

I get the impression you're using the word bias differently than most people do.  You seem to be saying that the media accurately reported what he said and did, which was often (always) negative, and that this shows bias.

I'm saying trump's actions were more scrutinized by the media. people ultimately cared a lot less than what the reporters/editors thought were important. a lot of the articles were written for a specific audience, and the people who ultimately voted trump weren't part of that audience. to them, they probably saw trump hounded for small/trivial things, while hillary got off pretty nicely

garbon

Quote from: LaCroix on November 29, 2016, 10:05:10 AM
Quote from: garbon on November 29, 2016, 09:55:13 AM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on November 29, 2016, 09:46:05 AMHow was the media biased against Trump?  Did they say things about him that weren't true?

of course the media was biased against him. he may have deserved that bias through his actions and words, but the media's reporting of him was not kind. his supporters saw that, he won, and their thoughts about the media were vindicated

Bias isn't the same as being unkind, it typically involves a lack of fairness. Where was the lack of fairness?

everyone has bias, and everyone's preconceived notions impact how they view/interpret later events. trump got off on the wrong foot with the media, and he and the media battled it out all election long. depending how you define unfair, the media was unfair to trump in that they treated essentially all of his actions as being the worst thing ever. they could have attacked hillary more, but they didn't.

why is there a knee jerk reaction to "the media was biased against trump"?

:huh:

Hillary was constantly raked over the coals when even the hint of a piece of new information was available. Many column inches were spent just on potential conflicts of interests with her foundation...
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

garbon

Quote from: LaCroix on November 29, 2016, 10:12:19 AM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on November 29, 2016, 10:02:50 AM

I get the impression you're using the word bias differently than most people do.  You seem to be saying that the media accurately reported what he said and did, which was often (always) negative, and that this shows bias.

I'm saying trump's actions were more scrutinized by the media. people ultimately cared a lot less than what the reporters/editors thought were important. a lot of the articles were written for a specific audience, and the people who ultimately voted trump weren't part of that audience. to them, they probably saw trump hounded for small/trivial things, while hillary got off pretty nicely

So that tells us that they had a slanted view of what actually happened. Doesn't mean the media was biased against Trump.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

LaCroix

dude NYT at points was like an inch away from publishing an In Depth article on how trump is literally hitler

Valmy

They had evidence Hitler survived 1945, became immortal, and died his skin orange? Damn.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Eddie Teach

Nah, Hitler's spirit was reincarnated in Trump.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: LaCroix on November 29, 2016, 09:42:33 AM
I don't mind some peoples' growing mistrust of the media, because to be fair the media was biased against trump, and they got blown away.

No human being on planet earth owes more to the media than Donald Trump.  Without the media he be a forgotten, disgraced bankrupt from the 90s.  The media won him the primary and it helped win him the general.  And that happened because one thing that Trump understands well is that the media is biased - to stories that will attract attention, audience and ratings.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Valmy

I was about to say: the media was Trump's campaign staff and the entire reason for his career. Seems weird to suggest they were his enemy somehow. He played them like he always does.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

LaCroix

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on November 29, 2016, 10:26:40 AM
Quote from: LaCroix on November 29, 2016, 09:42:33 AM
I don't mind some peoples' growing mistrust of the media, because to be fair the media was biased against trump, and they got blown away.

No human being on planet earth owes more to the media than Donald Trump.  Without the media he be a forgotten, disgraced bankrupt from the 90s.  The media won him the primary and it helped win him the general.  And that happened because one thing that Trump understands well is that the media is biased - to stories that will attract attention, audience and ratings.

agree with the first part and mostly agree with the second. i'd add journalists/editors also probably mostly hated trump and/or hated what they imagined he stood for (whether he actually stood for it). this has an effect on the reporting, it just does.

derspiess

Quote from: Valmy on November 29, 2016, 10:27:45 AM
I was about to say: the media was Trump's campaign staff and the entire reason for his career. Seems weird to suggest they were his enemy somehow. He played them like he always does.

Particularly true during the primaries.  I'd say less so during the general.  Whether or not he played them, I think it's fair to say there was some bias against Trump.  I expect a certain bias against any GOP candidate.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

FunkMonk

Quote from: Legbiter on November 29, 2016, 06:49:29 AM
World's greatest twitter troll. :thumbsup: He's using Facebook and Twitter like Roosevelt used radio for his fireside chats, bypassing the media.

His twitter account will one day be proudly displayed in the Smithsonian.  :lol: Alongside Clinton's email server.

Be careful.

Don't. Underestimate. Donald. Fucking. Trump.
Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

derspiess

Quote from: FunkMonk on November 29, 2016, 10:34:15 AM
Don't. Underestimate. Donald. Fucking. Trump.

You kidding me?  He's done.  His campaign will implode anytime now...
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Eddie Teach

Quote from: derspiess on November 29, 2016, 10:39:47 AM

They say denial is the first stage of grief.  :hmm:
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

FunkMonk

Quote from: Eddie Teach on November 29, 2016, 10:47:45 AM
Quote from: derspiess on November 29, 2016, 10:39:47 AM

They say denial is the first stage of grief.  :hmm:

Big news. Donnie will purge Languish. Believe me, folks.
Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.