2016 elections - because it's never too early

Started by merithyn, May 09, 2013, 07:37:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Admiral Yi

Why do you think he would get shellacked in the general?

derspiess

Quote from: Admiral Yi on May 09, 2013, 12:30:28 PM

Too New York-- his name & accent won't play well in the heartland.  Too far left.  Esablished anti-gun record.

He was making some good inroads toward the middle by taking on the teacher unions but I'm not seeing a whole lot else now that would help grab the center.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

merithyn

Quote from: derspiess on May 09, 2013, 01:03:44 PM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on May 09, 2013, 12:30:28 PM

Too New York-- his name & accent won't play well in the heartland.  Too far left.  Esablished anti-gun record.

He was making some good inroads toward the middle by taking on the teacher unions but I'm not seeing a whole lot else now that would help grab the center.

:hmm:

I'd say the gun thing would be a good way to do so... Plus, eastern Republicans read better to the Heartland. More in keeping with the socially liberal, fiscally conservative that we like.
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

Admiral Yi

Quote from: merithyn on May 09, 2013, 01:06:01 PM
Plus, eastern Republicans read better to the Heartland. More in keeping with the socially liberal, fiscally conservative that we like.

Cuomo?  :hmm:

derspiess

"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

The Minsky Moment

Rubio, Bush, and Christie are all strong.  Jindal is a VP run.  Walker may have problems holding together the Reagan coalition of working class blue collars in Ohio and Penn. 
Rand Paul is a fruitcake.  It's nice that he is socially moderate but just say the word "Fed" and he starts speaking in tongues.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

merithyn

Quote from: Admiral Yi on May 09, 2013, 01:08:52 PM
Plus, eastern Republicans read better to the Heartland. More in keeping with the socially liberal, fiscally conservative that we like.

I'm sorry. I thought you were talking about Mario Cuomo from New York. Are you not? :unsure:

derspiess

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on May 09, 2013, 01:10:44 PM
Rubio, Bush, and Christie are all strong.  Jindal is a VP run.  Walker may have problems holding together the Reagan coalition of working class blue collars in Ohio and Penn. 
Rand Paul is a fruitcake.  It's nice that he is socially moderate but just say the word "Fed" and he starts speaking in tongues.

AUDIT THE FED

garbon

Quote from: merithyn on May 09, 2013, 01:16:17 PM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on May 09, 2013, 01:08:52 PM

I'm sorry. I thought you were talking about Mario Cuomo from New York. Are you not? :unsure:

Andrew Coumo, his son (and current governor of New York). Also as far as I know Mario was also a Democrat...
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: merithyn on May 09, 2013, 01:16:17 PM

I was.  The only family more Democrat than the Cuomos is the Daleys.

Joan: fair knock on Paul.  Let's see if he can get coached up a little and transition his message to a more reasonable critique of easy money.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: derspiess on May 09, 2013, 09:01:39 AM
Tea Party Taint isn't quite as strong a factor as you think it is, for example.

As long as they continue letting the local fruitcakes run the primary system, it will remain a factor.

Oh look, and they kept Rinse Previous as RNC chairman, too.  Unanimously.  So much for not being the "party of the stupid" next time around.

I can't wait for the next GOP primary season, with the same knuckleheads in charge as last time.

merithyn

Quote from: garbon on May 09, 2013, 01:25:23 PM

Andrew Coumo, his son (and current governor of New York). Also as far as I know Mario was also a Democrat...

My mistake. (And I thought they were Democrats, but figured I had it wrong.)

My point was more that Republicans from the upper east coast play far better in middle America than any other Republicans.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: merithyn on May 09, 2013, 11:55:19 AM
Personally, a less socially conservative GOP would make me very, very happy.

That ship sailed, sister.

derspiess

Quote from: CountDeMoney on May 09, 2013, 01:45:37 PM
Oh look, and they kept Rinse Previous as RNC chairman, too.  Unanimously. 

Hey, don't knock my boy.  His rebranding initiative was a political masterpiece :lol:

QuoteSo much for not being the "party of the stupid" next time around.

Yeah, we are the stupid party :(

Eddie Teach

Quote from: merithyn on May 09, 2013, 08:19:47 AM
Quote from: derspiess on May 09, 2013, 08:17:22 AM
Oh, I forgot-- this is Languish, where hatred of Teh RIght obscures all objective thought.

:secret: garbon is on the right. :secret:

Not any more than Yi is on the left.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?