And we're back!

Main Menu

2016 elections - because it's never too early

Started by merithyn, May 09, 2013, 07:37:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Valmy

Quote from: Admiral Yi on February 09, 2016, 04:51:59 PM
Quote from: frunk on February 09, 2016, 04:25:07 PM
Why would that be true any more than it is now?  There would still be debates and campaigning.  You can still have Iowa and New Hampshire be on the first week, then say another 3 or 4 on the following week, then the bulk spread over the following weeks.

Air time in Iowa (and I assume in New Hampshire) is relatively cheap.  Air time in delegate rich states is expensive.  Also, the conventional wisdom runs that Iowa and New Hampshire get a boner for retail politics, i.e. they vote for candidates they get to take a picture next to.  That means relatively unknown candidates (such as Obama) are playing on a somewhat level playing field.

Outdated thinking about outdated technology. In a very short time TV is going to be totally different. Structuring our political system around a dying medium is absurd.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Barrister on February 09, 2016, 04:30:42 PM
Canada just had a 3 month election campaign.

It was absurdly long by Canadian standards.  Usually it's only 5-6 weeks.

A short election campaign has the virtue that everyone can pay attention all at once.  Nobody but us political geeks pays attention to campaigns that run for months and month.  But even regular joes can pay attention for a few weeks.

Apples and oranges.  You choose party leaders behind closed doors.

Valmy

Quote from: Admiral Yi on February 09, 2016, 04:54:50 PM

Well they do have to be elected to a constituency. Hey what happens if the party wins but the party leader losses his or her seat? Hmmmm...
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

dps

Quote from: Valmy on February 09, 2016, 04:56:51 PM

Well they do have to be elected to a constituency. Hey what happens if the party wins but the party leader losses his or her seat? Hmmmm...

Normally in parliamentary systems, parties either run their leaders in exceedingly safe constituencies, or there's a proportional representational system used where a party will get X number of seats based on the percentage of the vote the party got and the party picks who will fill those seats.

Barrister

A short election campaign has the virtue that everyone can pay attention all at once.  Nobody but us political geeks pays attention to campaigns that run for months and month.  But even regular joes can pay attention for a few weeks.

Nu-uh.

Party memberships are sold for $5 or $10 a pop.  Party members then vote directly for the party leader.  130,774 voted in the Liberal party leadership race that elected Trudeau.  97,397 voted in the Conservative Party leadership race.

Well... it's not directly "one member, one vote" because it's normalized so each riding has the same number of points.  But it's definitely not done in stuffy back rooms.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

garbon

Quote from: Valmy on February 09, 2016, 11:28:43 AM
I don't think this applies in the internet age. Every candidate has almost unlimited opportunity to reach every single community in the country for virtually no cost.

Just think about how much we know about that social media campaigner De La Fuente. :P
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

dps

Quote from: Barrister on February 09, 2016, 05:11:28 PM

Nu-uh.

Party memberships are sold for $5 or $10 a pop.  Party members then vote directly for the party leader.  130,774 voted in the Liberal party leadership race that elected Trudeau.  97,397 voted in the Conservative Party leadership race.

Well... it's not directly "one member, one vote" because it's normalized so each riding has the same number of points.  But it's definitely not done in stuffy back rooms.

So out of 35 million or so people, if you can get 65,388 people to vote for you, you can become Prime Minister.  That's a pretty sweet deal.

Barrister

Quote from: dps on February 09, 2016, 05:15:00 PM

Nu-uh.

So out of 35 million or so people, if you can get 65,388 people to vote for you, you can become Prime Minister.  That's a pretty sweet deal.

Well both of those elections were when the party was in opposition.

And there were only 17,552,402 votes cast in 2015.

Admiral Yi

Nu-uh.

Which is only $3.60 in real money.  BOOYAH!

So no superdelegates/union veto/some other trick so the party elders can keep hold on the reins?

Barrister

Quote from: Admiral Yi on February 09, 2016, 05:26:06 PM
Nu-uh.

Which is only $3.60 in real money.  BOOYAH!

So no superdelegates/union veto/some other trick so the party elders can keep hold on the reins?

Nope.  The NDP even got rid of it's 25% union votes provision.

There may be some room for the party elders to invalidate the candidacy of someone wildly inappopriate, but if it exists, I don't think it has ever been used.  The only instance I can think of, when David Orchard and his anti-free-trade movement almost took over the PC Party, was allowed to go forward.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Barrister on February 09, 2016, 05:39:52 PM

There may be some room for the party elders to invalidate the candidacy of someone wildly inappopriate, but if it exists, I don't think it has ever been used.  The only instance I can think of, when David Orchard and his anti-free-trade movement almost took over the PC Party, was allowed to go forward.

OK.

So who gets to decide who the candidates are?

Barrister

Quote from: Admiral Yi on February 09, 2016, 07:05:37 PM
Quote from: Barrister on February 09, 2016, 05:39:52 PM

OK.

So who gets to decide who the candidates are?

Anyone who shells out the sizeable deposit / entry fee.  For the Liberals in 2013 it was $75k.

Kleves

My aim, then, was to whip the rebels, to humble their pride, to follow them to their inmost recesses, and make them fear and dread us. Fear is the beginning of wisdom.

11B4V

"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Neil

Quote from: 11B4V on February 09, 2016, 09:46:58 PM
I wonder if Hillary is worried.
Why would she be?  She must have known that she was going to lose New Hampshire.  She has the superdelegates, the South and the money locked up.  Sure, Sanders will make some noise, but the only thing she should be worried about is if the people who are pro-Bernie are so put off by her machine rolling over their guy that they stay home in the general election.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.