2016 elections - because it's never too early

Started by merithyn, May 09, 2013, 07:37:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Maximus

Quote from: Sheilbh on November 13, 2013, 08:52:06 AM
No it's not. Hearing both sides of the argument is, maybe, a requirement. But Nye Bevan doesn't have to be balanced when he's making the NHS, Paul Ryan doesn't need to be balanced when he's advocating balancing the budget solely through spending cuts.

Perhaps not the best examples as they both support my argument.

Admiral Yi

I think balance in the sense of being aware of, and accounting for, negative repercussions of your well-intended policy is crucial in a legislator or executive.

Elizabeth Warren gives no indication of posessing this trait.  She views politics and policy as a morality play.

Maximus

Also being able to be convinced by opposing arguments and changing your stance accordingly. I have no idea whether Warren passes this test; as far as I can tell she's a one-trick pony. My observations are in general.

Razgovory

Could someone remind what Warren has done to garner the distaste she gets from people on this board?
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

merithyn

Quote from: Razgovory on November 13, 2013, 11:35:05 AM
Could someone remind what Warren has done to garner the distaste she gets from people on this board?

I don't know that she's done anything. I don't imagine that I could vote for her right now because it doesn't feel like she has anything of substance to her jargon. It doesn't help that I see her a lot like Yi does, too. Policy is a matter of morality with her, it seems, and that's a problem for me. I want practical, solid ideas that are based on the reality of numbers. I haven't seen much of that from her.

I should point out that my opinion can be changed based on new information.
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

DGuller

Quote from: CountDeMoney on November 12, 2013, 12:18:31 PM
I bet if Warren had a penis, the amount of illogical hatred leveled at her wouldn't be so severe.  None of you money monkeys have yet to demonstrably explain exactly why she's so vile, considering she just got to Washington.
I have yet to hear a reasoned out criticism of Warren.  All I see is Yi foaming at the mouth at the mere mention of her, along with the usual retards.  I don't even know whether I agree or disagree with the criticisms of her, I have yet to run across a statement that I could evaluate.

merithyn

Quote from: DGuller on November 13, 2013, 11:53:02 AM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on November 12, 2013, 12:18:31 PM
I bet if Warren had a penis, the amount of illogical hatred leveled at her wouldn't be so severe.  None of you money monkeys have yet to demonstrably explain exactly why she's so vile, considering she just got to Washington.
I have yet to hear a reasoned out criticism of Warren.  All I see is Yi foaming at the mouth at the mere mention of her, along with the usual retards.  I don't even know whether I agree or disagree with the criticisms of her, I have yet to run across a statement that I could evaluate.

:glare:
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

Admiral Yi

You win Raz.

DGuller

Quote from: Maximus on November 12, 2013, 10:09:51 PM
Quote from: Sheilbh on November 12, 2013, 03:33:54 PM
Why should she be balanced?

Because that's a requirement for making solid decisions, which is a legislator's primary job.
No, it's not.  That's the fallacy of middle ground.  Balance and compromise should be the means, not the end.

Eddie Teach

From what I gather, the criticism is that she's an inflexible ideologue.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

garbon

Quote from: merithyn on November 13, 2013, 11:51:56 AM
Quote from: Razgovory on November 13, 2013, 11:35:05 AM

I don't know that she's done anything. I don't imagine that I could vote for her right now because it doesn't feel like she has anything of substance to her jargon. It doesn't help that I see her a lot like Yi does, too. Policy is a matter of morality with her, it seems, and that's a problem for me. I want practical, solid ideas that are based on the reality of numbers. I haven't seen much of that from her.

I should point out that my opinion can be changed based on new information.

:yes:

Though all of what you have said has biased me against her enough that the new info would need to be pretty significant.

It also doesn't help that the liberal lions I know who knew her at Harvard also don't have particularly great things to say about her.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

DGuller

Quote from: Admiral Yi on November 13, 2013, 11:55:29 AM

You win Raz.
Well, I haven't seen you state a single coherent argument against her, which considering your level of vitriol against her is both surprising and uncharacteristic.  I'm really dumbfounded as to the root of such deep distaste for her.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: DGuller on November 13, 2013, 12:06:45 PM
Well, I haven't seen you state a single coherent argument against her, which considering your level of vitriol against her is both surprising and uncharacteristic.  I'm really dumbfounded as to the root of such deep distaste for her.

Accusing someone of foaming at the mouth is not the typical response to confusion.

It is also not the most productive method of eliciting an informative response.  Baiting through insults is page one of the Raz play book.

Razgovory

Quote from: Admiral Yi on November 13, 2013, 11:55:29 AM

You win Raz.

I thought maybe I just forgot why she's such an awful reason.  Maybe the case has never been made.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Razgovory

Quote from: Admiral Yi on November 13, 2013, 12:11:53 PM

Accusing someone of foaming at the mouth is not the typical response to confusion.

It is also not the most productive method of eliciting an informative response.  Baiting through insults is page one of the Raz play book.

Page one of my play book is a forward written Emo Philips.