Main Menu

2016 elections - because it's never too early

Started by merithyn, May 09, 2013, 07:37:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Syt

Quote from: CountDeMoney on November 11, 2016, 12:11:30 PM
Quote from: derspiess on November 11, 2016, 11:37:23 AM
It starts with a Mumia quote.  How is that sane?  :huh:

That's part of the problem.  The fringe media--on both sides--is so readily accessible now, it's given a validation it doesn't deserve. Media that tacks too hard, from CounterPunch to Breitbart, would never have made the radar 20 years ago.  Now, even the nuttiest of wings is a click away.

What I find worse than the handful of people who take those outlets seriously are the people who apply the logic "the truth must be in the middle" to serious media and the lunatics.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Syt on November 11, 2016, 12:25:14 PM
What I find worse than the handful of people who take those outlets seriously are the people who apply the logic "the truth must be in the middle" to serious media and the lunatics.

The Lamestream Media is soooo biased, this has got to be The Truth.

derspiess

Quote from: Grey Fox on November 11, 2016, 12:24:17 PM
Quote from: derspiess on November 11, 2016, 11:37:23 AM
Quote from: Grey Fox on November 11, 2016, 11:32:59 AM
I'm reading this thing on Counterpunch. http://www.counterpunch.org/2016/11/10/the-big-split/

It starts sane but quickly go down from there. I thought I understood these people, turns out I don't.

It starts with a Mumia quote.  How is that sane?  :huh:

I dont know who that is.

Convicted cop killer. International hero among far leftists.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

alfred russel

Quote from: jimmy olsen on November 10, 2016, 10:47:18 PM
"California Secretary of State reporting 4.6 Million ballots left in the state. If true, Clinton will win ~51-52% of national popular vote."

Crazy vote share for someone who lost the electoral college. It's supposed to be virtually impossilbe once the win is by more than 2 percent.

Tim, thank you so much for posting this highly credible information. California is now reporting, and Hillary has less than 48% of the vote.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

derspiess

"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

derspiess

Btw this is what I had seen yesterday.  CNN briefly changed their popular vote projections and then put Hillary back in front saying they encountered a "design flaw".

http://townhall.com/tipsheet/christinerousselle/2016/11/10/plot-twist-cnn-now-saying-that-donald-trump-won-the-popular-vote-n2244077

Phillip V

Wikipedia seems good at continuing to update vote totals: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_presidential_election,_2016

Clinton and Trump have now both cleared 60 million.  They each need 61 million to beat Romney.

Legbiter

Quote from: alfred russel on November 11, 2016, 01:16:25 PMTim, thank you so much for posting this highly credible information. California is now reporting, and Hillary has less than 48% of the vote.

Fatebinder Tim.  :sleep:
Posted using 100% recycled electrons.

Fate

Quote from: Phillip V on November 11, 2016, 01:46:22 PM
Wikipedia seems good at continuing to update vote totals: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_presidential_election,_2016

Clinton and Trump have now both cleared 60 million.  They each need 61 million to beat Romney.

I saw a projection that it'll be about 64 million per person.

derspiess

Eddie Teach

You got some reason for thinking Ellison would do a poor job?
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Fate

Ultra left wing Muslim heading the DNC? Great way to outreach to the white working class. We'll carry the West and East coasts next time, for sure.

celedhring

Do the party chairs have that much influence over the party political direction anyway? They have a hand on the levers for sure but I understood it's merely an organizational position.

Razgovory

Quote from: celedhring on November 11, 2016, 04:10:33 PM
Do the party chairs have that much influence over the party political direction anyway? They have a hand on the levers for sure but I understood it's merely an organizational position.

Apparently so.  Do somehow they created millions of additional votes for Clinton.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

OttoVonBismarck

Eh, party chair is really important in mid-terms, they're often instrumental in organizing the slate of candidates and helping decide where to focus money. Howard Dean got a lot of credit for this in the 2006 midterms. During a Presidential general election, the party chair is much less important than the party's presidential nominee and their campaign.

In the primary it's relatively important, as the party chair can obviously wield power to help one candidate over the other. The biggest way this happened in 2016 was the scheduling of the debates benefited Hillary over Bernie. Additionally a high ranking member of the DNC was leaking debate questions to Hillary. Did this steal the primary from Bernie? Seems pretty doubtful, I don't see how either materially generated many votes for Hillary. Hillary won the primary mostly because her "pre-primary" campaign soaked up all the important endorsements and more importantly, with them, all the important party money sources. That squeezed any serious "establishment" candidate completely out of the picture.

This wasn't totally dissimilar from 2008 when she did the same thing, but in 2008 throughout the entire campaign Obama was doing better with establishment figures/traditional political backers than Bernie ever did.

Bernie's power against Hillary as an insurgent showed how weak she was, but Bernie ultimately lost because he didn't know how or wasn't able to get black votes, and that's a unique problem that Obama didn't have at all as an insurgent. I don't see how more debates, or Hillary being told she'd be asked about the death penalty or about the Flint water crisis at a debate would've made Bernie not lose states like Mississippi 80-20.

There's probably an argument for "weighting" Democratic delegates based on whether the state has recently sent its electoral votes to a Democrat, or based on the percentage of the state vote usually won by the Democrat. It's kinda silly Hillary won the primary because she did great among the Democratic primary voters in states like Mississippi, Alabama and etc which wouldn't come within a mile of turning blue in the general. Hillary won some of the big blue states that were blue anyway (NY, CA); she didn't win many swing states in the primaries. She won NC/PA/FL/OH, but PA/FL were more for structural reasons. They both didn't allow same day registration in the primary, and both actually required you to pre-register as a Democrat weeks in advance. Any State like that was always rough for Bernie because most of his primary voters weren't pre-registered as Democrats for years and years, many were independents or first time voters who missed registration deadlines for the primary election. Most importantly in several important Trump states Bernie won handily--WI/MI for example.