2016 elections - because it's never too early

Started by merithyn, May 09, 2013, 07:37:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

CountDeMoney

I really wish they'd knock it off with all this "rigged election" bullshit.

Zanza

I find it surprising that statistics on early voting are published.  We have a complete information blackout until 6pm on election day. 

Zanza

QuoteIf Donald Trump is president, he'd like to make some changes to the First Amendment.
In an interview with WFOR, CBS' Miami affiliate, Trump was asked if he believes the First Amendment provides "too much protection."
Trump answered in the affirmative, saying he'd like to change the laws to make it easier to sue media companies. Trump lamented that, under current law, "our press is allowed to say whatever they want."
He recommended moving to a system like in England where someone who sues a media company has "a good chance of winning."

https://thinkprogress.org/trump-first-amendment-too-much-protection-37e72ee16ea2#.rnx9o287l

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Zanza on October 24, 2016, 09:19:03 PM
I find it surprising that statistics on early voting are published.  We have a complete information blackout until 6pm on election day.

They're not publishing the results, Blue Helmet.

alfred russel

for the election of our first 43 presidents, we had a different sort of blackout going on. it was lifted for 44.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

OttoVonBismarck

Yeah--early votes in every state I'm familiar with aren't even counted until election day, so there's no release of information by the elections officials (typically Secretary of State office.)

But here in America we have something called a strong freedom of speech, so pollsters are allowed to call and ask "have you already voted" and "if so, who did you vote for?" and then publish the results. I know some countries trend towards Holocausting when they don't restrict their speech more than is necessary here, so I'm sure in Germany such activity isn't legal.

Valmy

Quote from: Admiral Yi on October 24, 2016, 09:08:01 PM
Quote from: Valmy on October 24, 2016, 08:57:41 PM
Form? What form?

The form that they give you when you say you want to register to vote.  The one that says "Voter Registration Form" at the top.

I moved to a different county a few months ago and had to register again. There was no such box. And since we have open primaries there is no reason to have that box anyway.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Valmy on October 24, 2016, 09:48:28 PM
I moved to a different county a few months ago and had to register again. There was no such box. And since we have open primaries there is no reason to have that box anyway.

You're missing out on some valuable junk mail.

Ed Anger

Quote from: alfred russel on October 24, 2016, 09:30:55 PM

for the election of our first 43 presidents, we had a different sort of blackout going on. it was lifted for 44.

I laughed.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Admiral Yi

Quote from: OttoVonBismarck on October 24, 2016, 09:46:10 PM
Yeah--early votes in every state I'm familiar with aren't even counted until election day, so there's no release of information by the elections officials (typically Secretary of State office.)

But here in America we have something called a strong freedom of speech, so pollsters are allowed to call and ask "have you already voted" and "if so, who did you vote for?" and then publish the results. I know some countries trend towards Holocausting when they don't restrict their speech more than is necessary here, so I'm sure in Germany such activity isn't legal.

I'm pretty sure the numbers on early voting are being provided by state election officials and not estimated through polling.

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Zanza on October 24, 2016, 09:22:53 PM
[https://thinkprogress.org/trump-first-amendment-too-much-protection-37e72ee16ea2#.rnx9o287l

He's said the same or worse before.  His position on this is well-established.  As is the fact he couldn't give a crap about the constitution other than his new found interest in the Second Amendment. 

Just punishment for all the GOP hypocrites that endorsed him would be ridicule any time they talk about their commitment to strict constitutionalism.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Valmy

Quote from: Admiral Yi on October 24, 2016, 09:56:34 PM
Quote from: OttoVonBismarck on October 24, 2016, 09:46:10 PM

I'm pretty sure the numbers on early voting are being provided by state election officials and not estimated through polling.

Are the numbers of ballots being cast normal information to announce? Very odd.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Valmy on October 24, 2016, 10:40:47 PM

I have vague recollections of numbers of early ballots cast being anounced in prior years, but I don't recall this level of specificity (i.e. female Democrats).

Valmy

Quote from: Admiral Yi on October 24, 2016, 10:42:24 PM
Quote from: Valmy on October 24, 2016, 10:40:47 PM

I have vague recollections of numbers of early ballots cast being anounced in prior years, but I don't recall this level of specificity (i.e. female Democrats).

The female Democrat thing has to be exit polling.