2016 elections - because it's never too early

Started by merithyn, May 09, 2013, 07:37:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Viking

Quote from: derspiess on May 09, 2013, 08:48:10 AM
Quote from: Viking on May 09, 2013, 08:24:48 AM
none of them look good to me.

Of course not :lol:

Look, I am taking your list seriously. I'd hope you would take my response seriously. None of them look good as candidates. Bush and Christie would probably make good presidents and to the best of my knowledge are closer to me politically than Obama.

Quote from: derspiess on May 09, 2013, 08:48:10 AM
QuoteRick Santorum still polls better than all but Rubio, Bush and Christie.

That's not very meaningful yet.  Besides, Santorum has had the benefit of actually campaigning within fairly recent memory so that skews things a bit.

But I hope Santorum does the right thing and stays the hell out.  On top of his other baggage, giving the nom to the last primary's runner up just doesn't seem to be working too well :mellow:

I doubt Santorum will stay the hell out. He has too much to gain personally by being the representative of faith and truth against the corrupt party machine by running and failing. If he doesn't run he becomes irrellevant. As long as he can run with no expectation of success and overperform then he will continue running.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

derspiess

Quote from: Viking on May 09, 2013, 08:56:41 AM
Look, I am taking your list seriously. I'd hope you would take my response seriously. None of them look good as candidates. Bush and Christie would probably make good presidents and to the best of my knowledge are closer to me politically than Obama.

I just think you're letting your own bias get in the way.  Tea Party Taint isn't quite as strong a factor as you think it is, for example.

I doubt Santorum will stay the hell out. He has too much to gain personally by being the representative of faith and truth against the corrupt party machine by running and failing. If he doesn't run he becomes irrellevant. As long as he can run with no expectation of success and overperform then he will continue running.

You may be right on that.  Hopefully he can be persuaded/bought off somehow.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Viking

Quote from: derspiess on May 09, 2013, 09:01:39 AM
Quote from: Viking on May 09, 2013, 08:56:41 AM

I just think you're letting your own bias get in the way.  Tea Party Taint isn't quite as strong a factor as you think it is, for example.

The Taint I was referring to was the Bush Taint :contract:

Am I wrong in my understanding that the Tea Party Taint cost the Republicans up to 5 senate seats this last election?

You may be right on that.  Hopefully he can be persuaded/bought off somehow.

The problem here is that with his integrity schtick (well, I'm reasonably convinced he believes what he says, the schtick is about how he presents himself) he won't be able to be bought off once he starts running until his campaign is hopeless. In addition, just like with all blackmailers, he can only get his pay-off if he makes a reasonable show of running. Buying him off in the magic 20 seconds between his show of running being made credible and his campaign being real will cause me to be impressed if they manage it.

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

merithyn

I know that you'll disregard my thoughts on this, as well, but I think you're wrong there. I'm one of the middle-of-the-roaders who votes for the individual, not the party. Until about six years ago, I voted Republican almost as much as I voted Democrat.

That "Tea Party Taint" is pretty bad, imo.

And fwiw, despite what you might think, I'm not a die-hard Liberal Democrat. I do try to vote on the issues and the best options for the Nation as a whole. Sometimes, that's voting for Democrats. Sometimes that's voting for Republicans.

That being said, I'm inclined to agree with Berkut on how things have gone lately. There are some good Republicans who seem to be voting for the Nation rather than for their party, but you have to look hard to find them.
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

derspiess

Quote from: Viking on May 09, 2013, 09:13:56 AM
Am I wrong in my understanding that the Tea Party Taint cost the Republicans up to 5 senate seats this last election?

Yeah, probably.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

derspiess

Quote from: merithyn on May 09, 2013, 09:16:43 AM
I know that you'll disregard my thoughts on this, as well, but I think you're wrong there. I'm one of the middle-of-the-roaders who votes for the individual, not the party. Until about six years ago, I voted Republican almost as much as I voted Democrat.

That "Tea Party Taint" is pretty bad, imo.

And fwiw, despite what you might think, I'm not a die-hard Liberal Democrat. I do try to vote on the issues and the best options for the Nation as a whole. Sometimes, that's voting for Democrats. Sometimes that's voting for Republicans.

I can buy that you're more or less in the middle of the road.  I just wouldn't say you're a *typical* centrist.

merithyn

Quote from: derspiess on May 09, 2013, 09:21:07 AM

I can buy that you're more or less in the middle of the road.  I just wouldn't say you're a *typical* centrist.

I'm not even sure what that means. :huh:
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

Viking

Quote from: derspiess on May 09, 2013, 09:18:10 AM
Quote from: Viking on May 09, 2013, 09:13:56 AM

Yeah, probably.

Just Colorado, Nevada, Delaware and Indiana? So 4 then within the latest senate cycle.

derspiess

Quote from: Viking on May 09, 2013, 09:26:01 AM
Just Colorado, Nevada, Delaware and Indiana? So 4 then within the latest senate cycle.

I'll give you Delaware, but mind you that was 2010 when the Tea Party was pretty successful overall.

garbon

Quote from: merithyn on May 09, 2013, 08:30:55 AM
Quote from: garbon on May 09, 2013, 08:27:07 AM
Quote from: Berkut on May 09, 2013, 08:19:56 AM
Just like there was perfectly objective thought that resulted in hating what the Dems were doing during the Shrubbery's term.

And during the Pelosi-Reid connection.

I still struggle with not automatically disliking anything Pelosi does because of that whole mess.

:hug:
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

garbon

Quote from: merithyn on May 09, 2013, 09:23:27 AM
Quote from: derspiess on May 09, 2013, 09:21:07 AM

I'm not even sure what that means. :huh:

Who knows? He also told me that I like handout policies.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

garbon

Btw, as much as it pains me to say so, I pretty much agree with what Viking listed in his appraisals. I was also thinking that Scott Walker seems the best of that bunch which doesn't say much.

Neil

Tea Party Taint isn't quite as strong a factor as you think it is, for example.
Not in a Republican primary, but can you imagine a guy like Rand Paul running for President, and how poorly he would do?
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

katmai

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

Viking

Quote from: garbon on May 09, 2013, 10:21:03 AM
Btw, as much as it pains me to say so, I pretty much agree with what Viking listed in his appraisals. I was also thinking that Scott Walker seems the best of that bunch which doesn't say much.

Why does it pain you?