2016 elections - because it's never too early

Started by merithyn, May 09, 2013, 07:37:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

KRonn

Quote from: jimmy olsen on April 07, 2015, 07:17:00 PM
Don't think he'll get much further than his father.

I kind of think he'll go further than his father. It just seems that more people are receptive to what he's saying, given all the dysfunction and problems in government. VA, IRS, NSA, GSA, Secret Service, Homeboy Security, and more plus huge deficits. It's not a democrat or republican fault necessarily, just more people looking more critically at government now. Before with Ron Paul not as many people had such dissatisfaction towards government so saw him more as a fringe candidate.

crazy canuck

Quote from: derspiess on April 08, 2015, 09:20:07 AM
Also he supports the 2nd Amendment.

Please tell me his campaign didn't actually put that out.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: KRonn on April 08, 2015, 07:15:59 PM
I kind of think he'll go further than his father. It just seems that more people are receptive to what he's saying, given all the dysfunction and problems in government. VA, IRS, NSA, GSA, Secret Service, Homeboy Security, and more plus huge deficits. It's not a democrat or republican fault necessarily, just more people looking more critically at government now. Before with Ron Paul not as many people had such dissatisfaction towards government so saw him more as a fringe candidate.

Are these voters expecting Rand to improve the management of these agencies, so they deliver their services efficiently?

Eddie Teach

Quote from: crazy canuck on April 08, 2015, 07:33:00 PM

You haven't grokked that American voters love guns yet?  :huh:
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

KRonn

Quote from: Admiral Yi on April 08, 2015, 07:36:31 PM
Quote from: KRonn on April 08, 2015, 07:15:59 PM

Are these voters expecting Rand to improve the management of these agencies, so they deliver their services efficiently?

I think they're looking at him  for the same reasons they liked his father. I'm not expert on the Pauls but they talk of smaller government, more accountable, disbanding some agencies, less involvement around the world but Rand is more hawkish than Ron. That's my take anyway. I just think the main thing is that people are more dissatisfied with how government is running and Rand speaks to that. The same way that Obama spoke to the kinds of changes he supported and people voted for that.

Razgovory

Quote from: derspiess on April 08, 2015, 09:20:07 AM
Also he supports the 2nd Amendment.

Looks like he's going to rob a bank in a Tarantino film.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Habbaku

The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Admiral Yi

Quote from: KRonn on April 08, 2015, 08:20:17 PM
I think they're looking at him  for the same reasons they liked his father. I'm not expert on the Pauls but they talk of smaller government, more accountable, disbanding some agencies, less involvement around the world but Rand is more hawkish than Ron. That's my take anyway. I just think the main thing is that people are more dissatisfied with how government is running and Rand speaks to that. The same way that Obama spoke to the kinds of changes he supported and people voted for that.

Sure.  The part i don't get is how the problems at the Secret Service and the VA, for example, play into Rand's message.  Are there people who think the appropriate response is to downsize or eliminate the Secret Service or the VA?

Razgovory

Quote from: Habbaku on April 08, 2015, 08:49:22 PM
Gotta balance the budget somehow.

Huh.  Maybe we've going about this the wrong way.  If we want Republican support for higher tax on the wealthy, perhaps we should give the IRS more firepower.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

KRonn

Quote from: Admiral Yi on April 08, 2015, 08:54:00 PM
Quote from: KRonn on April 08, 2015, 08:20:17 PM

Sure.  The part i don't get is how the problems at the Secret Service and the VA, for example, play into Rand's message.  Are there people who think the appropriate response is to downsize or eliminate the Secret Service or the VA?
Downsize isn't the only fix. Many of these agencies are a mess, there have been so many scandals and problems that fixes are needed. Recently the Inspectors General of over forty agencies signed a letter that they're unable to do their jobs. That's unprecedented. The attitude of the way government runs needs to be addressed, not just downsize. That to me is what Paul talks about, part of his theme anyway.

I'm not pushing for Paul but I think parts of his message will resonate with voters quite well. That said, I don't expect he has a leg up or something to get the nomination.

DGuller

I'm not sure that having a segment of the population thinking that government is a mess is all that new.  I imagine that there were plenty of people bellyaching about it at all times for the last 230 years.  And to some extent, the reason some government agencies are dysfunctional is because they're being intentionally sabotaged by the people claiming that the government is dysfunctional, though these people have neither the intelligence nor the intellectual honesty to see that connection.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on April 08, 2015, 07:42:28 PM

You haven't grokked that American voters love guns yet?  :huh:

I hadn't realized that they also want their politicians to look like gangsters.

derspiess

I pulled it from some gun forum and haven't seen it anywhere else, so I'm guessing it's not from his campaign.

You can however purchase Rand Paul flip-flops and this cool eye chart from his campaign store:

"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall