2016 elections - because it's never too early

Started by merithyn, May 09, 2013, 07:37:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Razgovory

Quote from: derspiess on March 24, 2015, 08:26:28 AM
My Latina wife thinks we should support Ted Cruz in the primary.  Walker's my guy at the moment but officially I have to support Cruz because he's the only major candidate who has declared.

Can you really trust a man who has so totally forsaken the nation of his birth and issued a grave insult to our close ally?
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Valmy

Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

derspiess

Quote from: Razgovory on March 24, 2015, 08:42:26 AM
Quote from: derspiess on March 24, 2015, 08:26:28 AM
My Latina wife thinks we should support Ted Cruz in the primary.  Walker's my guy at the moment but officially I have to support Cruz because he's the only major candidate who has declared.

Can you really trust a man who has so totally forsaken the nation of his birth and issued a grave insult to our close ally?

I trust Obama.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Razgovory

Nice try.  I did watch some Skips friends try to work out how Ted Cruz was different from Obama on the birther issue.  Answer:  Obama's mother was a communist.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

derspiess

She was a weird bird, but Obama and Cruz are both legit citizens.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

viper37

A question about that natural born citizen thing.

Historically speaking, the son of a Texan settler, before it integrated the US, or say, French citizens before the purchase of Louisianna, were they automatically considered US citizens at the time of annexation?  And the child of a natural born citizen who does not claim its US citizenship, will his children have a future claim to citizenship?
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: viper37 on March 24, 2015, 10:16:29 AM
And the child of a natural born citizen who does not claim its US citizenship, will his children have a future claim to citizenship?

I think someone recently posted an article which mentioned a guy who claimed citizenship late in life.

dps

Historically speaking, the son of a Texan settler, before it integrated the US, or say, French citizens before the purchase of Louisianna, were they automatically considered US citizens at the time of annexation?

I'm not sure that there was a general rule.  I know that in the cases of Florida and Alaska, Spanish and Russian citizens, respectively, had to either leave within a year or become US citizens.  They wouldn't have been considered natural born, though, I don't think, but AFAIK, the issue never came before the courts.  With Texas, I'm almost certain that Texas citizens automatically became US citizens, but I'm not 100% sure about their natural born status, and again, I'm not aware of any case law on the matter.  Not sure about other annexations, but I think in most cases, residents of the annexed area automatically became US citizens (or at least US nationals).

QuoteAnd the child of a natural born citizen who does not claim its US citizenship, will his children have a future claim to citizenship?

I don't know.  I'd guess "no", but it's just a guess.

viper37

Quote from: Admiral Yi on March 24, 2015, 10:24:34 AM
And the child of a natural born citizen who does not claim its US citizenship, will his children have a future claim to citizenship?

I think someone recently posted an article which mentioned a guy who claimed citizenship late in life.
Let's go more specific than that:
Situation 1:
Woman, let's call her Martha, born in the US, from Canadian parents.  In her 50s, she decides to claim her US citizenship.  By now, she has 3 children, all born in Canada from Canadian parents.  Are her children eligible for US citizenship after she claims hers?

Situation 2:
Woman, let's call her Martha, born in the US, from Canadian parents.  In her 50s, she dies, without evern claiming her US citizenship.  By now, she hads 3 children, all born in Canada from Canadian parents.  Are her children eligible for US citizenship?

Situation 3:
Woman, let's call her Martha, born in Texas, from Mexican parents, c.a 1820.  In 1839 she gives birth to her first child.  Following the war of 1845, is the child a natural born citizen of the United States that could become a US President or will only the grandkid be eligible?

Situation 4:
Woman, let's call her Martha, born in Texas, from American parents who never were Amerian citizens themselves (only the grandparents of Martha were citizens), c.a 1820.  In 1839 she gives birth to her first child.  Following the war of 1845, is Martha considered a natural born citizen herself?
Is the child a natural born citizen of the United States that could become a US President or will only the grandkid be eligible? 

Situation 5:
Woman, let's call her Anne-Marie, born in New Orleans, from French parents who never were Amerian citizens themselves , c.a 1820.  In 1839 she gives birth to her first child.  Following the war of 1845, is Martha considered a natural born citizen herself?  Is the child a natural born citizen of the United States that could become a US President or will only the grandkid be eligible? 

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

viper37

Quote from: dps on March 24, 2015, 12:54:33 PM

Historically speaking, the son of a Texan settler, before it integrated the US, or say, French citizens before the purchase of Louisianna, were they automatically considered US citizens at the time of annexation?

I'm not sure that there was a general rule.  I know that in the cases of Florida and Alaska, Spanish and Russian citizens, respectively, had to either leave within a year or become US citizens.  They wouldn't have been considered natural born, though, I don't think, but AFAIK, the issue never came before the courts.  With Texas, I'm almost certain that Texas citizens automatically became US citizens, but I'm not 100% sure about their natural born status, and again, I'm not aware of any case law on the matter.  Not sure about other annexations, but I think in most cases, residents of the annexed area automatically became US citizens (or at least US nationals).

QuoteAnd the child of a natural born citizen who does not claim its US citizenship, will his children have a future claim to citizenship?

I don't know.  I'd guess "no", but it's just a guess.
ok, that answers my questions, there does not seem to be any "right of blood" for the US.  Thank you dps :)

crazy canuck

Quote from: dps on March 23, 2015, 07:43:37 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on March 23, 2015, 04:51:56 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on March 23, 2015, 03:01:23 PM
Quote from: Peter Wiggin on March 23, 2015, 02:59:55 PM
Not enough time to pass an amendment allowing Brits to be eligible, sorry.

How did the first American presidents overcome that problem?

Bump.

Was the requirement of being born an American added at some later date?

Here's the relevant language from the Constitution:

"No Person except a natural born Citizen, or a Citizen of the United States, at the time of the Adoption of this Constitution, shall be eligible to the Office of President; neither shall any person be eligible to that Office who shall not have attained to the Age of thirty five Years, and been fourteen Years a Resident within the United States."

Basically, they got grandfathered in.  Note that people who weren't born in areas that became part of the US, but who were US citizens at the time the Constitution was adopted, would have been eligible.  Someone like Alexander Hamilton, who was born in Bermuda IIRC (or was it the Bahamas?  Anyway, somewhere on some British-controlled island) could have become President.

thanks dps

Eddie Teach

Quote from: viper37 on March 24, 2015, 01:03:04 PM
Situation 3:
Woman, let's call her Martha, born in Texas, from Mexican parents, c.a 1820. 

More likely Marta.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

viper37

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on March 24, 2015, 01:50:44 PM
Situation 3:
Woman, let's call her Martha, born in Texas, from Mexican parents, c.a 1820. 

More likely Marta.
they were anglophiles :P

grumbler

Let's go more specific than that:
Situation 1:
Woman, let's call her Martha, born in the US, from Canadian parents.  In her 50s, she decides to claim her US citizenship.  By now, she has 3 children, all born in Canada from Canadian parents.  Are her children eligible for US citizenship after she claims hers?

One is a citizen by birth from birth.  One doesn't need to "claim" citizenship to possess it.  Her children are not citizens unless she has spent ten years of her life (five after age five) in the US (or, more recently, I think only 5 years, 2 after the age of five).

QuoteSituation 2:
Woman, let's call her Martha, born in the US, from Canadian parents.  In her 50s, she dies, without evern claiming her US citizenship.  By now, she hads 3 children, all born in Canada from Canadian parents.  Are her children eligible for US citizenship?

Same answer as above.  She had citizenship but doesn't pass it on unless she satisfied US residency requirements.

QuoteSituation 3:
Woman, let's call her Martha, born in Texas, from Mexican parents, c.a 1820.  In 1839 she gives birth to her first child.  Following the war of 1845, is the child a natural born citizen of the United States that could become a US President or will only the grandkid be eligible?

Both Martha and her children are natural-born citizens, as far as I can make out.  This is one of the "retroactive" clauses of the concept of "natural-born," much like the one allowing people who were citizens at the time of ratification.  I can't find evidence that it's ever been tested, though.

QuoteSituation 4:
Woman, let's call her Martha, born in Texas, from American parents who never were Amerian citizens themselves (only the grandparents of Martha were citizens), c.a 1820.  In 1839 she gives birth to her first child.  Following the war of 1845, is Martha considered a natural born citizen herself?
Is the child a natural born citizen of the United States that could become a US President or will only the grandkid be eligible? 

I'm not sure how you get this case.  How can Martha's grandparents be citizens but her parents not be?

QuoteSituation 5:
Woman, let's call her Anne-Marie, born in New Orleans, from French parents who never were Amerian citizens themselves , c.a 1820.  In 1839 she gives birth to her first child.  Following the war of 1845, is Martha considered a natural born citizen herself?  Is the child a natural born citizen of the United States that could become a US President or will only the grandkid be eligible? 

Anne-Marie is a natural-born US citizen from the moment of her birth on US soil.  Her child is or is not a citizen depending on the nationality of the father (yes, if the father is a US citizen, only if Anne-Marie satisfied the residency requirements if he was not). 
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Caliga

Rand Paul just threw his hat in the ring.... because running the Senate just isn't enough for Kentucky Y'ALL. :showoff:
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points