News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Tech rant

Started by DontSayBanana, April 29, 2013, 08:38:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DontSayBanana

Patching up a virus-ridden laptop.  Sucker BSODs any time I try to remove infected files or install countermeasures.  Finally give up to go the clean install route, and the sucker's modified the MBR so I can't format the Windows partition.

Just waiting for DBAN to do its dirty work right now.  This has got to be one of the most annoying cleanup jobs I've ever had. <_<
Experience bij!

Grey Fox

Now that's alot of BS to deal with.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

DontSayBanana

Finally got the drive wiped, now installing Windows is failing at "expanding windows files."

Also, it gets better.  It turns out Asus laptops have incredibly crappy power sockets.  At first, I thought the jack on the brick's side was bad- turns out the socket's managed to work itself loose.  The socket which is soldered in five places to the motherboard.

This is truly the repair job from hell.
Experience bij!

Darth Wagtaros

Do it Shame.  You know you want to.
PDH!

DontSayBanana

Quote from: Darth Wagtaros on May 04, 2013, 03:12:25 PM
Do it Shame.  You know you want to.

Do what?  Take a sledgehammer to this stickered-up brick? :lol:

Anyway, I've got it working enough for my purposes and theirs.  The jack's not totally disconnected, so generally working the plug in as a spiral gets it a stable enough connection to put on the table without it losing contact.  Windows is reinstalled, craptacular Norton Security Scan has been replaced with Microsoft Security Essentials, and I switched the default browser to Chrome+AdBlock Plus (she was already using Chrome, and ABP is the quickest way to avoid trap links with a client who can't tell the difference between a real installer and a sidebar ad banner).
Experience bij!

sbr

I heard the most recent reviews had MSE as the worst of the free AV options, and by a big margin IIRC.

I'll see if I can find a source.

EDIT:  Found it.  The actual article has some links that provide more info.

http://www.techspot.com/news/50945-microsoft-security-essentials-bombs-tests-loses-av-test-certificate.html

QuoteMicrosoft Security Essentials was the only entry to fail AV-Test's certification between September and October -- an embarrasing slip for the once well-regarded virus protection solution. MSSE received a total of 10.5 out of 18 possible points, most notably falling short in zero-day malware attacks. As a point of reference, 11 points are required to receive certification. The fallen AV only received 1.5 out of 6.0 for system protection, but fared better when it came to repairing infections and usability: 3.5 and 5.5 out of 6.0, respectively.

Thankfully, other free alternatives performed better: Avast (14 points) edged out AVG (12.5 points) and Avira (12 points), receiving above-average marks all-around. Meanwhile, Bitdefender topped payware offerings, netting an almost perfect score of 17 points.

If you're somehow not familiar with it, MSSE is Microsoft's nag-free, no-cost anti-virus solution for Windows XP, Vista and 7 owners. Although Windows 8 users can't install MSSE, the utility essentially comes integrated into the OS -- it's simply disguised as "Windows Defender".

AV-Test is an independent German organization who, amongst other things, rates anti-virus utilities based on various metrics about every two months. AV-Test's certification is by no means an industry requirement, but their test results have served as a standardized way to benchmark anti-virus programs for years.

Similarly, AV Comparatives is another firm who offers their own, indepedent anti-virus grading service. After recalling MSSE scoring very high marks with AV Comparatives back in 2009, I checked out the site's latest tests to get a second opinion. Curiously though, MSSE has been missing from tests at AV Comparatives since 2010. Looks like we'll have to take AV-Test's word on this one.

DontSayBanana

Well, damn.  Looks like I'm going to (for problem children, at least) see about configuring Avast with a minimum of pop-up intrusions.  Adblock's gotten most of my people away from vectors of the really nasty stuff, especially coupled with Google's policy of notifying about malware detections now.

But there's nothing I love more than 5 phone calls in a week asking whether they should allow or deny. :lol:
Experience bij!

MadBurgerMaker

Welp.  Installing Avast now. 

Darth Wagtaros

WHAT THE FUCK.
FUCKING MS.

Speaking of, Shame, how is Kain doing?

PDH!

DontSayBanana

New job: looks like a basic screen replacement on an HP G6.  No image on startup.  Customer's already purchased a replacement screen but doesn't feel comfortable replacing it.  I drop the new screen in.

Still nothing.

I get a bad feeling, so I take it and hook up the external VGA.  Nothing.  Damn.  Either the GPU's fried, or the whole motherboard is.  This being the laptop, it's the same expensive fix.  My verdict: not salvageable.

Moral of the story?  Get the tech to diagnose the actual issue before buying replacement parts. :sigh:
Experience bij!

Darth Wagtaros

You need to join the military.
PDH!