So anybody upgrading to Windows 8?

Started by Barrister, October 25, 2012, 04:45:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ulmont

Quote from: Grey Fox on February 01, 2013, 10:14:08 PM
Start8 was recommended before in this thread but it's paid software. Classic Shell is awesome Open source alternative.

A whole $5.  :bleeding:

viper37

I upgrade the laptop to Windows 8 before giving it to my girlfriend.  She likes the Windows 8 interface better, even though I installed Start8.

Once you get used to it, it's a nice way to access the most commonly used programs on your computer.  However, for a power user like me, I really, really need the classic shell to access the rest of the softwares.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

KRonn

Quote from: Grey Fox on January 31, 2013, 03:07:41 PM
Get Win 7. You'll be amazed over Vista.

I've had my new computer for about a month now. I did go with Win 7 which I do like a lot. Dell XPS 8500, AMD 2GB Video card 7870 I think is the model#, not a top line card but solid mid range, and much faster than my 5 year old technology card.

SSD 256 GB hard drive (C:drive) that the operating system is on. Man, is that nice! So fast running Internet and the operating system programs. System boots up in 30 seconds, shuts down in 10 seconds. Cost me about $200 for the SSD but well worth it.

2TB hard drive in addition to the SSD.

Grey Fox

Colonel Caliga is Awesome.