Gray hair cure? Scientists find root cause of discoloration

Started by jimmy olsen, May 06, 2013, 08:39:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jimmy olsen

Now if only they could find a cure for hair loss. <_<

http://bodyodd.nbcnews.com/_news/2013/05/06/18088677-gray-hair-cure-scientists-find-root-cause-of-discoloration?lite

QuoteGray hair cure? Scientists find root cause of discoloration

By Marc Lallanilla, LiveScience

Gray hair — one of the classic signs of aging that can lead to a midlife crisis — may some day be a thing of the past, much to the chagrin of hair-dye manufacturers and Corvette salesmen.

A team of European researchers claims to have found not only the root cause of gray hair, but also a treatment for the condition. Additionally, their treatment may help people with vitiligo, a condition that causes the loss of pigment in patches of skin, they say.
Advertise | AdChoices

It's been known for years that hair turns gray due to a natural buildup of hydrogen peroxide in hair follicles, which causes oxidative stress and graying. (Hydrogen peroxide solutions have been used for years as a cheap and easy way to "go blonde.")

In younger people, an enzyme called catalase breaks down hydrogen peroxide into water and oxygen. But lower levels of this enzyme, combined with lower levels of enzymes called MSR A and B that repair hydrogen peroxide damage, cause hair to turn gray as we age.

The researchers, whose findings are published in the experimental-biology publication FASEB Journal, analyzed 2,411 people with vitiligo.

By looking at people with two different kinds of vitiligo — strictly segmental vitiligo (SSV) and non-segmental vitiligo (NSV) — they discovered that both kinds resulted from oxidative stress.

And by applying a topical treatment, a substance called PC-KUS, the researchers successfully treated the discolored skin and eyelashes of people with vitiligo.

Though gray hair isn't always a welcome sign of aging, there's some evidence that suggests it can be an indicator of good health.

Researchers in 2012 found that wild boars with significant graying hair "were actually those in prime condition and with the lowest levels of oxidative damage," researcher Ismael Galván of the Museo Nacional de Ciencias Naturales in Spain said in a statement.

"Far from being a sign of age-related decline, hair graying seems to indicate good condition in wild boars," Galván said.

Nonetheless, many people will go to extreme lengths to hide any hint of aging, including gray hair.

"For generations, numerous remedies have been concocted to hide gray hair," Dr. Gerald Weissmann, editor-in-chief of FASEB Journal, said in a statement. "But now, for the first time, an actual treatment that gets to the root of the problem has been developed."

The treatment will be welcome news to people with severe or unsightly cases of vitiligo. "This condition, while technically cosmetic, can have serious socio-emotional effects," Weissmann said. "Developing an effective treatment ... has the potential to radically improve many people's lives."
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

CountDeMoney

My gray in my goatee is starting to look cool as it fills out.  It's all Bolshevikish.

Hair loss :nelson:

HVC

If you can't afford rogaine, Tim, you won't be able to afford whatever else they come up with.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Phillip V

Ed Anger

Quote from: CountDeMoney on May 06, 2013, 08:43:02 PM
My gray in my goatee is starting to look cool as it fills out.  It's all Bolshevikish.

Young chicks dig the gray. And scars.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

HVC

Quote from: Ed Anger on May 06, 2013, 08:46:20 PM

sure it's the grey and the scars and not the money :P
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".

Ed Anger

Quote from: HVC on May 06, 2013, 08:47:51 PM

Yeah, that jeep Cherokee gets the chicks.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

HVC

Quote from: Ed Anger on May 06, 2013, 08:50:45 PM
Quote from: HVC on May 06, 2013, 08:47:51 PM

Yeah, that jeep Cherokee gets the chicks.
:D

Since I got a good paying job something's have changed. It was kind of weird actually :lol:

CountDeMoney

Quote from: HVC on May 06, 2013, 08:52:52 PM
Since I got a good paying job something's have changed. It was kind of weird actually :lol:

Imagine that.

HVC

Quote from: CountDeMoney on May 06, 2013, 08:54:07 PM
Quote from: HVC on May 06, 2013, 08:52:52 PM

Imagine that.
i know. You'd think there would be a stereotype about that or something...

:P

crazy canuck

QuoteThough gray hair isn't always a welcome sign of aging, there's some evidence that suggests it can be an indicator of good health.

I rock!

derspiess

My wife told me a long time ago that she kinda liked a little gray hair but that I "better not go bald".  I'm doing okay on both fronts so far-- hairline has moved back slightly but I'm doing better than most of my friends.  Hopefully my 40s will be kind to me :unsure:
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

CountDeMoney

With that forehead, how would you tell?  OH SNAP NYUK   :P

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

CountDeMoney