News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Certifications

Started by Darth Wagtaros, May 06, 2013, 06:13:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Caliga

Quote from: Darth Wagtaros on July 30, 2014, 05:34:39 PM
I've heard that it is a nightmare. I was looking into some of the lower level Project Management certs, but they don't seem to be worth the effort as they have little weight in most industry. 
They're not.  Nobody cares about them at all.
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Darth Wagtaros on July 30, 2014, 05:34:39 PM
Need to carve a nitch out for myself.

I did.  Unfortunately, it was analog.

Norgy

Quote from: CountDeMoney on December 16, 2013, 07:02:34 AM
Everybody's like, ZOMG U HAFF TO GO INTO CYBERSECURITY THATS WHERE ALL THE JOBS IS, but I can't seem to figure out which ones didn't require a baseline of compu-knowledge that comes with a BA in Computer Science, or years of working in it.

What's the best kind of IT cert for non-IT pipple, i.e., not a language freak or Zuckerman script kiddie?  Network shit?  Hardware stuff?  Forensics?

I was considering something along these lines not all that long ago. I found that if you want some sort of useful certification, that BA pretty much is required. All I had was classes in Java (that's really great for security, innit), web development and web design. No certification for me.

Computer forensics, I understand, takes quite extensive knowledge. But how good are these people at normal, physical security? The IT sector will always need sub-contractors for other stuff. Even if it's just writing comprehensible pieces of sentences strung together.

Darth Wagtaros

Physical security is part of high level security certs.  Even if it is knowing what to take into account and what works and doesn't work. 
PDH!

Phillip V

Quote from: Phillip V on July 25, 2014, 10:44:00 PM
I am currently studying for the Project Management Professional (PMP) certification. My company's President gave me a 2-month deadline. :(
Fuck the deadline. Company is going ahead and moving me to a Project Manager position end of next week. :o

Darth Wagtaros

Quote from: Phillip V on August 19, 2014, 06:56:42 PM
Quote from: Phillip V on July 25, 2014, 10:44:00 PM
I am currently studying for the Project Management Professional (PMP) certification. My company's President gave me a 2-month deadline. :(
Fuck the deadline. Company is going ahead and moving me to a Project Manager position end of next week. :o
Uh... yays?
PDH!

Vricklund

A project manager that doesn't give a fuck about deadlines. I foresee an upcoming conflict.  :hmm:

Baron von Schtinkenbutt

Quote from: CountDeMoney on December 16, 2013, 07:02:34 AM
Everybody's like, ZOMG U HAFF TO GO INTO CYBERSECURITY THATS WHERE ALL THE JOBS IS, but I can't seem to figure out which ones didn't require a baseline of compu-knowledge that comes with a BA in Computer Science, or years of working in it.

Unfortunately, that is the nature of the industry[1].  Companies want consultants who understand the guts of hardware and software security flaws.  You can't build an effective, comprehensive security plan without it.

[1] At least the jobs that aren't cushy payola for well-connected people.

Darth Wagtaros

MCSA prep.  Tech Net is tens of thousands of pages of drek.  ANy one of which could find its way into a question.  FUCK.
PDH!

Phillip V

Quote from: Darth Wagtaros on September 17, 2014, 08:05:25 PM
MCSA prep.  Tech Net is tens of thousands of pages of drek.  ANy one of which could find its way into a question.  FUCK.
Just go get a brain dump...

Darth Wagtaros

Quote from: Phillip V on September 19, 2014, 08:59:10 PM
Quote from: Darth Wagtaros on September 17, 2014, 08:05:25 PM
Just go get a brain dump...
I don't think those work for modern MS exams. 

PDH!

Josquius

My work may be paying for me to get some training in.
SAP is the one that was forefront of my mind but I've heard mutterings of Salesforce as the up and comer which is low on qualified people...though it relies on something called Apex which seems much too close to Java for my liking.
Anyone got any experience in this area?
██████
██████
██████

MadImmortalMan

We need to start rebelling against the certs. It's getting to be like bad college debt now. Certified ethical hacker? WTF is this nonsense anyway?
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Darth Wagtaros

PDH!

CountDeMoney

Too late.  Industries feed themselves.