News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Certifications

Started by Darth Wagtaros, May 06, 2013, 06:13:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MadImmortalMan

I'm nuts and wouldn't hire any of you assholes based on your cert scores.

But I might be the only one left.

Good luck chaps.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

CountDeMoney

Everybody's like, ZOMG U HAFF TO GO INTO CYBERSECURITY THATS WHERE ALL THE JOBS IS, but I can't seem to figure out which ones didn't require a baseline of compu-knowledge that comes with a BA in Computer Science, or years of working in it.

What's the best kind of IT cert for non-IT pipple, i.e., not a language freak or Zuckerman script kiddie?  Network shit?  Hardware stuff?  Forensics?

Grey Fox

From my position, I'd say Network shit but even there you'll need to learn some basic script writing.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

CountDeMoney

My problem is, since all my IT experience has revolved around physical security integration, I only know how that particular technology descends into IT, such as IP stuff, server architecture, etc.;  it's all from a top-down perspective. I don't really know anything more than that. 

So, when somebody says ZOMG U HAFF TO GO INTO CYBERSECURITY, I'm pretty sure I don't have the tools to do so.  I look at some of these certs and what's involved, and I don't know what the hell most of it is. CompTIA? TIA+?  Plus what?  WTF?

Eddie Teach

I have a CompTIA Security+ cert. Can I has job?
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Darth Wagtaros

Its mostly just a bunch of crap so the Caligas and their industry collaborators can make money off of us. 
PDH!

Darth Wagtaros

Quote from: CountDeMoney on December 16, 2013, 08:19:35 AM
it's all from a top-down perspective. I don't really know anything more than that. 

Sounds like you'd be good at management then.

There are 6 class certificate programs offered at colleges and universities. You might be better off taking a networking program and then an information security program.
PDH!

Phillip V

Here is a recent 2137-question practice for CISSP :  http://www.examcollection.com/isc/ISC.Actualtests.CISSP.v2014-04-15.by.AMBER.2137q.vce.file.html

Valid?

BTW, I became a NetApp Certified Data Management Administrator (NCDA) last month. :D

DontSayBanana

Quote from: Phillip V on May 06, 2014, 08:15:06 PM
Here is a recent 2137-question practice for CISSP :  http://www.examcollection.com/isc/ISC.Actualtests.CISSP.v2014-04-15.by.AMBER.2137q.vce.file.html

Valid?

BTW, I became a NetApp Certified Data Management Administrator (NCDA) last month. :D

Now, if only Google could provide the 3 years of in-field experience necessary for CISSP. ;)
Experience bij!

Darth Wagtaros

Passed VCP.  On to MCSA. And maybe the VCP-View.
PDH!

Phillip V

I am currently studying for the Project Management Professional (PMP) certification. My company's President gave me a 2-month deadline. :(

CountDeMoney

Yeah, I looked into that one, as you can't get a PM job without any certs.  $1700 for the cert course.  I would've pursued it while I was employed, but I was TOO BUSY FUCKING MANAGING PROJECTS.

Darth Wagtaros

That would be a good one to have.
PDH!

Caliga

Quote from: Darth Wagtaros on July 26, 2014, 10:12:38 AM
That would be a good one to have.
Agree.  Unfortunately I'm in the same boat now that Money was in earlier.  I've taken the mandatory training and have way more than the minimum required PM experience, but no time to study and actually pass the damn exam.
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Darth Wagtaros

I've heard that it is a nightmare. I was looking into some of the lower level Project Management certs, but they don't seem to be worth the effort as they have little weight in most industry. 

I'm on to MCSA and VCP-Desktop. Most of our stuff will be moving into a big central cloud at another campus, but we are keeping the virtual desktop stuff local.  Need to carve a nitch out for myself.
PDH!