Hey kids - text your parents pretending to be a drug dealer!

Started by Barrister, April 26, 2013, 11:56:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

alfred russel

The problem with pranking your parents like this--what if you can't convince them it was a prank?
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Iormlund

Quote from: garbon on April 26, 2013, 02:15:56 PM
I don't know. There's a difference between talking about what friends do who use drugs and providing proof that you are personally selling or buying drugs.

It's a matter of trust. We were very graphic and open about what in most families is a taboo topic. Our parents knew perfectly well what we did and didn't do. And just in case we provided ample descriptions of how to spot someone who was using.

It was also great fun to hear the alarm and condemnation from our scandalized guests, high on their horses, only to find their children high on E at a club afterwards. :lol:

crazy canuck

Quote from: Iormlund on April 26, 2013, 02:29:01 PM
I don't know. There's a difference between talking about what friends do who use drugs and providing proof that you are personally selling or buying drugs.

It's a matter of trust. We were very graphic and open about what in most families is a taboo topic. Our parents knew perfectly well what we did and didn't do. And just in case we provided ample descriptions of how to spot someone who was using.

It was also great fun to hear the alarm and condemnation from our scandalized guests, high on their horses, only to find their children high on E at a club afterwards. :lol:

Yeah, if my boys ever said they didnt know kids who used drugs I would definitely get concerned because I would know they were lying and then my trust in them would be tested considerably.

One of the funniest/best bonding times, I had with my oldest is after he came home from the senior prom (he was invited by a girl in grade 12 but that is another story).  He was badly hung over the next day.  The conversation went something like, "Dad, you were right, I should have stuck with one kind of drink but I drank x and y and z and..." well you get the picture.   Then he went on to describe the drugs that some of the kids were doing and the strategies he used to avoid it.

It was a good talk.  I think that parents miss out if they cant talk about stuff like this with their kids.  I also think kids are put in danger if they cant talk to their parents about stuff like this.

derspiess

Quote from: alfred russel on April 26, 2013, 02:21:07 PM
The problem with pranking your parents like this--what if you can't convince them it was a prank?

Well it helps to show them a website where a ton of other people did it around the same day.  Without that, yeah it could sorta backfire.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

merithyn

Quote from: derspiess on April 26, 2013, 02:38:12 PM

Well it helps to show them a website where a ton of other people did it around the same day.  Without that, yeah it could sorta backfire.

That's what I had to do with Carter to convince him that I was joking.  :blush:
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

derspiess

Quote from: merithyn on April 26, 2013, 02:54:59 PM

:lol:  Awesome.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

PRC

Barrister

Quote from: merithyn on April 26, 2013, 02:54:59 PM

Tell us more!  :D
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

garbon

Quote from: Iormlund on April 26, 2013, 02:29:01 PM

Sure I mean I was pretty open with my parents too. That doesn't mean I wouldn't get a stern talking to (even today!) if I sent a text like this where they assumed it meant I was dealing.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

garbon

Quote from: Malthus on April 26, 2013, 02:19:36 PM
Not seeing this as particularly funny.  :huh:

Either the parents are okay with drug use and it is no big deal, they are oblivious about drug use and it sails over their heads, or they are not okay about drug use and not oblivious and it makes them concerned and upset.

None of those reactions are exactly going to be a laff riot.

It does seem like practical jokes are a thing that both you and Dgul don't get.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Malthus

Quote from: garbon on April 26, 2013, 04:31:40 PM

Either the parents are okay with drug use and it is no big deal, they are oblivious about drug use and it sails over their heads, or they are not okay about drug use and not oblivious and it makes them concerned and upset.

I guess not, because this one doesn't seem particularly "funny".

Ha, ha mom, thought I was selling drugs, jokes on you!
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

garbon

Quote from: Malthus on April 26, 2013, 04:41:33 PM

Again though I don't see how that's different from other practical jokes.  Things like this are the whole premise of shows like Candid Camera.

Barrister

The joke depends on the response garnered.  Some are obviously funnier than others.  The second row shows the parent responding "correctly" - the parent firmly asks for clarification.  But even then the "$40 for 2 grams of sugar... in Dubai." is still funny.

So is the "grammar books" comment - followed by an offer of more money!

Plus of course the expected-but-still-funny wild over-reaction like "YOU'RE GOING TO REHAB WE'RE COMING TO PICK YOU UP RIGHT NOW".

Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

dps

Quote from: Barrister on April 26, 2013, 04:51:53 PM

The joke depends on the response garnered.  Some are obviously funnier than others.  The second row shows the parent responding "correctly" - the parent firmly asks for clarification.  But even then the "$40 for 2 grams of sugar... in Dubai." is still funny.

So is the "grammar books" comment - followed by an offer of more money!

Plus of course the expected-but-still-funny wild over-reaction like "YOU'RE GOING TO REHAB WE'RE COMING TO PICK YOU UP RIGHT NOW".

Gotta love the mom who texted, "I'm not fucking stupid" and the kid texted back, "That's debatable" and her reply was, "Say goodbye to college".  Kid's a dumbass.  I mean, actually trying this prank is dumb enough, but "That's debatable" takes it to a whole different level.

Quote from: garbonSure I mean I was pretty open with my parents too. That doesn't mean I wouldn't get a stern talking to (even today!) if I sent a text like this where they assumed it meant I was dealing.

Yeah, I suspect that there are plenty of parents nowdays who would be OK with their kid partaking of a bit of recreational drug use, but wouldn't be OK with the kid actually dealing.

My mom, I don't think, would have a clue what the text meant.

Malthus

Quote from: garbon on April 26, 2013, 04:48:29 PM

Again though I don't see how that's different from other practical jokes.  Things like this are the whole premise of shows like Candid Camera.

Perhaps because it is dismally banal.

The prank with the "ghost" of the little girl showing up in an elevator? That was very cruel, but also funny, because the situation was so very bizzare.

A prank in which a kid "accidentally" reveals to his parents he's dealing? Not so much, because in fact lots of kids do deal drugs to each other all the time. 
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius