Newspaper reporter ranked worst job in the U.S.

Started by Josephus, April 24, 2013, 08:35:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Caliga

Dude, taking someone out for crab in Bawlmer is a fucking compliment.  The crab there is the shiznit. :cool:
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

derspiess

Quote from: Caliga on April 24, 2013, 11:15:31 AM
Dude, taking someone out for crab in Bawlmer is a fucking compliment.  The crab there is the shiznit. :cool:

Yep.  May depend on the place, though.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

garbon

Quote from: Caliga on April 24, 2013, 11:15:31 AM

We weren't in Baltimore. We were in the suburbs.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Martinus

This list seems pretty bogus - a paralegal is ranked much higher than an attorney.  :homestar:

fhdz

Quote from: Martinus on April 24, 2013, 11:32:26 AM
This list seems pretty bogus - a paralegal is ranked much higher than an attorney.  :homestar:

Less responsibility, less stress. Paycheck isn't everything.
and the horse you rode in on

Caliga

Quote from: garbon on April 24, 2013, 11:26:54 AM
We weren't in Baltimore. We were in the suburbs.
:hmm:  I've had plenty of crab in Murrland but come to think of it, most of it was probably right on the Bay.
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Admiral Yi

The flipside of no stress is boredom and repetition.

DGuller

Quote from: Admiral Yi on April 24, 2013, 11:46:36 AM
:yeahright: Definitely doesn't apply to the #1 ranked profession.

fhdz

It depends.

A job where you have very little stress and can "leave your work at work" can result in more productive free time; some truly great authors, composers, etc. had very low-stress jobs (wherein they made enough money to cover their expenses) and were able to use their considerable brain power for other pursuits.

crazy canuck

I cant think of a position that has no stress.  There is a continuum of autonomy within all workplaces.  On one extreme are people who have no autonomy who always do what they are told when they are told to do it.  On the other extreme are people who have the freedom to decide what needs to be done and how and when to do it.  The latter has it own kind of stress but is more satisfying.  That former is mind dumbingly boring and can be highly stressful (especially if one has a dick for a manager).

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

fhdz

MadImmortalMan

Yeah. I've considered ditching the stress but being in a Wal-Mart greeter type job may be worse.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

fhdz

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on April 24, 2013, 01:06:23 PM

Yeah. I've considered ditching the stress but being in a Wal-Mart greeter type job may be worse.

Oh, it almost certainly would be worse, yes.

On the other hand, "Wal-Mart Greeter" isn't the only other option. For the same kind of salary you could be doing landscaping work. I don't know about you but I do a lot of my best thinking when I'm out in the fresh air, mowing the lawn, pruning trees, shoveling barkdust, tilling garden beds, etc. And as long as the work is of high quality and performed in a reasonable timeframe the customer - a real customer, who is exchanging money with you for a specified service, not someone who has come to shop at the store at which you work but may see no value in your presence there - is happy.