Rich get richer as economy gets better; everyone else is worse off

Started by merithyn, April 23, 2013, 01:31:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

DGuller

Quote from: Barrister on April 23, 2013, 02:48:21 PM
Debt.  With interest rates at historic lows consumers have been piling on debt.
:yeahright: Maybe the interest rates are driven that low precisely because people aren't piling on debt.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: fahdiz on April 23, 2013, 02:55:04 PM
Couldn't it be both problems?

There could be an infinite number of problems.  Your previous post suggested you saw it as single problem.

Malthus

Quote from: merithyn on April 23, 2013, 02:09:34 PM
Quote from: garbon on April 23, 2013, 02:07:31 PM
Quote from: merithyn on April 23, 2013, 02:03:38 PM
Quote from: garbon on April 23, 2013, 01:39:38 PM
Of course, by that the rich consist of 13% of households in the US.

Also how far off is that most recent commenter who pointed out that a large part of many people's networth had been their homes whose worth then tanked?

I thought that all happened prior to 2009.

According to this, looks like we bottomed in 2011, though yes biggest decline was before '09.

http://www.fool.com/investing/general/2013/03/21/us-home-prices-rise-to-2009-levels.aspx

So while that may have been part if it, it certainly wasn't all of it. Something else is causing that disparity.

According to the article linked to the table you posted ...

QuoteThe biggest difference between the most affluent group and everyone else, Pew said, is that the wealthiest households have their assets concentrated in stocks and other financial instruments, while others' wealth is concentrated in their homes.

Both stock and home values were pummeled during the recession. But in the recovery, stock values have rebounded nicely and have reached new highs. Housing values — particularly for those living in nonexclusive areas — have stayed mostly flat, although there have been some stirrings of a recovery in the past year.

Bottom line: the "rich" diversify asset classes (real estate plus equities, etc.); the "non-rich" who own assets, mostly own real estate alone. Diversification has, predictably enough, done better.

The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

fhdz

Quote from: Admiral Yi on April 23, 2013, 03:14:20 PM
Quote from: fahdiz on April 23, 2013, 02:55:04 PM
Couldn't it be both problems?

There could be an infinite number of problems.  Your previous post suggested you saw it as single problem.

No, no - I'm quite aware there are multiple problems. I was responding to your post, which seemed to suggest there was one solution.
and the horse you rode in on

Phillip V

Stocks and real estate snapped up at bargain prices the past few years. Quantitative easing and government aid to boost these assets. Rents rose and vacancy rates declined. Who has/had the cash+financing to get the bargains that have now significantly appreciated? Rich people.

Change We Can Believe In. Forward.

Malthus

Quote from: Phillip V on April 23, 2013, 04:57:34 PM
Stocks and real estate snapped up at bargain prices the past few years. Quantitative easing and government aid to boost these assets. Rents rose and vacancy rates declined. Who has/had the cash+financing to get the bargains that have now significantly appreciated? Rich people.

Change We Can Believe In. Forward.

Well, from the article, it is more like "rich" and "not-rich" alike took a bath on real estate - but when the stock market recovered and real estate stayed flat, this benefited the "rich" more. 
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

CountDeMoney

Quit sounding like class warfare warriors, people.  It's un-American.

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: garbon on April 23, 2013, 05:06:09 PM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on April 23, 2013, 05:03:29 PM
Quit sounding like class warfare warriors, people.  It's un-American.

I wasn't. :unsure:

You mentioned falling incomes.  It's a known fact that concept doesn't exist.  Incomes don't fall;  people simply become lazier.

MadImmortalMan

"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Malthus

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on April 23, 2013, 05:11:56 PM
The house prices have been skyrocketing back up too.

If the theory in the article is correct, this should even out the difference. Assuming house prices are skyrocketing at a rate no less than the stock market.

Admiral Yi

It looks to me like spike in house prices is very localized.  Just a few markets.

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.