And we're back!

Main Menu

Fav WW2 equipment.

Started by 11B4V, April 22, 2013, 11:07:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

11B4V

Quote from: Berkut on April 22, 2013, 03:49:18 PM
Quote from: derspiess on April 22, 2013, 03:40:31 PM

Also I think infantry anti-tank weapons deserve mention. 

That is easy. The Germans had the best by far.

The Panzerfaust as a disposable, 1 man weapon that made every enemy tank around terrified, and the Pazerschreck as the best crew served infantry AT weapon.

Both could destroy just about any target they were likely to come up against, and could be used against hardened positions as well (although with the PF you ahd to get pretty close).

The bazooka, while simple, effective, and a great weapon, simply could not reliably take out German armor.

:)

The Piat always makes me laugh

"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

derspiess

Quote from: Berkut on April 22, 2013, 03:49:18 PM
Quote from: derspiess on April 22, 2013, 03:40:31 PM

Also I think infantry anti-tank weapons deserve mention. 

That is easy. The Germans had the best by far.

The Panzerfaust as a disposable, 1 man weapon that made every enemy tank around terrified, and the Pazerschreck as the best crew served infantry AT weapon.

Both could destroy just about any target they were likely to come up against, and could be used against hardened positions as well (although with the PF you ahd to get pretty close).

The bazooka, while simple, effective, and a great weapon, simply could not reliably take out German armor.

Panzerfaust was the best, but in terms of favorite I'm sure the bazooka, PIAT, and improvised weapons have their followings.

I'm kind of partial to the Hafthohlladung, for the sheer ballsiness it required and also for the fact that it would destroy any tank.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

11B4V

Forgot about the Panzerknacker.  :lol: Yea that took some stones.
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

derspiess

Tanks: Panther (nothing comes close in my book)
Assault Gun: ISU-152 (big gun = good)
SP AT: Jagdtiger (not really a practical weapon system but cool as shit), honorable mention to the Hetzer
SP ARTY: Hummel
Armored Car: SdKfz 234
APC/Half Track: Sd.Kfz. 251 (you could mount about any weapon to it)

I think we should have at least 3 categories for tanks. 
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

dps

Quote from: 11B4V on April 22, 2013, 03:27:57 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on April 22, 2013, 03:01:44 PM
Quote from: 11B4V on April 22, 2013, 01:58:42 PM
Small arms is next category

1. Pistol- M1911
2. Submachines Gun- PPSh
3. Battle Rifle- M1 Garand
4. Light MG- BAR
5. Med MG- MG34/42
6. Heavy MG- Ma Deuce

I don't think BAR was a light machine gun.  It was sometimes used as one, but it never really worked well.  The best light machine gun was Type 99 in Japanese service.  You could put a bayonet on it!

We are not talking the best. FAVORITE. Read the original post.

Yeah, but there's some dispute as to whether or not the BAR counts as a LMG.

derspiess

Quote from: dps on April 22, 2013, 04:33:25 PM

It did fill that role in many cases.

11B4V

Quote from: derspiess on April 22, 2013, 04:30:23 PM
Tanks: Panther (nothing comes close in my book)
Assault Gun: ISU-152 (big gun = good)
SP AT: Jagdtiger (not really a practical weapon system but cool as shit), honorable mention to the Hetzer
SP ARTY: Hummel
Armored Car: SdKfz 234
APC/Half Track: Sd.Kfz. 251 (you could mount about any weapon to it)

I think we should have at least 3 categories for tanks.

Actually I was going to break it down by LT, Med, Heavy or by tonnage <10, <20, <35, <45, 46+. I just left it open in the end. Reason was (for example) Germans classed the Panther as a Medium tank at (49T) and the US classed the M26 as a heavy at (41T). The German heavy was the Tiger. IMO The M26 was a better match to the Panther. 

11B4V

Quote from: derspiess on April 22, 2013, 04:34:43 PM
Quote from: dps on April 22, 2013, 04:33:25 PM

It did fill that role in many cases.

Exactly.

derspiess

Quote from: 11B4V on April 22, 2013, 04:40:08 PM
Actually I was going to break it down by LT, Med, Heavy or by tonnage <10, <20, <35, <45, 46+. I just left it open in the end. Reason was (for example) Germans classed the Panther as a Medium tank at (49T) and the US classed the M26 as a heavy at (41T). The German heavy was the Tiger. IMO The M26 was a better match to the Panther. 

I'd not only break it down by light/medium/heavy but also early, mid, late war :P

11B4V

Quote from: derspiess on April 22, 2013, 04:46:22 PM
Quote from: 11B4V on April 22, 2013, 04:40:08 PM

I'd not only break it down by light/medium/heavy but also early, mid, late war :P

Feel free.  ;)

Ed Anger

To finish up:

Tanks:

Panther
Panzer II
Hezter
Stug

Warships:

Enterprise
Prinz Eugen
Atago
South Dakota

GUNS:

That soviet SMG
Mg 42
PIAT

Other:

Dead Polacks
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

mongers

No love for the Beaufighter, Typhoon or Sunderland ?
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Ed Anger

Quote from: mongers on April 22, 2013, 05:30:10 PM

Love the typhoon. Saw the beau fighter at the AF museum an it struck me as 'meh'.

I was too busy jacking off to the German shit there.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

mongers

Quote from: Ed Anger on April 22, 2013, 05:31:43 PM

Love the typhoon. Saw the beau fighter at the AF museum an it struck me as 'meh'.

RAF museum has a Sunderland set out so you can wander through it, strong impression that it's a boat.  :)
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Razgovory

Quote from: Ed Anger on April 22, 2013, 05:31:43 PM

The Germans make videos for that now.  You don't have to to a museum to do that anymore.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017