Started by Valmy, April 17, 2013, 10:43:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Baron von Schtinkenbutt

Quote from: merithyn on April 18, 2013, 09:11:10 AM
Quote from: Baron von Schtinkenbutt on April 18, 2013, 09:04:16 AM
Quote from: jimmy olsen on April 18, 2013, 06:31:36 AM
MSNBC is reporting 5-15 dead.
http://www.nbcnews.com/id/26852192/ns/msnbc-zeitgeist/vp/51580516/

Given the map below, one would think it will rise.

According to local reporting, the West volunteer fire department knew they were in over their heads pretty quickly[1].  West PD and Fire started evacuating the nursing home and apartment building before the actual explosion.

[1] The plant was on fire for about 2 hours prior to the explosion.

And the schools? Please tell me the schools were evacuated, too.

Since it happened at 2000, I doubt anyone but the night custodial staff was there.

Valmy

Quote from: merithyn on April 18, 2013, 09:11:10 AM
And the schools? Please tell me the schools were evacuated, too.

It exploded at night so hopefully there were only a few people there.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Baron von Schtinkenbutt

merithyn

Quote from: jimmy olsen on April 18, 2013, 01:10:51 AM
Explosion caught on video. Holy shit!

Also, they're speculating 70 dead! :(
The town is being evacuated.
http://www.kwkt.com/news/caught-camera-fertilizer-plant-explosion-near-waco

This is awful. That little girl just about made me cry. :(
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

CountDeMoney

Quote from: merithyn on April 18, 2013, 09:41:54 AM

They were interviewing him this morning with his kids, and he said there were a few people taking footage of the fire a lot closer to the blast than he was.
After the blast, he didn't see them anymore.

garbon

Quote from: derspiess on April 18, 2013, 08:59:02 AM
Quote from: Syt on April 18, 2013, 08:56:04 AM

That ran through my mind this morning.

I don't think I ever had that DLC. I was like I don't remember that in LA Noire. :blush:
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

derspiess

Quote from: CountDeMoney on April 18, 2013, 09:43:51 AM

They were interviewing him this morning with his kids, and he said there were a few people taking footage of the fire a lot closer to the blast than he was.

Particularly if I had my kids with me, I'd leave the area as soon as I could rather than record the damned thing.  Fires spread quickly and sometimes make things go kaboom. 
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

derspiess

Quote from: garbon on April 18, 2013, 09:49:53 AM
Quote from: derspiess on April 18, 2013, 08:59:02 AM
Quote from: Syt on April 18, 2013, 08:56:04 AM

That ran through my mind this morning.

I don't think I ever had that DLC. I was like I don't remember that in LA Noire. :blush:

That one takes you back to more arson cases.  Your partner things it's "the Reds" attacking when he sees the fireball.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

CountDeMoney

Quote from: derspiess on April 18, 2013, 09:50:50 AM
Particularly if I had my kids with me, I'd leave the area as soon as I could rather than record the damned thing.  Fires spread quickly and sometimes make things go kaboom.

Cars or fertilizer plants, it goes both ways.  :lol:

merithyn

Quote from: CountDeMoney on April 18, 2013, 09:43:51 AM

Jesus.

I need to crawl into my bed with a pitcher of warm milk laced with vanilla and my Anne of Green Gables books after this week. I am not equipped for this kind of stuff. :(
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

CountDeMoney

Quote from: merithyn on April 18, 2013, 09:57:15 AM
I need to crawl into my bed with a pitcher of warm milk laced with vanilla and my Anne of Green Gables books after this week. I am not equipped for this kind of stuff. :(

Hey, shit blows up all the time, anywhere at any moment every day, somewhere in this world.  Best you can hope for in this life is you're not within the blast radius.

Syt

Quote from: garbon on April 18, 2013, 09:49:53 AM

It's cool for the immediate aftermath and later getting to explore Howard Hughes' Spruce Goose, but overall a rather "meh" mission.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

The Brain

Government's view of risk and risk management is incredibly immature.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

MadImmortalMan

Quote from: Razgovory on April 18, 2013, 01:46:55 AM
Damn, I was wondering about zoning myself.

They have none in most places in Texas.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Baron von Schtinkenbutt

Quote from: Baron von Schtinkenbutt on April 18, 2013, 09:04:16 AM
[1] The plant was on fire for about 2 hours prior to the explosion.

Either I misheard or this was initially misreported, but according to a 1000 press conference the explosion was 24 minutes after the initial emergency call.  The rest of what I stated is still accurate.