News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The liberal arts

Started by Ideologue, April 17, 2013, 09:55:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Worth a damn?  Obviously not, but U-DECIDE

Still taught in HS and financed as non-teaching college degrees (status quo)
18 (45%)
Still taught in HS, not financed as non-teaching college degrees
4 (10%)
Not taught in HS... then we don't need specialized teaching degrees, now do we?
2 (5%)
I believe that all education is a benefit to hahahaha just kidding who would vote for this option?
11 (27.5%)
Only fund such degrees as offered at JIB University
2 (5%)
Other
3 (7.5%)

Total Members Voted: 40

Phillip V

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on April 29, 2013, 01:10:07 PM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on April 29, 2013, 12:57:51 PM
The days of engineering types running major companies are over.

That's a great tell for when a company's "growth" period ends. When the engineer who started it gets replaced by some person of a different field.

That's my dream. I have no hard technical skills, but I weasel tech stuff into my job descriptions and titles for my largely admin roles. Later, I will manage the people with the hard technical skills.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: fahdiz on April 29, 2013, 01:27:37 PM
The "downward" period begins when instead of hiring a humanities visionary they promote their CFO to CEO.

"You asked for miracles, Theo...I give you the M.B.A."

OttoVonBismarck

Quote from: Caliga on April 29, 2013, 12:36:45 PM
I find some of those starting salaries impossible to believe, unless they were only polling people working in Manhattan, Silicon Valley, Chicago, etc.

Which ones concern you that way? The petroleum engineers are almost definitely not working in Chicago, Manhattan, or SF.

Caliga

The Computer Science, MIS, and Finance ones basically.  The petroleum engineer one actually sounded reasonable to me.
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

MadImmortalMan

63k is about right for a network engineer type I'd say.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Admiral Yi

Fun factoid:  every single Mickey D's CEO has started out as a grunt and climbed the ranks.

Caliga

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on April 29, 2013, 02:29:19 PM
63k is about right for a network engineer type I'd say.
Even for a guy straight out of school with no experience? :hmm:

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Admiral Yi on April 29, 2013, 02:31:10 PM
Fun factoid:  every single Mickey D's CEO has started out as a grunt and climbed the ranks.

Were they engineers?

Jacob

That's actually really cool.

fhdz

Quote from: Jacob on April 29, 2013, 02:36:30 PM

That's actually really cool.

It is. Makes it kind of a shame that they're in bed with all the companies who are completely assfucking our food supply.
and the horse you rode in on

Phillip V

My fantasy if I get banished from the government/military realm is to begin work at the lowest levels of McDonald's or WalMart and then rise towards the top. :)

All work is honorable!

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Phillip V on April 29, 2013, 02:41:30 PM
My fantasy if I get banished from the government/military realm is to begin work at the lowest levels of McDonald's or WalMart and then rise towards the top. :)

All work is honorable!

That certainly solves my dilemma.  Who needs HSPD-7 and -12 when there's McGriddles to be made?

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Caliga

Quote from: garbon on April 29, 2013, 02:59:32 PM
Egg White McMuffins!
Are those any good?  I haven't been to breakfast at McDonald's in a while (fortunately for my cholesterol).