And we're back!

Main Menu

Obama....Is the Messiah Complex over?

Started by Josephus, May 23, 2009, 11:09:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Barrister

Quote from: Josephus on May 23, 2009, 06:45:11 PM
Quote from: Savonarola on May 23, 2009, 04:50:20 PM

Dynamite stuff, and delivered flawlessly.  He can make a strong emotional appeal and gloss over that he's enacting policies that he was critical of a year ago.

That is certainly his strength. Rhetoric. And I'm a leftie.  :cool: But I never fell for his charm.

If I were to write an essay, my thesis would be this: America is the anti-thesis of democracy. In truth there are two political parties. One black, the other a dark shade of blue. And that is the extent of the political spectrum. America calling itself a democracy is no different than East Germany calling itself the Democatic German Republic.  America is a hair's breath away from a one-party state. It gives the illusion of there being a multi-party democracy by holding elections every four years. Even North Korea holds elections.

In truth though, nothing can change that basic fundemental that it is the same people, or more accurately, the same influence, that runs the country; no matter who's in power.

:rolleyes: never felt so appropriate.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Habbaku

The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

garbon

Quote from: Habbaku on May 23, 2009, 07:18:51 PM
Please stop using idioms you don't even know.

My hair needs to breathe! :angry:
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Habbaku

I hope my next job has French benefits.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

garbon

You'd better watch it, mister. You're skating on tinged ice.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

grumbler

Josephus, stop trying to make a slick purse out of a sow's ear.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Razgovory

I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Razgovory

Quote from: grumbler on May 23, 2009, 08:22:07 PM

wuz dat mean.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

garbon

Quote from: grumbler on May 23, 2009, 08:22:07 PM

I don't know, that's a pretty sick purse, man.

Josephus

Breadth.
You wouldn't know I'm an editor in real life.

Garbon, Habbaku, et.al. I shall be watching your every post from now on. Let him that's never made a spelling error, left a "d" out of a word, cast the first stone,etc.

I shall be watching you all with eagle lies.

Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

garbon

Quote from: Josephus on May 23, 2009, 09:48:30 PM

Indeed.  An editor would likely have whisked away everything after the word "charm."

saskganesh

Quote from: garbon on May 23, 2009, 09:52:36 PM
Quote from: Josephus on May 23, 2009, 09:48:30 PM

Indeed.  An editor would likely have whisked away everything after the word "charm."

likely only in a substantive edit, not a copy edit.
humans were created in their own image

Josephus

Aah,  I see. It's not the minor spelling error that got your panties in a knot. It's my argument that the Republicans and Democrats are so close together on the political spectrum, you can hardly tell them apart.

But since you couldn't put together a half-decent and intelligent rebuttal, you opted to pick on the typo. ;)
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

garbon

I played along with Habbs because it was fun.  Your sad ramble was like a Raz post or the homeless man that yells at you on the street. It is unseemly to respond to such things.

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Josephus on May 23, 2009, 10:02:25 PM
Aah,  I see. It's not the minor spelling error that got your panties in a knot. It's my argument that the Republicans and Democrats are so close together on the political spectrum, you can hardly tell them apart.

But since you couldn't put together a half-decent and intelligent rebuttal, you opted to pick on the typo. ;)

The reason the parties are so similar on certain issues is because the American electorate agrees with them, not because our system is undemocratic.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?