And we're back!

Main Menu

4x

Started by PDH, April 16, 2013, 09:10:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PDH

Quote from: katmai on April 17, 2013, 03:49:27 PM

Clearly that wasn't the case...

That's what I thought.  Clearly I am better at accepting pap now, but nothing has satisfied.
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

crazy canuck

Quote from: PDH on April 17, 2013, 04:12:18 PM
Quote from: katmai on April 17, 2013, 03:49:27 PM

Clearly that wasn't the case...

That's what I thought.  Clearly I am better at accepting pap now, but nothing has satisfied.

I cant get no satisfaction

PDH

Quote from: Alcibiades on April 17, 2013, 09:37:56 AM
Check out Stardrive yet?   Pretty good game and the customization of ships is pretty neat that most of you would get lost in it and only do that.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/220660/

Has an open beta if you buy it, release date is officially the 26th.  One man project, pretty impressive.

Well fuck, I bought in to it.
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

Alcibiades

Let me know what you think.   :)
Wait...  What would you know about masculinity, you fucking faggot?  - Overly Autistic Neil

OTOH, if you think that a Jew actually IS poisoning the wells you should call the cops. IMHO.   - The Brain

crazy canuck

Quote from: PDH on April 17, 2013, 08:39:15 PM
Quote from: Alcibiades on April 17, 2013, 09:37:56 AM
Check out Stardrive yet?   Pretty good game and the customization of ships is pretty neat that most of you would get lost in it and only do that.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/220660/

Has an open beta if you buy it, release date is officially the 26th.  One man project, pretty impressive.

Well fuck, I bought in to it.

I try and I try and I try.

I cant get no....

Well let us know if this one satisfies.

MadBurgerMaker

Stardrive is pretty good.  Still needs some work though.  I've seen someone saying there will be a big patch when the game gets officially released, so that'll be cool.  I think it was in the SA thread, which zero posts in, so hey maybe he was the one who said that. vOv

PDH

I hope there will be a big patch.

Good -
It draws from MOO2 in a loving way. 
The races are archetypes and that is what it should be. 
The ship customization is quite good, it can take a nice long time to make a new ship - though there are plenty of "ok" ships of each class to choose from if one doesn't like this. 
It is easy enough to jump into, complex enough that one learns things even after a few long play throughs.
Space combat is not just move from square to square, but pseudo-inertial movement where your ships take maddeningly long times to turn around.
Real time is not bad, a pause (like the EU games) lets you do your orders or whatever else.

Bad -
AI is stinky, at best.  Sure, the other races colonize and research, but it seems like they sort of cheat.  By the mid game of normal level they are running quite a bit behind.
Documentation even with the help is...sparse.  Sure, with enough sorting one can figure out how to send marines down from orbit, but that takes a long while of searching and fumbling around.
Why are galaxies always flat?
The other races are too...programmed.  Some always fight, some always will at least try for peace.
Science is too easy after a time - once an empire gets running it is just bam, bam, bam - new discovery.

Other than that, there are a few glitches as expected in beta, and a lot of polishing left to do.  I for one never so much cared about how a ship looked as what I could cram on it, and this game is for that kind of person.  It seems as if there isn't too much "blam - you're dead" stuff here, rather a lot of incremental stuff in the science (arms) arena.  A bunch of mid-level ships can take down a high end ship, for instance.

We will see after the full release happens.  For now, it was worth MY money.
-Umberto Eco

-------

-CdM

Alcibiades

One of the things is that the different races only build ships that are the generic versions or you have designed.  Not sure if hes made it so you can download other people's databases, yet.
Wait...  What would you know about masculinity, you fucking faggot?  - Overly Autistic Neil

OTOH, if you think that a Jew actually IS poisoning the wells you should call the cops. IMHO.   - The Brain

The Brain

Quote from: PDH on April 20, 2013, 07:46:24 PM

The races are archetypes and that is what it should be. 

Bigot.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Cecil

Quote from: PDH on April 20, 2013, 07:46:24 PM

We will see after the full release happens.  For now, it was worth MY money.

Mine too. I downloaded it on friday evening and started up a game. When next time I looked up from the computer 15 hours had passed and it was the day after. Addictive gameplay indeed.,

Berkut

Hmmm, the plan is for MP after release...

I am: intrigued.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Alcibiades

:yes:

Developer is pretty sweet, responds to individual posts and threads on the forum, is very active.

Like I said, this is really impressive for a one man show. 

Berkut

Pulled trigger.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Tamas

Quote from: Alcibiades on April 23, 2013, 12:41:15 PM
:yes:

Developer is pretty sweet, responds to individual posts and threads on the forum, is very active.

Like I said, this is really impressive for a one man show.

I bought this also but.. developer sweet?

he fucked over EVERYONE who preordered in Desura. He moved to Steam, and since he didnt bother to take note of who purchased over at Desura, he decided he cant hand out Steam keys to them, but alas, has stopped updating the Desura copy of the game. OOOPS!

Alcibiades

Hadn't heard that, guess ymmv