News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Company of Heroes 2 beta

Started by Razgovory, April 16, 2013, 06:33:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Queequeg

Jews were disproportionately targeted in the Purges, so if he'd lost his entire family in the 30s I think the comparison might be possible; but if his family was targeted then I don't know how he is an officer in 41.  It's all a bit silly.  And yeah, there's really no understanding of how horrifying the German occupation was, or that their entire goal in the war was the extermination of the peoples of the USSR.
Quote from: PDH on April 25, 2009, 05:58:55 PM
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

Syt

Russian distributor 1c has pulled the game from sales in Russia/CIS.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Queequeg

Quote from: Syt on August 07, 2013, 02:57:35 PM
Kind of silly.  A lot of stuff is super overblown (Soviet soldiers who left their post to rescue their commanding officer, retaking a town and killing a shitton of German-Fascists are shot on sight), and some of it is poorly written, but I think it actually comes close to capturing at least a little bit of the idiosyncrasies of the Soviet war machine-I like that artillery is way more important and devastating, and the lack of a barracks makes things super-centralized.
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

Razgovory

Quote from: Queequeg on August 07, 2013, 06:01:20 PM
Quote from: Syt on August 07, 2013, 02:57:35 PM
Kind of silly.  A lot of stuff is super overblown (Soviet soldiers who left their post to rescue their commanding officer, retaking a town and killing a shitton of German-Fascists are shot on sight), and some of it is poorly written, but I think it actually comes close to capturing at least a little bit of the idiosyncrasies of the Soviet war machine-I like that artillery is way more important and devastating, and the lack of a barracks makes things super-centralized.

Wait, which part do they shoot the Germans on sight?  I thought the Polish thing could have been done better.  Instead of murdering the Polish resitance fighters, there should have been a mission where you help them set up the revolt and the fall back to watch them die, something the Soviets actually did.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Queequeg

The push was exhausted. That's an urban myth.

And SOVIET soldiers are killed by NKVD for saving officer and killing Germans.

Queequeg

So am I missing something or does the game totally skip Operations Uranus and Bagration, and Kursk?

Razgovory

Quote from: Queequeg on August 07, 2013, 08:31:27 PM
The push was exhausted. That's an urban myth.

And SOVIET soldiers are killed by NKVD for saving officer and killing Germans.

Oh, come on now.  Warsaw was only a few miles away when the uprising started and the Soviets didn't move on the city for several months.  The uprising began in early August and the Soviets took the city in mid January.  They could have gotten out and pushed their tanks to Waraw in that time.  In the time period they overran Romania and Bulgaria and most of Hungary so weren't that exhausted.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Queequeg

So is there ever any reason to use a Soviet MG over a captured German one?

crazy canuck

Quote from: Queequeg on August 13, 2013, 11:46:37 AM

If the game play is the same as the original, isnt it always better to have a basic infantry unit pick up the advanced weapons of the enemy?

Razgovory

Quote from: crazy canuck on August 13, 2013, 02:52:36 PM
Quote from: Queequeg on August 13, 2013, 11:46:37 AM

If the game play is the same as the original, isnt it always better to have a basic infantry unit pick up the advanced weapons of the enemy?

I think he's talking about the heavy MGs.  In this game the Soviet heavy MGs have a much more narrow arch of fire then the German ones.  The only disadvantage to using the German MGs as the Soviets is that you can't build them so you have to kill the German crews first.

Queequeg

Also seem to have much slower rate of fire.  I mean, I get that the MG42 was an amazing weapon but it's a huge advantage for the Germans.

crazy canuck

33% off weekend sale on Steam.  Now 40 bucks.  Worth it or wait for a bigger reduction?

Razgovory

Quote from: crazy canuck on September 19, 2013, 06:48:24 PM
33% off weekend sale on Steam.  Now 40 bucks.  Worth it or wait for a bigger reduction?

Have you played through the original and opposing forces expansion? ( I really liked the British campaign).  If so you can take a whack at it.

sbr

Why do you say that?  Original is better and cheaper?

It something else?

Razgovory

Quote from: sbr on September 19, 2013, 11:33:09 PM
Why do you say that?  Original is better and cheaper?

It something else?

Yes, I liked the original better.