Economic Argument for Austerity Based on Excel Error?

Started by Jacob, April 16, 2013, 06:10:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

OttoVonBismarck

This is a message board have the good manners to summarize a long PDF.

1. Identify the three post-Bretton Woods recessions you are talking about.
2. Identify spending as a percentage of GDP during the year those recessions began and each of the next four years.
3. Identify GDP growth rate for the year of the three other recessions you are talking about and each of the next four years.

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: OttoVonBismarck on April 18, 2013, 04:40:27 PM

I gave a reference to a 4 page box that contains less text than the sum total of your posts in this thread in a single day.  I also specifically referenced a single chart.  Even for the chronically lazy, that should not be too much of a challenge.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

OttoVonBismarck

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on April 18, 2013, 04:45:08 PM
Quote from: OttoVonBismarck on April 18, 2013, 04:40:27 PM

I gave a reference to a 4 page box that contains less text than the sum total of your posts in this thread in a single day.  I also specifically referenced a single chart.  Even for the chronically lazy, that should not be too much of a challenge.

You've obviously underestimated the laziness involved.

The Minsky Moment

:lol:

Ok.
The prior recessions in the sample are 1975, 1982, and 1991.
GDP changes (from BEA)
1975-79  -0.2 5.4 4.6 5.6 3.1
1982-86  -1.9 4.5 7.2 4.1 3.5
1991-1995  -0.2 3.4 2.9 4.1 2.5
2009-2013  -3.1 2.4 1.8 2.2 ??
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

fhdz

Quote from: Jacob on April 17, 2013, 09:14:07 PM
Quote from: fahdiz on April 17, 2013, 09:02:53 PMWhich one is that, Jake?

I don't know fadhz, why don't you tell us?

I don't have a prevailing economic theory beyond "often the steps taken to try and 'correct' boom and bust cycles make both the booms and the busts more extreme and more damaging". I generally try to take a pretty pragmatic view of economics - is it working? If not, why do we keep doing it? Etc.
and the horse you rode in on

MadImmortalMan

Quote from: fahdiz on April 19, 2013, 11:28:17 AM
I don't have a prevailing economic theory beyond "often the steps taken to try and 'correct' boom and bust cycles make both the booms and the busts more extreme and more damaging". I generally try to take a pretty pragmatic view of economics - is it working? If not, why do we keep doing it? Etc.

So which is better, frequent and short or infrequent and more severe?
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

fhdz

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on April 19, 2013, 12:12:50 PM

Frequent and short seems to make the system better, primarily because when they are frequent and short they also tend to be milder shocks and contribute to a stronger system overall. Among the analogies Taleb uses, with which I feel a certain amount of agreement, are forest fires and airlines. Smaller forest fires end up preventing the really big forest fires and one accident/quality problem in the airlines, because of the steps taken after such an accident, decrease the likelihood that we'll end up having 15 planes all fall out of the sky later.

It's like finding yourself sliding off the road in a car - overcorrection always makes your slide (and resulting accident) much, much worse.

The current methods of correction for the economy allow much deeper problems to continue, making resulting crashes (which cannot be predicted with any great success) much more disastrous. Our system is so fragile because risk management methods are predicated around predicting the next disaster - x - without focus on our *exposure* to different kinds of shocks - F(x). Historically we do an awful job of predicting x, but it does seem that we can have some success controlling exposure because it is non-predictive.

DGuller

Quote from: fahdiz on April 19, 2013, 12:22:58 PM
Quote from: MadImmortalMan on April 19, 2013, 12:12:50 PM

Frequent and short seems to make the system better, primarily because when they are frequent and short they also tend to be milder shocks and contribute to a stronger system overall. Among the analogies Taleb uses, with which I feel a certain amount of agreement, are forest fires and airlines. Smaller forest fires end up preventing the really big forest fires and one accident/quality problem in the airlines, because of the steps taken after such an accident, decrease the likelihood that we'll end up having 15 planes all fall out of the sky later.

It's like finding yourself sliding off the road in a car - overcorrection always makes your slide (and resulting accident) much, much worse.

The current methods of correction for the economy allow much deeper problems to continue, making resulting crashes (which cannot be predicted with any great success) much more disastrous. Our system is so fragile because risk management methods are predicated around predicting the next disaster - x - without focus on our *exposure* to different kinds of shocks - F(x). Historically we do an awful job of predicting x, but it does seem that we can have some success controlling exposure because it is non-predictive.
I agree with this and disagree at the same time.  It's true that when you manage all the high frequency, low severity risks, what winds up happening is that the risk that will get you is the Black Swan risk.  On the other hand, is that necessarily a bad thing?  Those high frequency, low severity events can inflict huge costs.  Our civilization advanced on the back of eliminating a lot of everyday risks at the cost of making it more vulnerable to mega-disasters, and I think we got a good deal.

The Minsky Moment

We did succeed in preventing the rare, high severity risk.  In fact, we haven't had a high severity event in the developed world since the early 1930s.  That compares favorably with the record under 19th century laissez faire where catastrophic panics happened roughly every 20 years (e.g. 1857, 1873, 1893, 1907 in the US).  The forest fire analogy doesn't work at all in this context because we are dealing with a behavioral system here, not a physical sysem.
--Joan Robinson

Razgovory

I don't think that's really pragmatism.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

fhdz

Quote from: DGuller on April 19, 2013, 01:50:58 PM
I agree with this and disagree at the same time.  It's true that when you manage all the high frequency, low severity risks, what winds up happening is that the risk that will get you is the Black Swan risk.  On the other hand, is that necessarily a bad thing?  Those high frequency, low severity events can inflict huge costs.  Our civilization advanced on the back of eliminating a lot of everyday risks at the cost of making it more vulnerable to mega-disasters, and I think we got a good deal.

I agree that there are costs associated with high frequency/low severity events, but I think the costs of making ourselves vulnerable to mega-disasters are a bit more hidden and potentially far more severe. It's sort of like paying off an amortized loan over time as opposed to paying less but having a sudden, unexpected, and crippling balloon payment somewhere along the line. I wouldn't say that our current economic structure represents stability; I'd suggest that it gives the illusion of stability while most benefitting those who capitalize on risk without any real skin in the game.

Furthermore, it's not like we have managed to entirely eradicate high-frequency/low severity events, either. They still exist.

fhdz

Quote from: Razgovory on April 19, 2013, 06:01:14 PM

I don't think that's really pragmatism.

OK

fhdz

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on April 19, 2013, 02:15:28 PM
We did succeed in preventing the rare, high severity risk.  In fact, we haven't had a high severity event in the developed world since the early 1930s.

You may have been untouched by the events of 2008 and onward, I suppose.

I typically find your posts exceptionally wise, or at least staggeringly well-informed, but this answer strikes me as one of the most ivory-toweresque things I've ever read from you.

CountDeMoney

That's because he's employed.  They get like that.